When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Rolex models from the Basel 2008 Show

piratedzeus

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I was posting my last message, I happened to catch the tail end of the new C-Class Mercedes tv commercial. What caught my attention is how utterly hot-rod-like these cars are & how the marketing emphasis is no longer promoting fine luxury cars, but, instead, pitching boy-racer toys with lots of smoke & tail slides. This would have been unheard of 5 years ago, but now it is reality. And Rolex is doing the exact same thing.

I actually like the turn that things have taken with Rolex. I don't like modern rollies, so the appeal of the vintages is only heightened by this development. The more contrast there is between the classic pieces and this modern crap, the more value that the 'timeless' rolex pieces will have in the eyes of buyers and collectors.

I never liked the modern rollies even before this latest debauchery. They seem to me like they were a company who couldn't change their designs because of their success. They got out of touch with the market as a result, and once the market had changed and they needed to update things, they were at a loss because they've been complacent with updates to their watch line-up.

I think the other major brands have done a much better job of staying contemporary and relevant because they had to. Rolex didn't have to, and what we're learning is that they've really lost touch as a result. Even if you like the classic look of rolex, you have to admit that brands like IWC and Breitling and Omega would never release such an abomination. They couldn't afford to. I think that Rolex has become irrelevant in the modern watch world.

I wouldn't dream of getting a modern rollie before one of the cooler modern watches from other brands. The reason I like their vintage pieces is because it represents the boom and golden age of the mechanical watch as a status symbol and piece of personally relevant engineering.

Now, with the information age, many young people have never even owned a watch- they just look at their cell phone. That's why I find the other brands more interesting for modern watches- they're still at least pushing the envelope in terms of design (HBB) or function (Cousteau Divers). They are trying to stay relevant by introducing new technology and designs, and are being driven by much greater pressure to come up with a success than Rolex, who haven't really needed to market themselves for the last fifty years.

Would I be correct in seeing the rehault on the SD as being bullnosed?

Also there is something very wrong about that shade of blue in their new sub, maybe it would look better if it had a black bezel but as it is it looks terrible.

Ken

Wow, Im not going to repeat what everyone else is saying about how hideous these are. I do like (what looks to be) the engraved ceramic bezel on the sub, though. The blue is just goofy, though, and I cant stand the ROLEX ROLEX ROLEX on the rehaut.... so sad....

I think the ceramic looks cheap. I cant look at the new watches and not get a little sad. There are so many things wrong with the proportions of these watches. Its a sad day....

on a side note, here is the real rolex deep sea...

cks_1.jpg

Edited by its_urabus

wow that original deep sea looks funky

i gotta say i do NOT like the new watches - the case look to slab like - no sexy curves like my 16800 - the lugs are way too fat

almost like they didn't want to change their bracelets but wanted a trendy bigger case so they just made the lugs fatter. the crown guards are nasty and I have never been a fan of the engraving on the rehaut

i think rolex have made some the most beautiful understated watches ever and they had the special one offs that where gaudy as hell.

now it seems trendy and gaudy are the norm

too sad - at least my wife and i have our gens - i wanted a daytona but from looks and direction they are going i will need to get a tudor as the older style daytonas are going to be uber expensive

I'm actually quite surprised that the SD creates so strong negative feelings.

I don't think it's horrible like the YM2, just boring.

Disappointing? No, I was excepting something like this.

The new "ceramic" GMT is much further away from its design roots than the new "DeepSea" SeaDweller (imho). Still people consider it a great looking watch. In my opinion, the new GMT f*cked up everything what was so amazing about the 1675 and 16710. You can't explain it in words, it's the original "spirit" that was gone. Just imho, of course.

This SD is pretty much the same design to me. Same can be said about the Sub... they both look pretty much what they were excepted to look.

Yeah, the old models are about million times nicer, and I 100% agree that Rolex has completely lost its touch. But if the ceramic GMT got accepted, why not these?

PS: I think the new "stainless Submariner" is a Photoshop job. As far as I know, they have only released white & yellow gold models of it. So the real one (whenever it gets released) won't necessarily have polished middle links.

Guest carlsbadrolex
Um, the 116710 has a sort of clean and nice look. Sill, it is not appreciated as much as older models. The YMII is just butt ugly and everybody means it. The new line of SD, Sub etc are just plain fugly, there is nothing correct about them design wise. Rolex goes with the time, and probably sadly this is what todays customer demands - I HAVE A ROLEX YOU IDIOT LOOK AT MY WRIST!!! That's why the new Dipsi is 43mm.

Well, Chinas rep industry will def. have a rise again - they can now crank out their awful reps, the old, bad and cheap ones, as 1:1 models of the future. Looks like once again China has the big crystal ball of forseeing what Rolex screws up next time.

Further proof that Rolex has no intention of actually shutting down the rep. market! In this case they appear to be making things easier for the rep factories!

Nice work Rolex!!!

SHUDDER. ALMOST 4K depth rating! i wouldnt be caught 10meters below the surface, many people wouldnt. the deepsea kind of looks like the old Tag Diver watch. i like the ceramic dial but thats about it. the rest is AND always WAS SPOON. even commercial COMEX divers dont go below 700meters. i think the 16610 and current sea dwellers will become highly sought after collectors pieces... all that deep-sea is missing is some diamond hour markers :lol:

Like the Smurf-mariner tho subfrog : )

I happen to like the new Submariner. There is a certain design purity that is undeniably Rolex. I wonder how much of this negative reaction is merely group mentality? A year from now, I bet many of the initial naysayers will be wanting one of these new Subs or SD's. Change is good. It's not exactly as if the old Submariners will be disappearing from the face of the planet so why can't these new models be accepted?

PS. I do think the new SD is fugly as hell.

Edited by The Mentalist

It's quite ironic that most of our Rolex fans don't like the new versions, while I as a non-Rolex fan (I do love the Vintage Daytona and the old YM, though) really love the new SD. The only thing that kind of disturbs me are the text engravings on the rehaut.

I guess what attracts me and disturbs others is the bigger size and the more bulky look. Most Rolex models look a bit too small to my taste. But hey, I'm a PAM fan, :p .

i like the new sea-dweller but i HATE those crown guards.. they just look "cheap"

as for the rehaut, its actually a dual angle rehaut... the crystal sits on top of where it says original escape valve. Theres some other pics on the AD site that show how thick the crystal really is.. looks to be about half a cm thick LOL yikes! Well it is waterproof to 4km so it would have to be pretty tough.

Heres a pic i stole from crick over at RWI :) He took the screenshot off the Rolex site i believe...

Picture1.jpg

Edited by L-dizzle