When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Discrepancy in Number of Replies vs Number of Views

Toadtorrent

Hi,

I've been around this board in terms of hours spent, a lot more than the short time I've been a member, and I feel that in this short time, I have gained so much knowledge since I first started in terms of rep quality, dealers, technical info, options, modding, culture, straps, fashion...you name it.

There are so many knowledgeable members on this board it blows my mind. What blows it more, is that there are so many knowledgeable members who are willing to spend the time to write countless articles as a way to share information and put back to the community...not for pay, watches, glory or anything...just wanting to put back a little something for what they've gained. I won't name names...we know who some are...and to name a few and not all would not be fair to the others.

I've noticed a number of threads with huge view counts...like 1000+ views...and then maybe 9 comments.

Is it me, or does this seem a bit rude?

I'll admit I can be pretty lazy most of the time, but I think if we gain something useful (be it positive or negative) from reading a post, I think we should let the author know we appreciate the time they have spent. It's common courtesy.

My toddler was saying thank you to pay people when we walked through doors who were going to blast on through without holding the door for me in spite of me wheeling a stroller and carrying a second kid...only to have the passer-by guiltily and sheepishly turn around to hold the door for us only AFTER hearing my toddler saying thank you for something they had no intention of doing.

It's sad when a toddler is teaching an adult manners.

I challenge RWG folks to:

- Increase their post counts

- Improve their karma

- Pass good will

- Encourage each other to share more information

by posting replies, feedback, ratings...whatever. It will be good for you...and good for the community.

Usually i don't feel I have much to offer as a reply, so just give ratings for posts I like. I would encourage others to use the rating system more too. I tend to listen rather than talk, better to keep my mouth shut than open it and have people realize I don't know nothin'!

I myself once was the kindest man I ever knew. And I still ended up divorced and living in a shack.

But at least it's a shack with a nicely filled watch box. HAH.

I'm not talking about finances, personal life, professional development, etc...I'm talking about the things that matter...watches. ;)

Usually i don't feel I have much to offer as a reply, so just give ratings for posts I like. I would encourage others to use the rating system more too. I tend to listen rather than talk, better to keep my mouth shut than open it and have people realize I don't know nothin'!

I hear you...I've only recently started to use the rating system more. Considering users like Lady V (aka Victoria) are so encouraging and deliver probably 00 ratings a day, I figure I can squeeze in a few extra mouse clicks for something that might have saved me a few hundred dollars from a scam or poor maintenance on a nice rep.

I've noticed a number of threads with huge view counts...like 1000+ views...and then maybe 9 comments.

Is it me, or does this seem a bit rude?

I'll admit I can be pretty lazy most of the time, but I think if we gain something useful (be it positive or negative) from reading a post, I think we should let the author know we appreciate the time they have spent. It's common courtesy.

My toddler was saying thank you to pay people when we walked through doors who were going to blast on through without holding the door for me in spite of me wheeling a stroller and carrying a second kid...only to have the passer-by guiltily and sheepishly turn around to hold the door for us only AFTER hearing my toddler saying thank you for something they had no intention of doing.

It's sad when a toddler is teaching an adult manners.

I challenge RWG folks to:

- Increase their post counts

- Improve their karma

- Pass good will

- Encourage each other to share more information

by posting replies, feedback, ratings...whatever. It will be good for you...and good for the community.

Sorry Toadtorrent, but I'm afraid I don't agree 100%

"Quality over quantity" is, to me, the paramount of a successful internet website or forum. I would rather have 9 intelligent, insightful, or entertaining contributions than 200 repetitive, generic, non-constructive replies made solely to increase post count and, in turn, popularity.

Furthermore, buttons have now been invented to allow users to "thank" or "rate" various posts, making it unnecessary to create a separate post except in some circumstances.

If you ask me, RWG is on the right track in balancing user frequency with overall board atmosphere. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge here and most of the people sharing have something important to say. I, too, encourage any shy members to voice their opinions, questions, and responses - but let us not forget the guiding rule we share with so many newcomers: education. I believe we should be patient with users who prefer just reading, and learning about, this wonderful hobby.

Edited by Corgi

Hello-

I have been around tis board for some time but have never thought that my post count was very important.

Being one of the older members in age I am still around on a Saturday night.

I have read your post and think that I get the point, but somehow I think that you are trying to make a part of a point that I still do not get.

If you have taught your toddler to say "thank you" in social situations what are you worried about? They will be just fine.

Carl

I forgot to mention, I think we should have a feature where members could delete their own posts. Like this one I just made, inadvertently double-posting.

Gosh this makes me look bad.....

Edited by Corgi

Sorry Toadtorrent, but I'm afraid I don't agree 100%

"Quality over quantity" is, to me, the paramount of a successful internet website or forum.

That's true...I'm not saying posting for everything or for the sake of posting...I'm saying posting when you have found information of use and quality to say thanks!

I forgot to mention, I think we should have a feature where members could delete their own posts. Like this one I just made, inadvertently double-posting.

Corgi,

There is a VERY good reason why we don't have a delete posts option! And why even the admin team in general, make posts invisible, but do not delete them, as the content remains accessable to the team. It is one of our options to be able to check back, if a deal goes south. If the poster could delete what he said, historical info would be lost!

If anyone needs a post deleted, contact admin, we will do with it what we feel is best.

Offshore

Although I am not yet a supporter....I will voice my opinion....

I think its important that people get their questions answered....and I think that this forum is doing a good job of that....

I also think its important that people know what the heck they are talking about when they answer peoples questions....and this forum does an excellent job of that....

Maybe thats part of the reason why the replies count is so low on several of the threads....the question has already been answered or the general point of view has been conveyed....

NS

Toadtorrent,

Your thread is a good idea.

Not new, but a good idea.

It has been said before and yes we should all take the time to let the OP that we read and appreciate their review.

I myself spend a lot of time here and not always share my feelings after having read someting new.

It's a shame :(

Cheers

Stephane

If I post a post and 10 people read it, I get 10 views. If one person replies and the same 10 people read it, I get 20 views and 1 reply. If another person replies and the same 10 read it again, that's 2 replies and 30 views. Very easy to do, especially when it's an interesting thread with only two or three main contributors discussing often and 20-30 people waiting for an outcome.

Post count isn't everything, but ratings are great. :)

View count is not particularly revealing. If there is a post of particular interest to a person they will often check back multiple times. As the size of the membership grows I would expect the discrepancy between posts and views to only grow. Having said that, I do hope that people will post if they have something to add or are trying to get a related question answered. The counterpoint to lack of posting from a reader's perspective is wasting a lot of time on longer loops where it is the same thing over and over again.

I think it is different between topics opened "just" to raise a discussion, and informative posts like answers to specific questions, or tutorials.

I think that Toadtorrent was referring to the second type of posts when he started this topic. And I thank him for doing it.

What I can say is that, when I answer a specific question, a reply -- even a simple "tank you" -- is appreciated.

A "thanks" rating is appreciated as well, but especially from members who are not the one originally asking the question.

I also have to say there has been a time, a few months ago, when courtesy was looking almost forgotten, but now things are going much better.

On my personal book, anyway, those who don't even care to leave a thanks when I answer their question(s) are going to get no new answers from me on possible next questions...