When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

BTR 1911 - it's here, finally

z3k0

Well, this is funny since I was at recently open AD this morning, checking out this piece, and contemplating about buying gen (nice lady there offered me nice discount for cash) - and I come home and find that Joshua have it :1a:

Of course there is one thing that coud be done better - rotor. On gen it has really specific and very nicely done rotor. Of course movement is completely different, since it's Ebel in house, but gen-like rotor would be really nice.

Nonetheless, I'm getting one ... well, still can't decide red or yellow ... maybe both :wub:

regards

Subdial spacing is off, but that was to be expected since its based on completely different caliber.

regards

I understand that, but they could have been a way to still design it and keep the @9 & @6 subdial outlines instersec... Really makes the dial IMHO.

07_0725_03.jpg

Guest avitt
I understand that, but they could have been a way to still design it and keep the @9 & @6 subdial outlines instersec... Really makes the dial IMHO.

I don't see how they could have pulled that off, since the 9:00 subdial is already so large that the "9" marker had to be removed...

Guest avitt
cant see why its a hype on this watch--

It's like any form of beauty...You either appreciate it or you don't.

I personally have always admired the "organic" shape of the Ebel 1911. In this case, I think I'll hold out for the bracelet version, since the bracelets are one of Ebel's nicest features.

The genuine is so sporty and beautiful... but the rep just gets owned by the hilariously off subdial spacing - it looks so stupid!!

I don't know if I'd call it stupid - but the rep just looks like any other chrono. I think it's the crowding of the subdials - like analog guages in a sports car - that makes the gen btr1911 special. This is just ..." m'eh"

This rep is disappointing especially as it is touted as being made using a Gen as a sample. The subdial spacing on the Gen is its major USP. If they couldn't do that, I don't know why they bothered.

I am suprised they didn't lower the 9 subdial and lengthen the hand too to make it work.

Edited by The Mentalist

Hmm... the gen could be measured at 44.5mm with the pushers?

Favor Flav owned a gen, maybe ask from him?

For the watches with tight subdial spacings the 7750 can never be 100% identical. Pretty unfair to complain about it, when there simply isn't a movement to use. It was excepted to be off... that doesn't bother me. But I don't understand either, why they didn't make the '9 and '6 subdial rings visually like on the gen. It could have been done easily. The rotor is another thing.

The subdials crossing was done on the quartz version with a simple OS20 movement, it must have been surely possible with the 7750 in a way or an other, even if not perfect. Making the subdial@6 larger for instance.

If I understand the technical obstacles with the 7750, that flaw makes unfortunately the rep look odd and kills it from the beginning : it changes the aesthetics of the watch. I don't understand. :(

The quartz is also advertized at 40mm : it must indeed be a different way of measuring, as the limit between the crown/pushers and the case is not clear. 44 COULD be WITH crow.

There seem to be 1 gen model without this dial crossing. Can it be that the manufacturer just chose this one ??

post-4381-1207977673_thumb.jpg

If they make the whole range, we'll maybe have one correct rep. However, the most popular (black/red) is definitely off.

One thing that bothers me is the lack of panache associated with the brand Ebel. In 1988 I purchased an 18K Ebel 1911 for $9,600. The other watch I was looking at was the Patek Ellipse at $6,000. Now the same Ellipse retails for $17,000 while Ebels can be had at up to 70% off on overstock.com.

What happened? Ebel used to manufacture watches for Cartier that seem to have no problem holding their value.

Guest avitt
One thing that bothers me is the lack of panache associated with the brand Ebel. In 1988 I purchased an 18K Ebel 1911 for $9,600. The other watch I was looking at was the Patek Ellipse at $6,000. Now the same Ellipse retails for $17,000 while Ebels can be had at up to 70% off on overstock.com.

What happened? Ebel used to manufacture watches for Cartier that seem to have no problem holding their value.

Based on the date, I'm guessing that you're comparing the depreciation of a quartz watch vs. a mechanical watch?

But I know what you mean...In 1992, I bought a 1987 TT quartz 1911 for $1500. The watch retailed for $3500 new. Today, a similar model would sell for <$800. Ebel is not a brand that I would buy as an investment...But I would buy one because I appreciate the aesthetics.

The BTR is a beautiful watch, which is unlikely to retain its value...The ideal combination for a good replica.

Guest Mr Jones

On beggining Josh write 'Dimensions : Dia 40mm x 15mm Thk' now is changed to 'Dimensions : Dia 44.5mm x 15mm Thk'. Today I have email from him and he write 'Watch is 40mm.. Same as the gen... There is no 44.5 ebel watches' .

Too big diferences [front&back] for replica made from geniue watch - and price ...

If replica with price 80-100USD have this dial :

27740030001sj2.jpg

ebel20001agxq150105205ga4.jpg

Edited by Mr Jones

There seem to be 1 gen model without this dial crossing. Can it be that the manufacturer just chose this one ??

post-4381-1207977673_thumb.jpg

If they make the whole range, we'll maybe have one correct rep. However, the most popular (black/red) is definitely off.

Good finding.

The carbon dial is nice too.

Wow... interesting.

Thanks, good find.