When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Does Anyone Make An Oysterquartz Replica?

UncleJay

oq.jpg

I have never understood why no one has produced an OQ since they would be easy & inexpensive to make & could not possibly retail for more than $100. They contain no difficult-to-rep complications & most off-the-shelf quartz movements retail at under $15 (I just replaced the movement in a $350 quartz Swiss Army watch & the identical ETA quartz movement cost me all of $8), so most of the value (& cost) would be in the watch case instead of the movement -- the opposite of mechanical watches. And there would be few if any service issues since the only real maintenance required is a battery change once every year or 2, and just about anyone here can do that on their own.

The only problem I can see with an OQ rep is that virtually everyone who sees it (outside our little group) will know it is a 'fake' because so few people are even aware that Rolex ever produced a quartz watch. In fact, the 1st thing the average person looks for to ID a 'fake' Rolex is a 'ticking' second hand. So the only people who would appreciate an OQ rep are the very people who would know it is bogus. A bit of a catch-22.........

But if someone makes it & they can get the date window & font right (without goofing-up something else on the dial), I would buy 1 (or 2).

I would definately buy one if they were available. Preferably a Day Date model. I have only seen really bad datejusts sold for $20 on the street with oysterquartz printed on the dial. I assume this is to help explain the quartz movement inside what should be an automatic watch.

I guess since Rolex stopped making these and the biggest hurdle in the rep world was originally to make an affordable automatic Rolex, the oysterquartz fell by the wayside. The less knowledgable or 99% of the population only knows that the Rolex hand should sweep. I have seen people pin a genuine oysterquartz as fake due to the ticking. It would be logical to assume that they chinese wouldn't go through the trouble of replicating a watch just to have it assumed to be fake.

OQ was the best watch I've ever owned. I'd love a rep but doubt it will ever happen. The case and bracelet are different from any other that Rolex produced. The rep makers would probably have to spend too much for a such a small market segment.

I also had one years ago. It was SS with black dial. I liked that you didn't get the Oyster bracelet rattle from the endlings as with auto models. It was also heavier due to the construction, much like the old Cellini model. BTW, I have an old 80's Cellini rep somewhere, I should look for it.

• 9 months later...

So, like a good boy I used the search feature before posting and found this thread. Nice to see I'm not the only one. I saw one of these on a Dr many many years ago and to this day still can't stop hoping that I might find one, though from the prices I've seen for the gen's, a nice rep would certainly make me happy. The thing that drives me crazy is that with some of the goofy reps that are available, you'd think that someone would take the time to make something like this? :(

The OQ second hand jumps one second at a time like a $25 Timex...it just makes more noise than the average cheapo qtz watch (and will cost a small fortune to repair when it blows up sooner or later). =@

Proof...I have one, a 17013 (I'm not bragging).

The Beta 21 powered Quartz Date 5100 has a "smooth sweep" (more or less).

Maybe this is what is on YouTube.

I have never seen anyone wearing a B21 QD and do not expect to as there were only a few made and collectors snatched them up years ago.

http://www.oysterquartz.net/the_quartz_date_5100.htm

Thanks for the link, that was a neat read!

OK, I'll start this with a another nice shot of an original...

watchseller_2038_197363467.jpg

I did find this site, I'm tempted to throw some money away just to see what one looks like...

http://www.tradetang.com/wholesale/oysterquartz.html

10172789505.jpg

10192749202.jpg

Kinda nervous though... :blowup:

Then there's these...

oq010.jpgoq020.jpg

$289 from It alian Fa kes http://www.italianfakes.net/DJSteelOysterQuartz.htm

$289 for a quartz movement though sucks...and those are gen photos on the Ital fakes site...so you're likely going to get crap.

Screw the oyster quartz...get yourself a solid, high end rep of another model...or a gen Swiss movement watch...like Milgauss or something like that.

$289 for a quartz movement though sucks...and those are gen photos on the Ital fakes site...so you're likely going to get crap.

Screw the oyster quartz...get yourself a solid, high end rep of another model...or a gen Swiss movement watch...like Milgauss or something like that.

I hate when they do that, and I was thinking they were gens also- very disappointing...

As far as an alternative goes, I like this one which shares a similar look...

forsale-28.jpg

I just have to get the person who owes me some $$ to get moving so I can pick it up...

As far as an alternative goes, I like this one which shares a similar look...

forsale-28.jpg

IMHO, the Ingy Chrono is leagues more classy than the Oysterquartz. The problem with that one is the seconds at 6 A7750 mod that makes it...similar to the Portuguese movements (with the subdials at 12 and 6 not at 3 and 9). Look for the posts on this movement linked in my Noob Guide or in the Reviews post in the Supprters area.

I love that Ingy chrono.