When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Reinstitute the Draft?

kosemkamtsan

The actual death rate for the US Military today are LOWER than most of the COLD WAR.

That's because most of the people they're fighting now are unarmed. But remind us how many US soldiers were killed in Moscow during the Olympics...

Even the suicide rate as a percentage of the military population is less than half that of the 80's.
Did you just make that up?

2005 - US soldiers' suicide rate in Iraq doubles

2006 - Army suicides hit highest level since 1993 [2]

2007 - Suicide rate in US army at highest in 26 years [2] [3]

2008 - Concern mounts over rising troop suicides , Suicide rates for new soldiers are heading for a record high

Soldiers, Marines, Airmen and Sailors are not the murderers you try to imply with made up numbers of "hundreds of thousands"...

The best estimate was over 600 000 2 years ago. [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Should the US re institute a draft? You think it would do any good?

ryyannon: this is not the humor section. people are dying at an alarming rate and many of them are just boys with real guns. Let's not forget about the who knows how many hundreds of thousand now dead Iraqis. I hope to never become as cynical as you seem to be.

Buster, I do not need lessons in either decorum or patriotism.

In other words, it is exceedingly clear that you've neither the capacity nor the qualifications to judge what I'm saying or why I'm saying it. Let alone understand it.

So kindly STFU.

That's because most of the people they're fighting now are unarmed. But remind us how many US soldiers were killed in Moscow during the Olympics...

Did you just make that up?

2005 - US soldiers' suicide rate in Iraq doubles

2006 - Army suicides hit highest level since 1993 [2]

2007 - Suicide rate in US army at highest in 26 years [2] [3]

2008 - Concern mounts over rising troop suicides , Suicide rates for new soldiers are heading for a record high

The best estimate was over 600 000 2 years ago. [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Should the US re institute a draft? You think it would do any good?

Listen up. The US Military does not engage unarmed civilians. They hunt down the terrorists that do. The blame for the vast majority of any harmed civilian in Iraq or Afghanistan belongs to them and those that support them. BTW, they blew up a few dozen more yesterday, gonna add that to your total to blame on the people that were trying to prevent it?

Year - Total - Self Inflicted

1980 - 2392 - 231

1981 - 2380 - 241

1982 - 2319 - 254

1983 - 2465 - 218

1984 - 1999 - 225

1985 - 2252 - 275

1986 - 1984 - 269

1987 - 1983 - 260

1988 - 1819 - 285

1989 - 1636 - 224

1990 - 1507 - 232

1991 - 1787 - 256

1992 - 1293 - 238

1993 - 1213 - 236

1994 - 1075 - 232

1995 - 1040 - 250

1996 - 974 - 188

1997 - 817 - 159

1998 - 827 - 161

1999 - 796 - 145

2000 - 758 - 151

2001 - 891 - 141

2002 - 999 - 162

2003 - 1410 - 188

2004 - 1873 - 201

2005 - 1941 - 175

2006**-1875 - 192

** Preliminary as of Nov 22, 2007, with revisions to 2004 and 2005

Looks like the rate has been modified since I last looked at it, still, the numbers are lower now than the 80's...

I am against the draft and I served as an officer in the US ARMY. A draft will increase an already strained budget. It will create additional governmental bureaucracy and add more young innocent men and women to the war machine. What we need is more open diplomacy and a greater sense of cooperation and less nationalistic egoism. A new enlightenment. I know dream on..... BUT IT HAS TO START.... one step at a time.

The US Military does not engage unarmed civilians.

I wouldn't join a non-US army... I have more chance of getting "friendly" fire that way - and why not call it what it is... incompetence.

Words and phrases like "Friendly fire" and "collateral damage" dehumanise what has been done :(

the main problem with youth today is a lack of understanding of the concept of responsibility - until its "too late" and they are on track for life in the slow lane. - I think that would fix this problem.

I don't blame the youth. As adults we know its too difficult for the majority of teens to make all of lifes choices by the age of 18, yet we force them to do it anyways. I guess "someones gotta pour the concrete, serve the fries, etc". Its rediculous.

@ryyannon: your attempts at humor were exactly that, so i'm not sure what i might have misconstrued. STFU is kinda 6th grade girl talk for "i have been reduced to the red faced shell that i am". I guess i exposed you. Sorry for that. I'm usually sensitive to protect people's insecurities.

Regarding where this thread is going, i didn't intend to start a debate on whether our boys are murdering innocents. I mentioned the dead Iraqis, not to demonize our soldiers, but to demonstrate that tragedy has erupted as a result of this misguided war--a war that would never have happened if our media was responsible to a substantive information-demanding electorate.

Agreed that a draft might result in having unhappy soldiers in a squad. However, there could be fixes for this such as having these people do jobs that benefit the greater good without actually wielding weapons. Public service, Americorp etc. The idea that this would be a blight on our economy is frankly hilarious. Nothing like having millions of volunteer workers on the scene to hurt an economy. Maybe that would get the illegals to stop from crossing over borders?? Maybe we would be able to get that alternative energy platform off the ground. Or am i describing beaurocracy and red tape institutions?

@ryyannon: your attempts at humor were exactly that, so i'm not sure what i might have misconstrued. STFU is kinda 6th grade girl talk for "i have been reduced to the red faced shell that i am". I guess i exposed you. Sorry for that. I'm usually sensitive to protect people's insecurities.

I wasn't trying to be funny, Bubba.

Now please get on with your life and your postings - minus any more references to me - before this really gets ugly.

While I don't really agree with the idea of people being 'drafted', I do feel that a mandatory period of military service (as mentioned with Isreal) is not only a good idea, but, one which 'the yoof of today' would likely benefit from. Not only would it force them to learn discipline and respect (something their parents sometimes fail to instill) it would also be a good way of 'less academic' people learning usefull vocational skills, which, when they return to civilian life, could be used to obtain employment, or start their own businesses.

I don't think people should be forced to fight (by being drafted) but, such people could be given administrative positions, and leave actual combat to those who willingly sign up for active duty. Of course, once someone does become enlisted, then should they be required to do other duties, then so be it. Even standard shop employment contracts often include the clause that although an employee's usual place of employment will be that partictular store, the company reserves the right, should the need arrise, to require them to work at other branches (staff cover etc) so there's certainly a legal precedent for such a thing happening should the need arise.

Although I don't get a vote in US Politics, my money is on Obama becoming the next US President, and he's also the candidate I would vote for, were I able to do so :)