When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

what do you wear with your watches

blade007

guys, a little story to share with you all..

I was on the bus this morning in North London, happily making my way to work, humming along to songs on my ipod and my beloved Shure SE210 headphones. Everything normal, so I assumed.

I noticed the guy on the seat infront of me, dressed in the usual student clothes (next/river island etc - no suit/shirt), iphone/ipod touch (didnt care to notice), standard issue white earphones, usual messenger bag, everything as you would expect from a 20 something male living in london. Then suddenly he stretched his arm out, there was a flash of polished steel and rubber, next I see the crown guard... damn this dude had been wearing a panerai.

I didnt get a good look at the watch, but it was the newer model with the rubber strap with "Officine" written on the side of the strap. It could have been a gen. I dont know. I didnt care.. Now, in my book his outfit and the watch he was wearing didnt go together. Even if it was a gen, I wouldnt have beleived him even if he slaped me around the face with it.

I know this is a tricky one as everyone has different taste in clothes/watch combos. What do you guys normally wear with your watches?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

diamond BCE, usually Christian Audigier shirts. I work in the "entertainment" industry so its ok for me to be flashy. Outside of work i wear my stainless MBW franken sub and usually jeans and t-shirts. I usually wear a watch to fit my activity/occasion and wardrobe

guys, a little story to share with you all..

I was on the bus this morning in North London, happily making my way to work, humming along to songs on my ipod and my beloved Shure SE210 headphones. Everything normal, so I assumed.

I noticed the guy on the seat infront of me, dressed in the usual student clothes (next/river island etc - no suit/shirt), iphone/ipod touch (didnt care to notice), standard issue white earphones, usual messenger bag, everything as you would expect from a 20 something male living in london. Then suddenly he stretched his arm out, there was a flash of polished steel and rubber, next I see the crown guard... damn this dude had been wearing a panerai.

I didnt get a good look at the watch, but it was the newer model with the rubber strap with "Officine" written on the side of the strap. It could have been a gen. I dont know. I didnt care.. Now, in my book his outfit and the watch he was wearing didnt go together. Even if it was a gen, I wouldnt have beleived him even if he slaped me around the face with it.

I know this is a tricky one as everyone has different taste in clothes/watch combos. What do you guys normally wear with your watches?

Considering you didn't describe anything he was wearing besides it NOT being a suit.. i'm not sure if I'm able to make a correct assesment... so you're saying.. to wear a panerai you 've got to wear a suit and can't have a bag? I wear my panerai everywhere and it's plenty believable here in madrid even when i'm in my weekend clothes. (i'm 20 something years old also)...

Considering you didn't describe anything he was wearing besides it NOT being a suit.. i'm not sure if I'm able to make a correct assesment... so you're saying.. to wear a panerai you 've got to wear a suit and can't have a bag? I wear my panerai everywhere and it's plenty believable here in madrid even when i'm in my weekend clothes. (i'm 20 something years old also)...

sorry, I assumed "dressed in the usual student clothes (next/river island etc - no suit/shirt)" would give everyone a correct description, but I guess I am assuming everyone knows the kind of stock NEXT and River Island stock for average student.. Again, I am assuming he was a student...

here is the kinda stuff he had on:

27P06SGRN_switch1_normal.jpg

12T11SBLU_switch1_normal.jpg

79L01SGRY_switch1_normal.jpg

24L06SNAT_normal.jpg

ipod-touch-1.jpg

Now, there is nothing wrong if your taste in clothes is similar to the above or ifyou shop at any of the outlets in question. The point I am trying to make is that when wearing a $4000+ watch, the rest of the outfit has to match somewhat... the same way as you dont wear slippers with a suit.

Basically what you're saying is that in order to wear an expensive watch, it's only proper for your clothes 'to match' and be expensive name brands?

I personally don't agree with that and I think many on here also wouldn't. Theres probably loads of guys who own a regular car and house and probably go for generic clothes and wear a sub ;)

EDIT: That guy was more than likely wearing a rep, however I say that simply because of his age. I'm 22 and wear somewhat 'ghetto' clothing, and I have a rep 111h on a officine rubber strap, I also own rollies, cartier, omega, breitling & soon to be patek philippe reps.. Do I give a sh!t what other people might think when they see my watch and my clothes? NO. Am I going to change my clothing style simply to try and lead people to believe that I can afford the gen of the watch I'm wearing... NO.

My reps are for my own enjoyment and no one elses. Also I'd like to add I know so many people who own $2000+ watches and they wear a $10 shirt and $30 trousers :)

Basically what you're saying is that in order to wear an expensive watch, it's only proper for your clothes 'to match' and be expensive name brands?

not quite, I guess everyone has their own taste and can wear anything they like. My original post was to get an idea of what other people on this board wear with their watches.. thats all. I am not saying dont wear whatever you like. All I am saying is that dude on the bus wouldnt haved pass it off as a gen even if he was wearing one, not in my books atleast... steriotypes I know..

ps: I dont wear shirts and suits to work either. Mostly I am wearing a hoodie, jeans and trainers... needless to say I work in the "geek" field.

Edited by dakku

Well Im a 21 year old student and wear clothes similar to the ones posted above. I am careful with my money, and have a nice savings account from when I was working full time as a partner in a construction firm, so I have bought a few gens etc... I would never assume someone owns a rep just because they're not wearing a suit.

I went to a Lamborghini meeting a few years ago, the majority of guys there were sporting Breitlings, Omega's and Rolexes, but just dressed in shorts and tshirt. None of them were waering a suit, or obvious high brand clotheswear. Besides, even if someone doesn't have a huge bank account, a 4000USD watch isn't impossible if you have a passion for watches. It would be down to prioritising your expenditure.

Another example, someone I know owns a Hawker Hurricane, and with all due respect to him, you would think he lives very rough. Has a clapped out old car, rough clothes, but I am pretty sure he has more money that most people I have seen wearing nice suits and Pams. Very unassuming guy indeed!

Hi

I think that my biggest reason to me (and argue for my GF) to buy more and more reps is that different looking/styles watch is needed in different circumstances.

When i have exs. my best shirt or beige with suit in work , i choose Evo TT and it fits with my gold bracelet. And when it's allowed to be little flashy.

Normally when i dress black suit and normal shirt at the normal work day, bce evo with black leather or Upo is a perfect choice. Not to bling.

They are allso very good combination when i have normal jeans and Gant/Boss/sand shirt or jacket. Maybe Hbb mat gold works well allso.

But what i don't have yet, is summer watch that i can wear with shorts an a boat or holidays. And that's my next purchase, thought it will be Upo with rubber and mods by gen dial, hands and better ar. Pams are great and maybe some Graham model.

There are still one watch what i need to buy when i go to the bar. HBB rose gold/ceramic is perfect for that.

I don't know how i explain to my gf that i need still more watches but maybe i figure something. I always pick a watch that is suited to my clothing the best. I think that watch value is minor point what you're wearing of. It is how it fits all together. Like if you have Picasso in your home, it could be ugly ass hell if everything else isn't fit.

I guess the topic got a tittle sidetracked into talking about steriotypes and associations we make about people and their possessions. I understand that. Being I "geek/IT bod" I spend more money on computers a year than most.. so yes it is about preferences and priority in spending money.

Since i am a hoodie and jean wearer myself, I cannot deamonise the "casual" attire or the watchs to wear with it.

So...

What do all you guys wear with your fancy watches (we wont pass judement on your style) ;-)

Well I'm 41 now and a$$ backwards. I'll wear a rep like my ZPO or the BCE and look real nice, slacks, nice shirt, cuff links, and on another occasion wear a gen like Omega or Movado and wear the jeans my wife has been trying to throw away for years because they have holes in them.

@L-dizzle, dude you are the entertainment! :)

Times are changing. I am 29 and when I started working in offices it was shirt and tie for everyone. Now 10 years on ties are becoming less and less common. I have attended many meetings in Central London with well paid council members and I.T consultants (as am I) and often smart jeans, smart shirt and brown shoes are common attire. Certainly in the I.T sector dress codes are relaxing rapidly therefore it is not uncommon to see well paid proffesionals dressed casually.

Times are changing. I am 29 and when I started working in offices it was shirt and tie for everyone. Now 10 years on ties are becoming less and less common. I have attended many meetings in Central London with well paid council members and I.T consultants (as am I) and often smart jeans, smart shirt and brown shoes are common attire. Certainly in the I.T sector dress codes are relaxing rapidly therefore it is not uncommon to see well paid proffesionals dressed casually.

That is a very valid points. something I have seen happen in Central London as well. I am a software programmer/web developer by profession and what I have found working in my sector is that:

1) It is too hard to impress anyone with your watches in my field, programmers like binary data. That often means quartz digital. For one, they can keep time a whole lot better and as with computers they are "digital"

2) if it aint got ram/cpu/graphics card/motherboard us programmers are generally not interested..

LOL

It is interesting to see various combinations of watches and clothes surface up..

The point I am trying to make is that when wearing a $4000+ watch, the rest of the outfit has to match somewhat... the same way as you dont wear slippers with a suit.

I disagree .... wear whatever you want with whatever you want and create your own style. I do not see how not dressing up to the perceived value of the watch is somehow inappropriate.

I agree that watch value is not important to the clothes what you wear, but..

Think guy in summer playing beach volley on Vacheron/Brequet on his wrist..

or important occasion with tuxedo wearing mellow yellow Hbb..

Yeah, everyone should make they own style but some commonsense still. If you have possibility to make a choice.

Here's my clothing/watch rule:

with suits: gold or TT (TT SUB/Cartier Santos TT/ Gold Radiomir/RG IWC Saint/RG MB)

Casual/Jeans: Any SS watch would do and most of the time I match the dial with my shirt color!

I like to wear my Blue dial TT Navitimer (sometimes GEN TT Blue SUB) with blue jeans/white Tommy Bahama shirt/blue leather Cole Haan driving shoes

and I'm 73 years old! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

i go nude - just me and the watch

sometimes 2 watches, if its going to be cold out

Is that a PAM in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

I have a crappy car because I'm not into cars...in fact I don't really like them at all, but I have enough pedal bike to buy me some serious bling if I wanted to. So, what do I usually wear, cycling clothes, gore-tex, softshell workout stuff, or business "very" casual.

Mind you...I also don't wear a gold HBB or a diamond encrusted gold Rollie either...

Yeah - create your own style B)

125288320_o.jpg

He is wearing his Diamond Rolex on the neclace under his beard - donation from a disciple... :p

The PAM you described is a casual watch and the student seems to be dressed casual. I have few reps that I wear not to match my clothing but to match my style, e.g. casual, business, dressy, etc. Although a gen Chronofighter retails for more then $8000 its still my casual watch and my B&R is my business watch which retails for less. Instead of looking at the student and saying "He doesn't fit the bill" you should be saying "Good taste in watches my friend!"

hmmm, this thread is turning into "bad dakku for judging a poor student".. :-|

We all have steriotypes, I didnt start this thread to discuss the steriotypes but more to find out what other people wear. ah none the less...

here is what I am gonna be wearing with my dungarees:

grahamswordfishbigbling-thumb.jpg

and this for a special occasion with my tux

907a85bf53bc64f0c4826bd20183e37f.jpg

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Edited by dakku

sorry, I assumed "dressed in the usual student clothes (next/river island etc - no suit/shirt)" would give everyone a correct description, but I guess I am assuming everyone knows the kind of stock NEXT and River Island stock for average student.. Again, I am assuming he was a student...

Now, there is nothing wrong if your taste in clothes is similar to the above or ifyou shop at any of the outlets in question. The point I am trying to make is that when wearing a $4000+ watch, the rest of the outfit has to match somewhat... the same way as you dont wear slippers with a suit.

Defintely, a rep.

The telling point for me is that he was taking the bus instead of driving a luxury car, appeared to be a student & was wearing not just casual, but non-luxury brand casual. Not that everyone who can afford a gen Pan necessarily drives a luxury car everywhere they go or always wears 1-off designer threads. But, generally, people who own expensive watches tend to live the part. Taking the bus, wearing casual clothes & being, presumably, a 20-something student type, is not what I would call living the part of a financially successful gen luxury watch owner. I have seen my share of the uber-wealthy when they are 'slumming it', but there is always something about them that belies their true social status & wealth. Based on the original description, my Holmesian gut tells me that this chap was wearing an unexceptional rep that he purchased via a promotional spam email. Nothing more, nothing less.