When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen 5513 Dial

bertieng

I was under the impression that the MBW sub case was a 5513 design. That is why the 1680 dials and 127 crystals dont fit without some modification. I do not know this to be a fact, but it is one of those things I remeber reading at some point. I do know the 1680 date dials are aprox. 1mm too big.

I THINK the no dates are smaller diameter so they would fit w/o modification.

I am not saying yes for sure, so dont take that to the bank just yet.

Then how about the dial feet? Those on teh gen. dial have differnt positions to that on the ETA. Do I have to cut them away and then how to put them back on the correct place? Using hot soldering or any other better methods?

Thanks.

Another option is to replace the existing feet with 2 of these from ofrei & cement them on with epoxy (they should not fall off)
berg10040.jpg
click here

To locate them on the dial, fit the Bergeon feet into the new movement & lock them into place where they normally go. But do not push the feet all the way down into the movement holes -- they should sit just a hair higher than normal, so that the bottom of the feet are about parallel with the uppermost sections of the movement. Place a small dab of butter or something soft & slightly sticky on the end of the feet to mark a spot on the dial where the foot comes into contact with it. Then, place the dial on top of the feet (in its correct location) & remove. The butter should have left 2 tiny spots on the back of the dial that mark the locations where you epoxy the feet in place (be sure to clean the butter off the dial 1st). As long as you placed the dial onto the feet in the correct location, this procedure is nearly foolproof.

I seem to recall some cracking on middle 80's 16800 dials w/ the wg surrounds, but it didn't look anything like that- more like a very fine random pattern of shrinkage and cracking of the paint. This dial would date from that era, but I would probably opt for another dial- for a 5513, I prefer the older dials w/ no wg surrounds. There are a lot of the "repainted" ones out there which I think are really just new dials from Viet Nam made to look old. I picked one up on the bay for about $150 a few months ago- I put it in my 5513 (the $139 one from Paul) and I actually think the yellow markers are fading- Ive thought about leaving it out in the sun to speed up the process.

its a gen dial with crazing across it due to age. there was a batch of WG surrounds from the 80s that show that for some reason, not restricted to 5513s either, ive seen some on 16800s and gmts also from the same period. i personally dont like them but each to their own.

suppliers have labelled them "spider" dials to try and charge a premium or sell an otherwise useless dial to market. if you like the look though then go for it as its certainly unique in some regards.

id hold off and get a matte dial or a no crazed dial if i were you unless it is available for little money if you are after gen dials

I ran across this dial yesterday on ebay and the seller has quite a bit of stuff for sale. The seller has lots of Rolex stuff and looks legitimate, but like wight, I'd still try to find something matte and/or in better condition. It is interesting how the seller is trying to generate interest from the Antiquorum sale where a 5513 with spider dial went for $15K. That sale was pretty interesting in and of itself- things got pretty out of hand pricewise.