When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some reps are poor value vs gens

Spoooooonz

Just looking at the Porsche design flat 6 chrono. available as a rep for around the $350USD mark. Here is the genuine article...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...rksid=p3907.m29

...available for $1365

The genuine uses a swiss movement that has undergone chronometer certification and has been finished to a high standard. The replica uses a replica 7750 movement that really requires servicing before use to ensure there are no issue with the assembly (post to and from The Zigmeister + fee for service and you are looking at about $100). So now the replica actually cost more like $450. The value proposition presented by replicas of sub $2k watches is pretty poor when you think about it.

Just looking at the Porsche design flat 6 chrono. available as a rep for around the $350USD mark. Here is the genuine article...

...available for $1365

Nice find. I think they've made a mistake though - the one they're selling is actually quartz not the automatic (even though that's what it says).

...available for $1365

The genuine uses a swiss movement that has undergone chronometer certification and has been finished to a high standard. The replica uses a replica 7750 movement that really requires servicing before use to ensure there are no issue with the assembly (post to and from The Zigmeister + fee for service and you are looking at about $100). So now the replica actually cost more like $450. The value proposition presented by replicas of sub $2k watches is pretty poor when you think about it.

Are you sure the ebay auction one is an automatic...? It says it is, but it looks like a quartz layout to me.

Good point about the pricing though.

It's like those who mod their uPO with genuine crystal, crown, and dial... by that time they aren't saving much over a genuine!

The watch in the auction is definately quartz. Either way the point you make is very valid. When the price of some of our highly modified reps is approaching 50% or more of the real deal I feel it just better to buy the real thing. That being said there seems to be no shortage of buyers for pieces that are highly modifed. To each his own.

My number for 99% rep with original movement, gen parts (if available) and all required mods is no than 35% of secondary market sales. Without original movement that percentage falls to 20% or less. For that reason I tend to stay away from Breitlings and Omega's except for those that seem to maintain their gen value. With the recent decline in most of the gen secondary watch markets there are fewer and fewer of those though.

The replica uses a replica 7750 movement that really requires servicing before use to ensure there are no issue with the assembly

"Requires servicing" is bit of an exaggeration, especially with the new A7750... imho.

Never serviced any of my 7750, and they all run great (after years of use). One watch has a low power reserve, but it has been like that since the day 1.

Other than that, you make good points.

Interesting, but...

The price quoted is definitely for a quartz watch. As I recall the Flat 6 Chrono, Automatic sells for about $4000 at my AD. I understand thats just the sticker price, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find one for under $3000. That would make the rep at about 10% of the cost of the gen, a good value if you ask me.

As By-Tor stated, A7750s have a bit of a bad reputation if you ask me. I have several that are a couple of years old, and have never had a problem. BTW, your estimate for servicing from Zig is wrong. Last I heard 7750 servicing was over $200 + shipping.

For me the question is rep vs. homage. For the vintages this is an easy decision since there are not many reps of the omega seamaster 300 or blancpains. However,,,recently I've been into the blue dialed two tone rolex sub,,at least after reading By-Tor's review I was hooked. Now what? I can spend around 400 (usd) on a nice rep or pay the same price for a gen homage (Debaufre makes a nice one)? The homage has the exact look but the movement is definatly Swiss, a warranty, WR to 300 m, great lum and presentation box. The only (at least the only one I can think of) reason to get the rep is to have Rolex on the dial. What I would really like to do is get both and make a direct comparison but right now I'm siding on the homage.

For me the question is rep vs. homage. For the vintages this is an easy decision since there are not many reps of the omega seamaster 300 or blancpains. However,,,recently I've been into the blue dialed two tone rolex sub,,at least after reading By-Tor's review I was hooked. Now what? I can spend around 400 (usd) on a nice rep or pay the same price for a gen homage (Debaufre makes a nice one)? The homage has the exact look but the movement is definatly Swiss, a warranty, WR to 300 m, great lum and presentation box. The only (at least the only one I can think of) reason to get the rep is to have Rolex on the dial. What I would really like to do is get both and make a direct comparison but right now I'm siding on the homage.

Most Timezone.com wristwatch aficionados argue that an homage is just as "pathetic" (their words) as having a true, labeled Replica. I have Joshua's two-tone sub with the xxxtra thick gold plating and it's a marvelous watch. No warranty, dubious untested 50m supposed waterproof; but more women stare at it than any other piece in my collection. This, to me, beats a knock-off gen any day of the week.

Most Timezone.com wristwatch aficionados argue that an homage is just as "pathetic" (their words) as having a true, labeled Replica. I have Joshua's two-tone sub with the xxxtra thick gold plating and it's a marvelous watch. No warranty, dubious untested 50m supposed waterproof; but more women stare at it than any other piece in my collection. This, to me, beats a knock-off gen any day of the week.

There is a small group on TZ that just wants to argue about anything,,,,I only sell stuff on TZ I don't feel it is friendly enough a place to hang out. I admit I haven't given up on the rolex TT rep yet either,,,,,I keep checking out the pics,,,,it does look good.

You're right, and that's why I wish the chinese would stop making $400 reps of $1800 watches--you're at amost 30% of gen before you do any mods. They want to rep watches that are well advertised, I know, but there are many just as easily repped watches that would have a rep/gen ratio just like the old days--5%--even if the reps cost $400.