When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

PAM 187

TeeJay

I've just ordered a 187(ish) rep, which I know isn't going to be overly accurate. It's got a quartz movement, and the bezel, rather than having minute markers, has the cardinal points of a compass on it. At the time of order, I thought "what the heck..." it'd do as a real roughwork beater, and, truth be told, I ordered it just so I could cannabalize the strap for it's deployant ;)

I did rather like the pic Pugwash loaded once of a 187 on a rustic strap. Made me think of a watch that an Adventurer would wear while exploring the Amazon and hacking through jungle...

However.

I've just seen a nice group shot of PAMs, with a 217 and a 187 side by side. Now, as folks probably know, my favorite watch is my 127, and, for the purposes of comparison, a 217 is close enough. Seeing the two side by side, made me realize that the 187 suffers from the very thing that put me off the Breitling SOSF: Relatively small dial, compared to overall case size. Having seen the comparison, I have a feeling, that I'm not even going to like the 187 when it arrives... :mellow:<_<

(I might be wrong) Can anyone shed any light on them which might change my opinion?

Well, as you have to dive down to -100 meters with it, that's the correct dial (and especially crystal) size... A larger crystal would easily crack... :bangin:

The 187 has a sense of bling about it , plus being so massive. To me its somewhat in the big Breitling category. So I don't think you will give the size of the dial a second thought. However with the bezel that you are getting on your model, there might be a different feel altogether.

Rogerwine

Well, as you have to dive down to -100 meters with it, that's the correct dial (and especially crystal) size... A larger crystal would easily crack... :bangin:

Ahh, that's a positive spin on it :) A practical value :) Not that I'm likely to hit 1000 meters :lol:

The 187 has a sense of bling about it , plus being so massive. To me its somewhat in the big Breitling category. So I don't think you will give the size of the dial a second thought. However with the bezel that you are getting on your model, there might be a different feel altogether.

Rogerwine

Well, the thing is, the reason I passed on the SOSF, was that I felt that the size of the dial, was rather small in comparison to the size of the case itself. Silly, I know, not to have noticed that before about the 187, but once I saw the group shot, I had one of those "Oh $hit.... <_< " moments. Of course, I might unwrap it, and love it immediately, I'm just a tad nervous, knowing that I didn't really 'feel' another watch for the same reason... Oh well :)

you will love the beast :)

IMG_5038.jpg

IMG_3566.jpg

:)

See, it's pics like that, that make me think I will (even though the one I have on order has NESW points, rather than minute markers) I'm just hoping the difference between case/dial size won't bug me as it did with the SOSF... ^_^

Fantastic shots Pug, as always !! I'm waiting for mine to come back from K2222 complete with double AR and The Zigmeisterfied dial - I can't wait !! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

It remains my all time fav watch and its size never forgets to impress the believers and unbelievers alike.. Just hope your wrist is at least 7-1/2 so you don't do the watch injustice and look like a silly clown in the process. <_<

x

It's the sort of wrist-weight that grows on you, fast. It's akin to strapping a tuna can to your wrist, but after a while, the steam-punk aesthetic just gets its claws into you.

187-07-640.jpg

187-08-640.jpg

There's that pic that got me thinking "Gotta get me one of those...." :lol::thumbsupsmileyanim::good::victory:

It remains my all time fav watch and its size never forgets to impress the believers and unbelievers alike.. Just hope your wrist is at least 7-1/2 so you don't do the watch injustice and look like a silly clown in the process. <_<

x

I'm sure I do that on a daily basis anyway ;) I don't think the size will be a problem, I certainly don't have a problem with the 127 (although I know the 187 is beefier) so fingers crossed :)

Oh? I thought it was this one:

187-05-640.jpg

;):lol:

It is a truly amazing strap, isn't it.

You're quite right, it was that one ;) Was the strap a Toscana Rustic? I'm sure it had 'rustic' somewhere in the name...

x

wow, I like this one as well

You're quite right, it was that one ;) Was the strap a Toscana Rustic? I'm sure it had 'rustic' somewhere in the name...

Something like that. It's definitely a Toscana.

ps. I took this for you today. I was wearing an IWC this morning, but changed when I started taking some pics.

20080505.jpg

Something like that. It's definitely a Toscana.

ps. I took this for you today. I was wearing an IWC this morning, but changed when I started taking some pics.

20080505.jpg

That's awesome, thanks :) I know mine's not going to be over accurate (bezel etc) but figure it'll be wearable. I did ask if I could have the correct bezel (from another watch the dealer sells) but they said it wouldn't fit. Oh well, I've never really been overly concerned about accuracy, so I'm sure it'll suffice. I'm planning on putting it on the bordeaux strap I wear my 127 on, as that's got a pretty rustic feel to it. Thanks again for the photo :)

Well, my One Eight Something arrived today :lol: I have to admit, I was concerned that the case/dial ratio might have bothered me, but, in all honesty, it doesn't (maybe there's hope for the Breitling SOSF afterall :lol: ) But. I would have to point out that the smaller dial is noticeably smaller, and a little trickier to read than my 127 (which now has a deployant fitted to the dive strap :lol: )

About the watch itself... Clearly inspired by the 187, I think 'inspired by' is the only suitable word. The case is 44mm, with 24mm lugs. I believe the correct dimensions should be 47mm with 26mm (Yes/no?) It has a quartz movement with functioning stopwatch. The '3' subdial, rather than running with the stopwatch, runs in synch with the main hands as a 24 hour counter.

The printing of the dial, is gorgeous. The lettering is all done with equal print pressures, and totally uniform. No spelling errors on either the dial or the caseback. The bezel has NESW points rather than the correct time markers, but, not really an issue. The quality of the lume appears reasonable :) The watch also survived being run under a very strong tap without hint of condensation or flooding. Perfect for when I'm next kayaking down the Amazon and hacking through rain forest in search of Lost Civilizations ;)

Overall, I'm really impressed with it. It might not be intended as a daily beater, but, I think it will get regular rotation. Probably not suitable for someone wanting an accurate 187, but a nice watch in it's own right. I might track down an accurate 187, not so much for the sake of accuracy, but because the different details would be a nice option.

Life's pretty hectic for me at the moment, but I'll try and get some pics taken when possible :)

Yep, that's correct.

I had a feeling it should've been that size... Oh well, yet another area of flawed replication :lol:

it amazes me time and time again how big this watch actually really is ... monster watch ;)

Laz

I must've got the runt of the litter :lol: