When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Updated: Norwegische Kriegsmarine Copper 47mm

mastergod

EDIT/UPDATE NEW PICS OF WATCH ON SAVAGE STRAP.

Strap: Savage minimal-stitch bund-style with sewn-in GPF. Buckle was vintagized and then copper plated. The reason for bund-style: According to science, copper against the skin is bad for you (as mil_sub kindly points out in the thread below).

post-2870-1225649525_thumb.jpg

Comments on finished strap: It sure is big. Beautiful work by our friend Savage. I can

post-2870-1209998895_thumb.jpg

post-2870-1221068801_thumb.jpg

post-2870-1221068834_thumb.jpg

post-2870-1225655021_thumb.jpg

Edited by mastergod

Nice work! It is cool to see these Panerai homages. It really looks vintage.. Reminds me of the recent "Titanic-DNA" watch..

I recognize the logo... From the good old "Norgesglass". Standard inventory in every Norwegian kitchen from the 1940ties to the eighties.. :lol:

Norgesglas_serie.jpg

Do you have a wristshot? :)

Guest carlsbadrolex

Outstanding, this is the kind of vintage watch I like.

If you should ever decide to let this one go, please send me a PM. I would LOVE to buy it from you.

CBR

i would not want to wear oxidised piece of copper on my wrist...

" Symptoms of copper poisoning are very similar to those produced by arsenic. Fatal cases are generally terminated by convulsions, palsy, and insensibility.[citations needed]

In cases of suspected copper poisoning, Ovalbumin is to be administered in either of its forms which can be most readily obtained, as milk or whites of eggs. Vinegar should not be given. The inflammatory symptoms are to be treated on general principles, and so are the nervous.[citations needed]

A significant portion of the toxicity of copper comes from its ability to accept and donate single electrons as it changes oxidation state. This catalyzes the production of very reactive radical ions such as hydroxyl radical in a manner similar to Fenton chemistry.[30] This catalytic activity of copper is used by the enzymes that it is associated with and is thus only toxic when unsequestered and unmediated. This increase in unmediated reactive radicals is generally termed oxidative stress and is an active area of research in a variety of diseases where copper may play an important but more subtle role than in acute toxicity.

An inherited condition called Wilson's disease causes the body to retain copper, since it is not excreted by the liver into the bile. This disease, if untreated, can lead to brain and liver damage. In addition, studies have found that people with mental illnesses such as schizophrenia had heightened levels of copper in their systems. However it is unknown at this stage whether the copper contributes to the mental illness, whether the body attempts to store more copper in response to the illness, or whether the high levels of copper are the result of the mental illness. "

Edited by mil_sub

• 5 months later...