When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Do You Buy Gen Watches Online?

dovo1695

Help a gen watch virgin out!

I'm thinking about buying my first gen watch, an Omega Seamaster Pro 2220.80. Since I can't find a decent rep I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the gen. Since I've never bought a genuine watch before I'm not really sure how best to approach it. The watch is around $3000 at the AD and about $2300 at online stores. I'm trying to weigh the pro's and cons. On the one hand, there's no factory warranty if you buy from online discounters. There is also a higher risk of fraud. On the other hand, why pay $700 more?

I've called several online stores to ask questions, checked their better business bureau references, researched their reputations online etc. However since you guys are the pro's I was wondering your thoughts on the issue. I'm thinking about buying from prestigetime.com, they seem reputable and have a decent price; if you've done business with these folks let me know how they were to do business with.

If you've bought an expensive gen watch online in the past let me know where you've bought from and if the experience was positive.

Thanks in Advance

If you're dead set on your first gen I'd suggest you visit your local Omega AD and deal and wheel to get the price down to where you're comfortable. You probably won't get down to the internet price of $2300, but you may get very close to say $2500. For peace of mind and the warranty, I'd pay the extra $200 and be done with it. Especially since it's your first gen. Look around, there are a lot of AD's that'll work with you on the price. If you can't find one local shoot me a PM and I'll give you the number of the place that me and a lot of my buddies do business with. They're usually good for awsome discounts. Good luck.

Offer to pay cash and haggle at the AD. Be merciless, and persistent. Print out the internet thing that states $2300, and show it to them - ask them to match it, if not, go a little higher. You have to fight for it and don't always accept the first offer. Most information I have read argue that ADs can be persuaded to reduce their prices by a good amount.

I don't buy my gens new but try to buy watches that are less than 6 months old and I set 60% of current retail as my upper limit. I bought a Speedy pro, 9 weeks old at 57%, black SMP 7 or 8 months old at just under 55%, Tudor chrono 11 months old 63%, B&R 03-94 9 months at exactly 50% when compared with the recent price rise that occurred while the watch was in transit to me. I bought all of these on-line, Speedy & Tudor on ebay and the rest from watch forums. The Speedy and SMP both had the original caseback and clasp protectors in place and were totally mint. The others were almost mint but had been properly described eg mark on caseback where it rubbed on the clasp when set down after wearing.

The people who bought my watches new took a serious hit and a few had 2 owners in the space of 6 months - some guys flip watches like I change shirts. There are real bargains out there and I have had no trouble at all. The only watch that didn't arrive was a rep from a forum member. Don't be afraid to buy on-line - after all you can buy twice as many and if you buy carefully you will always be able to get back at least as much as you have paid.

I think dovo is referring to buying new gen pieces via an AD or online (black market) stores. From what I can see in his OP, he wasn't referring to buying "pre-owned" from private parties.

Since it's his first gen purchase, I say he gets the "full" buying experience and wheel & deal with an AD. That way, he can get the bracelet sized and walk in if things go wrong. I mean for your first gen purchase wouldn't you want that benefit too?

I don't buy my gens new but try to buy watches that are less than 6 months old and I set 60% of current retail as my upper limit. I bought a Speedy pro, 9 weeks old at 57%, black SMP 7 or 8 months old at just under 55%, Tudor chrono 11 months old 63%, B&R 03-94 9 months at exactly 50% when compared with the recent price rise that occurred while the watch was in transit to me. I bought all of these on-line, Speedy & Tudor on ebay and the rest from watch forums. The Speedy and SMP both had the original caseback and clasp protectors in place and were totally mint. The others were almost mint but had been properly described eg mark on caseback where it rubbed on the clasp when set down after wearing.

The people who bought my watches new took a serious hit and a few had 2 owners in the space of 6 months - some guys flip watches like I change shirts. There are real bargains out there and I have had no trouble at all. The only watch that didn't arrive was a rep from a forum member. Don't be afraid to buy on-line - after all you can buy twice as many and if you buy carefully you will always be able to get back at least as much as you have paid.

I pretty much do the same thing. This is a great tactic to use to buy genuine watches. A little patience and luck goes a long way when looking for a gen.

Be careful with the online stores, some file off the serial numbers. Not saying theyare not gen, but some will file the number off to protect the AD source they get the from. For peace of mind, full papers etc. I would go the AD route for my first.

i buy online from reputable and established stores - now that i know watchmakers ect, the warranty doesn't mean much - especially if its automatic, the servicing is more expensive than the warranty is worth. its cheaper just to take it to my watchmaker

Look at whether Omega offer lifetime free servicing too - recently I was in an Omega boutique and on some models they offer this. More than makes up for the slightly higher purchase price.

I've not made a brand new gen purchase in a long, long time. Mostly because nothing new is really very appealing to me. I have, however purchased many a used gen; a few of those transactions have been online, though where possible, I like to have a face to face transactions so that I can inspect my potential purchase prior to exchanging cash.

These days, I think I purchase more parts than anything...

Timezone is awesome for buying gens, so is Paneristi if you're looking at PAMs. I've even bought several from ebay from reputable dealers. If you choose your purchasing carefully and buy gently preowned, you can't lose since many times you can wear the watch for 6 months, a few years, and sell it for roughly what you paid for. That's what many Timezone members do, and this was one of the reasons why I started moving away from reps.

Online retailers can save you alot of money also if you work with good ones, I bought a Breitling Skyland SS awhile back for almost $1000 off the MSRP. http://www.authenticwatches.com/. Bonus is if you live out of state, NO SALES TAX. ADs are able to work deals also, not always on the hot brands, but with solid brands like Omega, Cartier, etc...you should be able to knock 15-30% off.

:victory:

Wow! Thanks for all the advice; I appreciate the feedback. It seems like the general consensus is to haggle at the AD. I guess in the very least I should give it a try since I've nothing to lose. If I can't get a price that I'm happy with from bargaining, I can always just buy it online.

I buy rollies this way, a bit older since the discount not so fast but this works out great.

I buy from top managers, people with something to loose, and rlx with papers from local AD's

low risk, big discount.. well around 35% is a lot for rollies.

Never bought something from an AD.

someone has to pay for the shiny windows, and arrogant personal, but not me

I prefer online. And also prefer to buy second hand. In the second hand market I am also happy to buy without papers if there is significant savings. But I also always buy with serial numbers. With the discount for no papers I use a portion of the savings to send the watch back the Company for service. You end up saving a lot of money, having a newly warrantied watch from the service center and even have a factory receipt attesting to its authenticity. And as someone else said, the best part is you can sell it at a similar or better price whenever you are bored of it.

I have purchased 4 gens from Jomashop. They have great pricing - they offer a warranty through their store - good discounts - they are a grey market dealer so no papers but new with the serial numbers. I personally feel that this is the best way to go because I am concerned with the quality of used watches.