When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

A note concerning genuine tubes/crowns

Guest carlsbadrolex

Guest carlsbadrolex

Over the last couple months I have seen a huge increase in the number of people installing genuine (or aftermarket) tubes and crowns in their Rolex replicas.

Although this is a great modification for these watches, it is important to understand that there are a couple things that should be done when doing this mod.

First, make sure to clean out the thread in the case. The replica tubes are very thin and rarely come out in one piece.

Secondly, it is necessary to "bevel" the inside edge of the hole that you will be screwing the new tube into. I have used a dremel tool with a very small metal grinding bit or even an engraving bit. DO NOT use one of the big stone grinders!

ALSO, I use red thread locker ( a very small amount) on the threads when putting the new one in.

If you look at the new tube, you will see the interior edge (that goes up against the case) is beveled. THIS is the bevel you are trying to match.

Almost every picture I have seen of a newly installed tube shows that this WAS NOT done. And in my humble opinion is more of a "tell" that the watch is a replica than the original poor tube and crown.

I am waiting on a couple new tubes/crowns to come in and then I will do a little photo tutorial. But until then, either hold off or try to do it the correct way.

If you need or want pictures of what I am dicussing, (both correct and incorrect) I can do that... But they would be of other peoples watches on this forum and I really dont want to offend anyone by showing pictures of how the incorrectly installed the tube.

Guest carlsbadrolex
I guess it never hurts to take another look at an old subject, but there are a number of tutorials that describe this already.

I understand that there are several tutorials already... That is where I learned the proper method to install a new tube. But simply looking in the for sale section, I have found 3 watches that have been done incorrectly. And in my humble opinion, Id rather have an inaccurate tube/crown than a gen that has been done incorrectly.

I really doubt that there is much that hasnt been covered at some point on this site, but yet myself (and others) are occasionally guilty of not doing the proper research before undergoing something as routine as this.

Just trying to help...

@ Carl,

Please post a new tutorial as you are right, one does not always do the proper search or not with the correct keywords.

The search is cool when looking for MBW or SUB, but not always for such a detailed topic.

I for one have at least a very doubtful modified vintage Rolex rep in my collection, if not two.

They need to go to be fixed anyway, so if a photo of one of mines is helpful, please feel free to pick it up.

Another reason to post new "old" subjects is that some of the existing tutorials might have been done by "apprentice modders" in those times.

Cheers

Stephane

I made a Tutorial of this long time ago.

Also Ziggy had done a great Tutorial about it.

But I think it was on the old RWG

Tribal, if you don't remember, well who can :o

I went to the Rolex Area, and started at the last page of the sub forum, page 104...(back in 2006)

I had to stop at around page 93...because what I read was incredible and it would take me a month to read it all.

I stopped at every topic you started and that you shared with a lot of Ubi comments among other great members :Jumpy:

What can I say if not that I am happy to have shared my MBW project with you (now sold to another great member by the way) and can't wait to start a new project with you.

I saw Ubi say "Tribal, congrats on your 30th Sub" :yu:

Anyway, that was a great read so far and I would like to push everyone here to go to the Rolex sub forum again and start from the first page, back in march 2006...

There are tons of information and great watches to look at :wub:

Cheers

Stephane

I used the how to posted by The Zigmeister done on a yachtmaster over a year ago. I have done many of these jobs since and everything contained in that tutorial made this a simple and accurate job. I have not looked at it since, but IMO it should have been pinned. Heck, maybe it is.

I use red thread locker ( a very small amount) on the threads when putting the new one in.

If I could just clarify this by saying, LOCTITE 680, is the correct term, which comes in a red plastic bottle,

the liquid contents being a very dark green in color.

Just make sure that the thread is absolutely CLEAN ( free from grease and oil ). This is important.