When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I Was Called Out On My Rep Today

the_man

So I was at this performance shop in town ordering an aftermarket M3 bumper for my lil 3 series. Rep watches and a rep car. :thumbsupsmileyanim: I can't stop the addiction. Anyways as I'm talking to the salesman, I see this guy pull up in a ML430 suv whatever the sports version of the benz suv is, new body style. He comes in acts like he owns the place, then comes and stands next to me, leans over, stars at my watch for a sec and says, "nice watch, swiss made?" Huh? "Is that a swiss made rep." My first reaction was what an [censored], then I said yeah, how can you tell its a rep? I was wearing a 168 regatta, the 2003 blue face chrono asian 7750. I was thinking he was going to bring up that its ss and not titanium like the gen. He says the luminor is pointing the wrong way? WTF? What are you talking about . He says the luminor was crooked on it. We went back and forth about wheather my luminor lettering was crooked or not, pretty childish actually. Then I take a quick glimpse at his time peice. A fugly ass LV sub with a yellow pearl, horrible bezel, crown sticking about an inch and no dial depth what so ever. But hey it was sweeping, good for him. You know what I said? "Nice Rolex." I asked him how much he paid for it, he said "$600. Its a rep too, swiss made." I was going to try to explain to him about how he got ripped off but I didn't want to call him out. Then he starts going on and on about how he can afford whatever watch he wants, but doesn't see the point in spending the money. After talking to him about reps for a couple minutes I was thinking about going into detail about spending $600 for a so called "swiss made" rep, but I didn't want to waste my time on him. I just told him about this forum.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best response is to ask whether the person thinks it's a rep and most importantly on what basis. Most people think they have the 'inside scoop' because they know about the sweeping second hand thing - LOL. Or, in your case, the alleged crooked upside down text. With that out in the open, it would be easy to dismiss the person as not really know what the hell they're talking about it. You did the right thing making think he knows what's up - let him think he's fooling people with his piece of sh*t Polex.

(Oh wait . . . my 1680 is engraved Polex. It must be a piece of sh*t.)

I owned that watch forever and I never noticed anything crooked on it, nor did I ever have anyone call me out on it. Refer that guy to me, I have lots of watches I'dbehappy to sell him for $600 ;)

Hell yah, and after that I will sell him some of my ocean front property in Arizona.

Sounds like that that guy has done his homework on the Idealwatch site...

Hey that_watch_guy, you may be able to get $900.00 from this one.

It would be funny if he signed up and read your post, but never thought it was about him because he knows what a great person he is and the guy in the post is an obvious asshat.

Yeah that would be hilarious. His name was Chris. Chris, if you read this I want you to know that you are an [censored]. You should never call someone out on their rep in public, especially not by interrupting a conversation to do so. And even more so, dont do it if your wearing a POS rep yourself. And the cherry topping, you paid $600 for it. Bravo you schmuk.

Yeah that would be hilarious. His name was Chris. Chris, if you read this I want you to know that you are an [censored]. You should never call someone out on their rep in public, especially not by interrupting a conversation to do so. And even more so, dont do it if your wearing a POS rep yourself. And the cherry topping, you paid $600 for it. Bravo you schmuk.

hahaha, i'm literally crying with laughter at that!

[censored]in' A man!

Then I take a quick glimpse at his time peice. A fugly ass LV sub with a yellow pearl, horrible bezel, crown sticking about an inch and no dial depth what so ever. But hey it was sweeping, good for him. You know what I said? "Nice Rolex." I asked him how much he paid for it, he said "$600. Its a rep too, swiss made."

:bangin: Was his wrist turning green from his $600.00 'Swiss Made' piece o' [censored]?

:bicycle:

I owned that watch forever and I never noticed anything crooked on it, nor did I ever have anyone call me out on it. Refer that guy to me, I have lots of watches I'dbehappy to sell him for $600 ;)

Thank you Jesus. That_watch_guy ( great member dealer btw) is who I got the thing from, he knows this watch better than I do..... ITS NOT CROOKED!!!!!!! aghhh whatever I'm over it. :bangin:

It sounds to me like the guy was trying to be friendly but just had a warped idea of how to go about it. It doesn't surprise me, having met a lot of people with better intentions than social skills. This Chris sounds like one of those insecure guys who has to gab with someone every second he has and tell them how great he is, and implodes when left with only himself for company. Annoying.

As a non-Type A, one reason I like living in Japan is that pretty much everyone understands that it does very little good and usually some harm to walk up to strangers and point out things that are none of their business in clumsy attempts to be "friendly" or show how astute they are. What it shows in Japan is that you have no concept of proper public conduct, which negates any positive impression you might make by being friendly or even astute.

While people are jumping on what a moron this Chris guy is, I have read several posts by members bragging about how they picked out some rep wearer and showed him up. So it's not just an uninformed person's problem.

Rule of thumb on commenting on other people's fashion, stuff, girlfriend, job, whatever, and not just reps: If strangers, don't. You're being either a jerk or a bully, there's not that much more to it. Exception if said stranger approaches you and raises the issue himself in an obnoxious way, but that's about it.

The guy sounds like a real [censored]. Being called out is one thing, but being called out by someone like that must have been 10 times worse...

Thats really classic btw, how he knew it was a fake by the "crooked lettering" - wtf ? - and it wasnt even crooked ? You were too nice to the guy, imo. Recommend him one of those rep stores you get in your spam box.

I like the Swiss Fake versus Italian fake, that must have made you really roll your eyes :bicycle:

I was called out on my arktos few days ago, but instead, I took the watch off, handed it to him and said. "Ok, tell me why you think my watch is a rep."

He pointed out that the watch has a rubber strap LOL!! I pointed out that the Arktos does in fact have a rubber strap. That's about all he could point out. Pretty funny actually. Gave me the watch back and looked real stupid.

It sounds to me like the guy was trying to be friendly but just had a warped idea of how to go about it. It doesn't surprise me, having met a lot of people with better intentions than social skills. This Chris sounds like one of those insecure guys who has to gab with someone every second he has and tell them how great he is, and implodes when left with only himself for company. Annoying.

As a non-Type A, one reason I like living in Japan is that pretty much everyone understands that it does very little good and usually some harm to walk up to strangers and point out things that are none of their business in clumsy attempts to be "friendly" or show how astute they are. What it shows in Japan is that you have no concept of proper public conduct, which negates any positive impression you might make by being friendly or even astute.

While people are jumping on what a moron this Chris guy is, I have read several posts by members bragging about how they picked out some rep wearer and showed him up. So it's not just an uninformed person's problem.

Rule of thumb on commenting on other people's fashion, stuff, girlfriend, job, whatever, and not just reps: If strangers, don't. You're being either a jerk or a bully, there's not that much more to it. Exception if said stranger approaches you and raises the issue himself in an obnoxious way, but that's about it.

Right on.

I was called out on my arktos few days ago, but instead, I took the watch off, handed it to him and said. "Ok, tell me why you think my watch is a rep."

He pointed out that the watch has a rubber strap LOL!! I pointed out that the Arktos does in fact have a rubber strap. That's about all he could point out. Pretty funny actually. Gave me the watch back and looked real stupid.

No-[censored], the only 2 times I was ever called out I did the same thing. Both pointed out non issues with the watch. One guy I actually showed him the flaws. He is now a member here.

The second, was such a Drunken Bottom feeder that who, gives-a-[censored].

As always, the people here have a far greater knowledge of what a Gen should look like, and the flaws.

99% of all people who claim ANOTHER"S watch is a rep in public is not 100% sure and is just a [censored] going out on a limb....besides us very few can call out high quality reps...but that particular rep has been called out on RWG1 back in the day due to the color dial if I am correct?

Take a TW datejust for instance.....almost impossible to call out as well as most pams after mods and all $$$ modded subs...

And hopefully my precious Bentley GT coming form Eddie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by CY0811