When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

wearing a rep

rolexconfuse

I've been on timezone and reading all the comments makes me a bit nervous about wearing reps out. It's like once someone finds out that you wear a rep they lose all respect for you. And it makes no difference if don't hide the fact that it is a rep.

does anyone ever feel that you may get disrespected just because you wear a rep.

How do you deal with someone who becomes an ass to you once they find out you wear a rep?

Just react the "Old Fashion Way".. beat the Sh!T OUT OF THEM and tell them if they ever dis you again.... Nah... have you experienced this>>??

I have experienced the opposite... a couple of men that frequent the coffee shop and juice bar in the morning have made it a point to raise their watch up in what ever way they can .. while they stand too long in front of their Porsche or BMW or one in front of his classic Ferrari... well turns out their watches are reps.. a PAM .. and 2 Rolex.. long story on how i let them know I knew (not with words).. but whenever they see me now they look soooo embarrased.. I don't know why.. I got on a rep.. but they don't know that.. probably because i never made a big deal of it ....

but everytime they see me they want to go hide in the opposite direction..someday we will have a big laugh over the fact that I never "called" them out and I am wearing reps too..

so the moral of the story is ... "your not that important".. meaning everyone is not concerned with your watch.. and the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter .. don't mind..

just don't make a big deal of your watch and if someone compliments you just shrug it off as"no big deal".. (cause it really isn't) :lol:

relax..

rolexconfuse, you have the correct forum name for sure.

If you look the part, who would call you out??

If you are confident in yourself, why would you care. If your not and need some self esteem help, then spend the cash on that first because a fake watch wont help.

Just react the "Old Fashion Way".. beat the Sh!T OUT OF THEM and tell them if they ever dis you again.... Nah... have you experienced this>>??

I have experienced the opposite... a couple of men that frequent the coffee shop and juice bar in the morning have made it a point to raise their watch up in what ever way they can .. while they stand too long in front of their Porsche or BMW or one in front of his classic Ferrari... well turns out their watches are reps.. a PAM .. and 2 Rolex.. long story on how i let them know I knew (not with words).. but whenever they see me now they look soooo embarrased.. I don't know why.. I got on a rep.. but they don't know that.. probably because i never made a big deal of it ....

but everytime they see me they want to go hide in the opposite direction..someday we will have a big laugh over the fact that I never "called" them out and I am wearing reps too..

so the moral of the story is ... "your not that important".. meaning everyone is not concerned with your watch.. and the people that mind don't matter and the people that matter .. don't mind..

just don't make a big deal of your watch and if someone compliments you just shrug it off as"no big deal".. (cause it really isn't) :lol:

relax..

I agree. And there is one more thing: You may consider yourself as an exception as it requires a certain amount of knowledge to tell which watch is a rep. I

I have no problems with confidence and I do not dress like a bum when i go out. I understand that most people can't tell 1 meter away or even if you sit at the same table. It's just that the people at timezone make it sound like you "suck and somehow you are less respectable" if you wear a rep and it doesn't even matter if you earn 6 figures or if you wear a 1k suit while doing it.

I remember someone saying how they use replacement band on their rolex so as not to scratch up the gen band and number of people jumped on the OP saying how it's dumb and etc.

99% of the population at large would not even notice if you wear a watch at all, never mind what brand it is or if it is a rep or not. Just wear a rep the same way you wear any other watch. If anyone treats you badly for wearing a rep, they probably are not worth your time anyway. A lot of folks I work with know I collect watches, a lot of them reps, and they don't treat me any different, I've even converted some of them.

Just to share a story relating to those who can afford gens and what they think of reps (heck, we have a lot of gen owning rep fans here). A while back, a collegue of mine was having a meeting with one of our clients and his business partner, a wealthy client and his wealthy business partner. During the meeting they noticed my collague wearing his SS black dial Daytona rep that I got for him and complimented him on it. He told them it was a copy and they did not beleive it, so my guy said "come on back, there is someone I want you too meet". We were introduced and talked watches for a bit, the client and his partner asked where I get reps from and I showed them Joshua's website, they were thrilled. They were impressed with the range of brands and said they just may buy reps from now on instead of spending big money on gens. One of them was wearing his genuine SS black dial ElPrimero Daytona, and he confided in me that "this watch always kept crappy time", lol. Just goes to show, when you are into watches, youre into watches, no matter who made 'em. Enjoy your collection, be they gen or rep!! No matter wha they say at timezone or watchuseek, you do what is right for you.

My experience is much like Southcoast. The people I work with know that I collect watches and that I have both gens and reps. One day I took our computer techs to lunch and one of them asked to see my watch. It was a rep white gold, day-date, one of my two or three favortie reps. He asked if it was genuine or a rep, but asked in a non-offensive way. (He had no idea that the gen retails for $27000 now that the dollar has fallen). When I told him it was a rep he responded "wow, that' really a nice watch." It then got passed around the table. The story ends with the guy asking me to help him locate a rep Rolex for his dad.

I wouldn't feel obligated to tell people that you're wearing a rep; the number of people who can actually spot the difference is miniscue and mostly confined to this and similar forum.

My experience is that most of those people actually wear reps as well, but are overcompensating hoping no one knows. I personally know 2 people that do this and IMO think it's a shitty habit... Unfortunately though, it spreads like wildfire as the next person thinks that's how they need to act in order to cover up...

the only advice I can give you is wear a rep for the right reason and not the wrong one...

right reasons:

1. you love the design of the OEM watch.

2. you love elegant, tasteful, and somewhat rare timepieces.

3. you either cannot afford or choose to spend your expendable cash on other items.

4. watch collecting is a hobby

wrong reasons:

1. to impress or fool those who might notice, even though I agree that many people never notice or care.

2. to try to infer you have signicicantly more net worth than is you have for whatever the reason.

3. to pull off a scam.

many of my friends and family, including myself, have many watches ( both oem and reps ). I love watches and cars... unfortunately my cars have to be OEM so many of my watches are not, but 5 are.

On average this topic crops up about every month, it's always interesting to read how one defines and justifies partaking in an illegal hobby. Everyone has their different reasons for doing so, I think the danger is when people buy them to pass them off as gens (not at a point of resale, but in everyday life), I came across someone that did this and it made me question their integrity and what else they might tell little white lies about.

Buy a rep, wear it as a rep. Have fun with it :)

Environmentalists and hippies might lose respect for you because of the whole "sweatshop" image associated with counterfeit goods, but I think most people would secretly want to find out where to get one so they can wear a luxury watch on the cheap too!

I have no problems with confidence and I do not dress like a bum when i go out. I understand that most people can't tell 1 meter away or even if you sit at the same table. It's just that the people at timezone make it sound like you "suck and somehow you are less respectable" if you wear a rep and it doesn't even matter if you earn 6 figures or if you wear a 1k suit while doing it.

I remember someone saying how they use replacement band on their rolex so as not to scratch up the gen band and number of people jumped on the OP saying how it's dumb and etc.

The guys at Timezone take themselves far too seriously. (The Paneristi are even worse). When you have spent multiple thousands on a watch, only to see someone with an indistinquishable copy that keeps time just as well, you've got to do everything you can to disparage it. It's a matter of self preservation. How can you sleep at night knowing that you overpaid for your sub by 5.600usd. :lol: You must belittle the rep or you will go insane.

There is a phrase that I found here: "respect for the forger's art". That outlook by itself, for me, justifies our little pursuit. Because of the depth of knowledge required to really embrace this aspect of watches, some of our members know much more about horology than even the well-versed timezoner. If you see reps as an addition to your love of the sport, instead of some bastardized spin-off, you can take pride in your appreciation, and even pooh-pooh (ok...patronize) the narrow minded dillettantes over there. Frankly, I really like the iconoclastic and subversive nature of the world of replicas, all the while, moving in the "respectable" circles of the WIS.

Can you imagine sitting at lunch with a "purist", talking him under the table about his 3135 movement, the pros and cons of microstella screws and nivarox hairsprings, the fabulous histories of the great manufactures and god-like watchmakers, A L Breguet, Daniels, Oechslin, etc. Bring up the latest Basel news, wax poetic about Gerald Genta's revolutionary designs, and get in a heated debate about the FiftyFathoms/Submariner controversy... then, as you pick up the bill, and he is still back at micro...what? you walk away with your spot-on Rolex/Breitling/IWC (whatever) and the poor bastard hasn't the first clue.

Have fun with it. :D:D:D

Edited by shimside11

• 2 months later...

you see i love watches :) i'm 18 years old and i've got some gens (speedmaster etc...) and some reps (navitimer, got my BR03 today!!) when i'm sitting in my classroom, i've got some teachers who stare every few minutes on my watch or when i need to talk to them in personal, it's so funny :D because i'm in an hotel school, my teachers are also dressed in suits aso. one of my teachers wears a breitling windrider (i've got the feeling it's a gen though), and he really like that i'm into watches. what ever, it's fun and i like them. by the way my first watch was a red flik flak (the children versions from swatch), from there up the the speedmaster -> by the way it's the same company! :p

The guys at Timezone take themselves far too seriously.

Can you imagine sitting at lunch with a "purist", talking him under the table about his 3135 movement, the pros and cons of microstella screws and nivarox hairsprings, the fabulous histories of the great manufactures and god-like watchmakers, A L Breguet, Daniels, Oechslin, etc. Bring up the latest Basel news, wax poetic about Gerald Genta's revolutionary designs, and get in a heated debate about the FiftyFathoms/Submariner controversy... then, as you pick up the bill, and he is still back at micro...what? you walk away with your spot-on Rolex/Breitling/IWC (whatever) and the poor bastard hasn't the first clue.

Have fun with it. :D:D:D

Absolutly, half of them dont know tick about that is inside just the name on the front

And Do you really care what these people think about you even if they could spot what you are wearing

I certanly dont!