When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSN order strategy

mjmurphy926

I'm trying to think of a way to order a 104 from DSN that will be a keeper on the first shot.

I'm thinking of telling him that I will send payment for a 104, but I don't want him to send a watch right away. Instead, I want him to email me several pictures of the watch he will send for my inspection. If, and only if, I approve of that particular watch, he may send it. If, for any reason, I don't approve of that watch, he has to pick another watch, send me pictures of that watch, and let me inspect those. This process will be repeated until I am satisfied with the pictures. I will, of coarse, retain the right to return the watch I receive, for refund or replacement, if I am not completely satisfied.

Obviously, this would have no baring on my receiving a watch that has a mechanical issue, but it should go a long way toward eliminating the possibility of my receiving a watch with cosmetic issues.

What do you think?

Does this sound reasonable, or would it just [censored] him off?

Mike

I think even if you get the pictures you request, there's always the possibility of a dead movement. That is a possibility from any vendor. Only reason I say this is because I ordered a new DSN104 and it showed up with a dead movement. I sent it back, ordered an extra watch and had two FLAWLESS 104's at my door in a week. Mine hasn't left my wrist since it showed up and it's keeping perfect time with no issues whatsoever.

Best of Luck. I have another order going in this week for a 240 and 036.

-M

I think even if you get the pictures you request, there's always the possibility of a dead movement. That is a possibility from any vendor. Only reason I say this is because I ordered a new DSN104 and it showed up with a dead movement. I sent it back, ordered an extra watch and had two FLAWLESS 104's at my door in a week. Mine hasn't left my wrist since it showed up and it's keeping perfect time with no issues whatsoever.

Best of Luck. I have another order going in this week for a 240 and 036.

-M

That's good to know M. Maybe I'm being too paranoid.

I'm looking at getting a 5218b from him and have asked for pictures first, have yet to see them yet. But he was Ok'ish with the idea.

I don't think it will be an issues, but as MGOLD says photographs will only tell part of the story

Guess its a a case of watch this space.

Hi Mike,

I just ordered a 104 from DSN too n paid it by moneygram, the watch hasnt arrived yet, probably end of this week or early of next week. In my case he did sent photo of my watch without I asked for, I write email to him mentioning all criteria that I want in my 104 and told him to make sure everything is correct, he replied 'well noted' and send me that picture a days later. I think DSN will send u picture, try to ask him, that's all I can say.

Rgds,

Peter.

I'm trying to think of a way to order a 104 from DSN that will be a keeper on the first shot.

I'm thinking of telling him that I will send payment for a 104, but I don't want him to send a watch right away. Instead, I want him to email me several pictures of the watch he will send for my inspection. If, and only if, I approve of that particular watch, he may send it. If, for any reason, I don't approve of that watch, he has to pick another watch, send me pictures of that watch, and let me inspect those. This process will be repeated until I am satisfied with the pictures. I will, of coarse, retain the right to return the watch I receive, for refund or replacement, if I am not completely satisfied.

Obviously, this would have no baring on my receiving a watch that has a mechanical issue, but it should go a long way toward eliminating the possibility of my receiving a watch with cosmetic issues.

What do you think?

Does this sound reasonable, or would it just [censored] him off?

Mike

What seller is going to be bothered with sending a 100 emails and pictures for a $300 watch?

a 100 emails and pictures? I realize I said several pix, but I was talking 4 or 5, not 100.

Members of this board do it everyday. Check the members -> watches section. Panatime sends me a picture of the exact strap I order from them and that's a $40.00 item. It's called customer service.

It doesn't seem like DSN had any problem sending an email with picture to petergunny.

I'll just have a friendly dialog with him when I'm ready to order and see what happens. From things I'm reading here, it seems he does care about keeping his customers happy which only makes sense. Unhappy customers become non-existent customers. It's kind of hard doing business without customers.

I have asked DSN for a couple pics of each watch I have ordered from. He has always done it, no questions. If its a two watch order, he'll do side by sides. I dont see why a couple more would hurt.

In fact, my next DSN order will be required to have the side shot of the crown guard. This bezel, crown placement issue now has me concerned on all my subsequent DSN PAM orders.

As others have noted on this board as of late. We need to hold the makers to higher expectations. And "bothering" for a few extra pics to ensure we get something we like for 300-400 USD should be just the beginning...

• 2 weeks later...

FYI that pics you get might not be the watch you receive.

Wasn't so in my case.

Also, it might "only" be a $300 rep in our eyes, but keep in mind that in mainland China (not including HK where I think he is) an average family of 3 with two working parents making around $20000 US is doing good.[/] HK it's higher but by a lot.

So, a $300 watch to us is a huge chunk of change to someone in China and to some is the equivalent of more then 3 months wages. DSN is doing pretty good with the money he is bringing in for these reps when you think about the fact that they should more then likely cost him less then $100 (I'd be surprised if they cost more then $75) to make.

Why would anybody go through all this hassle in order to ensure that the build quality of an inaccurate, dimensionally incorrect watch would be dragged up above DSN's usual standards of cr*p? Even if you get it all put together with more care than usual the components are tripe. The crown and stem position is far too high, the CG is the wrong shape entirely, the Ti caseback is thin and sounds tinny with only laser engraving etc etc.

What seller is going to be bothered with sending a 100 emails and pictures for a $300 watch?

the one who is willing to do business...since his reputation is lately questionable due to lack or non existance of QC...he should better do it IMHO!

300$ or more...what difference it makes...they are getting our hard earned money...they better do what we politely ask them to do...

The fundamental issue with DSN watches is his custom made case sets - especially the latest models with badly fitting CG's and crowns etc.

I purchase standard rep parts from DSN - and have no problems with these items

His ETA 6497 movements have Incabloc as standard.

His latest Pre-V crown is as good (if not better ) than PAM/PALP's and come with a new tube for half the price.

His Lumed hand stacks are good and have a choice of C1 / C3 or vintage lume.

I actually like some of his casebacks despite the thin steel construction. OP6500 is correct despite shallow engraving

His stanard rep CG's are far more reliable and better made than some of rubbish I've had - no misfitting lever issues to date

His Fiddy Sapphire crystal has NEVER exploded on me and IMO is the best available

I have sourced large font 7750 DW from him due to issues Lello has been having and these are half the price.

I'd suggest asking him to make you a 104 using standard rep case set - I know he was able to do this when he ran out of his custom parts a few months a go....

IMHO this could immediately resolve alot of the build quality issues and at least you'd have a watch that could be modded with std or even gen parts.

Basically - if DSN did this and just used his ready Super-lumed dial as his USP - it would be a big step forward.

:fish:

a seller from china where average person makes 1$/day ?

Unfortunately for those of us whose income is in dollars (and live in an economy powered by gasoline), this statement is no longer true and is becoming less true every day. The Chinese middle class is rapidly expanding. I believe the last number I saw was $100 a day. Still not what those of us in Europe and the US make, but much more than it was 10 years ago (and getting better all the time)

Since this thread seems to be staying alive, I thought I'd give an update.

I actually used this strategy last week and attempted to purchase a 104 from David. I sent him an email and told him I was interested in buying one of his 104s and asked him to send me a few pix of the watch he was going to send so I could check it out. He was very accomidating and sent me a series of shots of a watch that looked nice, but had some issues with the lume on the 9 o'clock subdial. It looked like the lume on the markers was maybe applied too thick and ran (or bled) a bit. I pointed this out and he agreed to send pix of another watch.

The second set of pix arrived the next day. This one still had a bit of the lume issue (not nearly as bad though) and I would have taken it, but there was a chunck of paint missing from the word LUMINOR on the bottom of the M. So, once again, I pointed this out and asked for another set of pix. David said he would send the the next day, but he sent nothing. It has been about 5 or 6 days now without a word from him.

I was kind of disappointed by the experience and have not persued the matter further.

I had decided use the funds I had allocated for the 104 to build a 111. The first thing I did was order an homage with a nice dagger movement off the bay. I figured I'd use the movement and hands from this watch. The watch I bought is supposed to be PVD (but might actually be paint) and now I'm thinking of a project 203a or some other PVD watch. I'll have to see what I think of a black PAM once my purchase arrives. I also bought a Trusty 111h w/Asian movement for the case and dial, which should arrive at the end of the week.

Now for the real dilemma...If I decide to build a PVD watch, I guess I'll have to try a case from DSN since he seems to have the only decent PVD case. But now I'm afraid he's annoyed with me and won't give me the time of day...Oh well, I guess we'll see.

I'm afraid he's annoyed with me and won't give me the time of day.

mj, did you really just say that :rolleyes: , I have to look again?! He has no reason to be annoyed, he probably sent those two out to other customers who may or may not return them. It's this attitude that's allowed him to do this....until now. Hell, there are those who aren't bothered by the case notch, the case notch? It's a hole in your case that doesn't belong there .... but that's fine. You did the right thing by not accepting the watch, buy a different 104 and be happy with it.

Edited by UncleJay

mj, did you really just say that :rolleyes: , I have to look again?! He has no reason to be annoyed, he probably sent those two out to other customers who may or may not return them. It's this attitude that's allowed him to do this....until now. Hell, there are those who aren't bothered by the case notch, the case notch? It's a hole in your case that doesen't belong there .... but that's fine. You did the right thing by not accepting the watch, buy a different 104 and be happy with it.

You're absolutely right Jay.

Sometimes I remind myself of a spoiled little kid and if I want something, I WANT IT!! If that means coddling someone who shouldn't be coddled in order to get what I want (in this instance a decent PVD case) even if it is not for the greater good. I know what I should do is not give him my business until he makes a commitment to step up QC. So, that's what I'll do.

Thanks for setting me straight.

I guess I can always look for a source to bead blast and PVD my existing case.