When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Psychology of a rep Rolex Buyer

subzero1

This is an observation I've been making about the community here with regard to the latest rolex rep, the ceramic GMT II. I started that thread because I was super-stoked that this 1:1 rep was being made, with ceramic no less, and the correct, new bracelet. Then the responses were mostly a bunch of pissing and moaning, wild speculations about the price, misinformation and incorrect speculation about the build, etc...

I thought, "Why is everyone being so sour without anyone even having seen one in the flesh? Why is there not more genuine interest in what is being offered?" I mean, everyone knows there are tons of mediocre Rolex reps out there, most with some rather serious flaws, and here's one that gets pretty darn close right out of the box. I figured people would be falling all over themselves to order one.

Then it hit me. It's a Rolex. Anyone that owns or considers buying one is immediately suspected of having a rep, simply because it's Rolex. There's a lot of baggage that comes with owning a Rolex (gen or rep), and it seems as though people simply cannot get past that baggage to appreciate the level of effort that went into this one.

The reaction is not a huge issue to me, I don't really care what people think. Plus in my everyday life, everyone that knows me even moderately well knows that reps are my hobby so I'm not 'fooling' anyone w/this, so the fact that is says Rolex is no different that if it says Hublot or IWC, or whatever. I just found it interesting how prickly and how sour the general populace here in the face of what I think is a pretty dang good rep.

I may not be the best 1 to comment on this because I am not a big fan of the gen model, but from what I can see in the pictures that were posted, this looks like a rep, which may be what some of the moaning is about. But, like you said, no one has seen 1 in the flesh yet, so maybe it will look better than the pictures.

Im not too fussy about flaws, because at the end of the day it is a rep, what does bother me is paying 388USD for a 'Swiss' movement. Nice post though Subzero, and it highlights why I would never buy a gen Rolex - the stigma of most Sub's being reps etc...

I think the watch is very nice looking, but yes the price is a bit high. You can get a pretty good SS sub with swiss ETA for around $200. I don't see $188 worth of extras on this one. The sad part is that the two cartel buddies will probably have a lock on this for a while. Maybe in 3 months we will also see another super duper improved version.

You're right....it always amazes me. Any other brand and everybody would be hooping and hollerin'. Actually, no one here has even seen it in the flesh yet. It ain't gonna be perfect, but I'll bet when the reviews come in, it will be pretty darn good. Price......yup, too high, but all the new "high end" reps are.

What I'm waiting for is the new seadweller, and if the flaws are the same as here and the price is the same, I'll probably jump on it........but that's just me.

The disclaimer on the dealers website states that these replica watches "Are meant for novelty purposes only". Indeed, they are novelties, and by and large, they are fairly well made copies of the real thing. The genuine GMT is around 9K in US dollars and the rep is 388.00 Most Rolex reps are a couple hundred bucks, but this one has a ceramic bezel. That feature drives the price up as ceramic watch making is quite costly. Again, the rep watches we buy are not bad at all for the prices, if those who want to pee and moan about every tiny detail, then buy the genuine, otherwise taking this hobby so seriously defeats the purpose.

The disclaimer on the dealers website states that these replica watches "Are meant for novelty purposes only". Indeed, they are novelties, and by and large, they are fairly well made copies of the real thing. The genuine GMT is around 9K in US dollars and the rep is 388.00 Most Rolex reps are a couple hundred bucks, but this one has a ceramic bezel. That feature drives the price up as ceramic watch making is quite costly. Again, the rep watches we buy are not bad at all for the prices, if those who want to pee and moan about every tiny detail, then buy the genuine, otherwise taking this hobby so seriously defeats the purpose.

Eh Brah !!!.. just thinking about this very topic today.. and specifically your response....

remember last year the Swiss Federation.. went after one collector in particular ... I'm sure the makers could make an exact duplicate of the genuine.. I do hold a belief that they add little flaws purposely.. ie Fonts etc... this is just a hypothesis on my part.. it may keep the powers that be off their backs

but as you say HB this is a hobby and they are reps.. otherwise one may think that members are looking to pass these off as the real deal.. for what ever reason.. be it monetary or otherwise..

The only reason people should be fussing over this one should be due to price.

Truth is, these things are made in Asia, so swiss "quality" is out the door... and tagging it with the "a genuine piece was used to make this one" is such an old marketing ploy within this hobby of ours... Hence, the SSD.

Claimed to be originated from the genuine article, only to find out that even something as simple as a genuine crystal doesn't even fit.

The term "ceramic" being tossed around as "partial" already puts doubt into the quality of the ONLY real part of this model that has any interest to me... Also, is the bezel Ceramic or Ceramic coated? What does that mean exactly? Also, as the past has shown us, knowing that this thing is coming to me with a 50/50 chance of having a working 2836 modified movement doesn't make me jump for joy just yet...

What makes this piece $$$'s more than a GMT with a similar flawed case, bracelet, and dial, movement, and hands?

however, after all that, am i going to buy one?

yes, and i know what i am going to do to it too: http://www.discoverprohunter.com/collection/ceramic/

PP

Edited by poopypants

This is an observation I've been making about the community here with regard to the latest rolex rep, the ceramic GMT II. I started that thread because I was super-stoked that this 1:1 rep was being made, with ceramic no less, and the correct, new bracelet. Then the responses were mostly a bunch of pissing and moaning, wild speculations about the price, misinformation and incorrect speculation about the build, etc...

The reaction is not a huge issue to me, I don't really care what people think.

Dude

Its not just Rollies, every board around these parts of late seems to be full of negative thoughts. Its seems unless your watch has a certain % of gen parts then its just not good enough. Its a shame because I thought this hobby was supposed to be fun. But there are many who wish to rain on our parade.

Perhaps they are plants form AD's trying to dampen our enthusiasm.

I thought the GMT looked pretty sweet, and its now firmly on my To Do list

ST4

"Why is everyone being so sour without anyone even having seen one in the flesh? Why is there not more genuine interest in what is being offered?"

Ever since I joined the replica community, disappointment has frequently risen to one of my most popular emotions. When replica manufacturers continue to make the same mistakes, or screw up things they did correctly before, it begins to get a little unnerving - especially now that ETA movements are starting to get replaced with clones and prices are rocketing into low-end gen territory. It's not limited to Rolex.

I would describe it as the obsessive pursuit of logically unattainable perfection.

The psychology of wearing a Rolex is exactly why I like wearing non branded versions of these watches. I simply appreciate the design, look, and function. I personally could care less about the branding. I have purchased several rolex reps and a gen Omega since joining this group. Funny thing is that my non branded sterile watches get more wrist time than the "Rolexs" and my Omega rarely comes out of the watch box.

post-11445-1211791675_thumb.jpgpost-11445-1211791708_thumb.jpg[attachme

nt=23162:NonBrandedGMT2.JPG]

post-11445-1211791727_thumb.jpg

I must admit, I have moved a bit to gens since the insane price jumps, I picked up an Oris F1 chrono recently from the bay (just getting serviced) for less than the price of a mid-high price rep. If the guys are not careful they will price themselves out of the market. All we need is one new and reliable dealer to break the cartel and thing will start happening, not buying dont mean jack but competition will break down barricades very fast. As I have mentioned in previous posts, if dealer cant provide spares or good QC then the cheaper gens are going to look better and better

Very well said :good:

Im not too fussy about flaws, because at the end of the day it is a rep, what does bother me is paying 388USD for a 'Swiss' movement. Nice post though Subzero, and it highlights why I would never buy a gen Rolex - the stigma of most Sub's being reps etc...

I'm obsessed w/ flaws but only for my own enjoyment :lol: . Sane people should realize that it is fairly easy, if even necessary, to bring good reps to a level that will fool all but the people who will never be fooled by ANY rep, however much you spend modding. It all boils down to the unavoidable fact that any rep's believability is 99% non-watch related. If you walk the walk, almost any decent rep, Rolex or not, will be assumed gen. If you don't walk the walk you could sport a gen rolex and everyone will say, "nice fake rolex."

I'm obsessed w/ flaws but only for my own enjoyment :lol: . Sane people should realize that it is fairly easy, if even necessary, to bring good reps to a level that will fool all but the people who will never be fooled by ANY rep, however much you spend modding. It all boils down to the unavoidable fact that any rep's believability is 99% non-watch related. If you walk the walk, almost any decent rep, Rolex or not, will be assumed gen. If you don't walk the walk you could sport a gen rolex and everyone will say, "nice fake rolex."

I second this totaly. :)

Spending time, energy and money specificly in Rolex replicas is purely a hobby, not at all wanting to pass a rep for a gen.

Loving the Rolex designs is very often more precise than just the brand by the way.

In example, I have one single Daytona (rep) and wouldn't go for each model available, nor would I spend 10K for a gen.

My obsession is the Submariner/SeaDweller line.

With dates, without dates, I cannot resist and want to finish them all.

Bring them as far as possible close to their "real" mothers. :wub:

Rolex5513_800_27B.jpg

When I was a 25 years old kid I dreamed about a Submariner and didn't even buy a rep, probably because I would have felt ashamed to wear a copy.

Today, I'm not ashamed at all to wear the reps.

And guess what: almost no one I crossed these last 6 to 9 months asked me about one of my Rolex.

Not even a "Hey nice watch", nada. Like if they didn't exist on my wrist :blink:

But, when I was wearing a white dial Breitling on a brown leather strap, almost everyone was noticing it :lol:

I bought myself a gen SeaDweller recently and will probably end with a gen Sub date and a gen Sub no date one day.

This because I feel that if I had to choose between 20, 50, 100 or 200 models, these one would still be the one I love.

The pleasure I have wearing my high end reps is exactly the same as wearing my gen Sea Dweller, believe it or not.

Wearing the Great White or the 5513, allthough they are reps, is even better than the gen Sea Dweller some days. <_<

One of the reason is that they are close to the real deal, like an homage to the real deal, not intended to be the real deal.

The other reason, even more important, is that they were build by an artist and we shared something toghether.

Can you imagine how many times a box with watches went from my place to his and back to mine? :rolleyes:

Both he and I spent a lot of time putting them toghether, finding the parts, thinking about which one to do next, ...

That is something I will never have the chance to share with an AD salesman nor with a Rolex watchmaker, is it?

And of course, I wouldn't have the chance to share if I had the skills to do it myself neither, which is a good thing in the end.

Call me stupid, but this hobby turned into a Sub/SD love affaire to a point that none of the new models available from our dealers is worth a 100$ in my eyes.

I'm even pretty sure that I'm done with Explorer II and GMT II (with the exception of RepAustria's GMTII).

Very few models I owned are still in my collection; Ingy, 3717, PO, 196 are the only ones that bring me close to the pleasure of wearing a Sub/SD.

Cheers

Stephane

Posted while wearing my 5513, originaly from JustAsGood in America, Modded in Europe but abroad and fitting a pearl offered by Bazz from Australia to finally land in Brussels.

Isn't this what makes our hobby so special and unique? It is not about buying watches only nor fooling anyone.

:gathering:

Rolex5513_800_17B.jpg