When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Some Thoughts...

maxmsu

I've always sold my watches at a loss, some more than others. As evidenced by my recent sale of my daytona. i have never ever seeked to make a profit from selling wtaches, but if there is a market for overpriced used watches, then it is because people are willing to pay the price.

Eddy

I think when something is overpriced and inferior model the seller should be called out in a nice way (maybe first from a PM)

We are here to protect the people who don't know, so we don't want to let them overpay.

This is a pretty good idea,,,,and would serve as a reality check for some as long as it was done in a thoughful way. My wife always calls me an anti capitalist, but I'm really not. Profit and Caveat Emptor is fine with some stuff, just not my passions.

I think those of us that have sold watches to other members can sympathize, when we see a big ticketed item. At least that's how I feel. But at the same time, I also think, "well, this is kind of none of my business" so it's kind of a catch 22. I want members on this board to get a good deal when they see something, but I also don't want to ruffle too many feathers, by telling the seller, why are you "kind of" ripping people off? it's a touchy subject overall. although, I guess some members do not know how the prices have been falling, so I have to give everyone benefit of the doubt here.

That's exactly what I thoguht : none of my business... & I don't want people to think I am a smarta$$ or something. But there gotta be something we can do...

maybe a sticky with all the watches & their price range.

Rep watches RARELY OR DON'T hold their values - that's why we call them "reps" right? I do think people are entitled voice their opinions. Maybe when we see something that the seller is trying to rip newbies off,

paste a link to the website where it is being sold right now with the price on it.

just some thoguhts. As long as it is fair and reasonable I think it is all good.

P.s. Just noticed the people who is selling at a high price are the new memebers... I never seen a old member did that. I could be wrong though.

I think Paul did a very good job to totally inbalance the old prices with his crazysale. it is good and healthy at least that's what I think.

That's exactly what I thoguht : none of my business... & I don't want people to think I am a smarta$$ or something. But there gotta be something we can do...

Rep watches RARELY OR DON'T hold their values - that's why we call them "reps" right? I do think people are entitled voice their opinions. Maybe when we see something that the seller is trying to rip newbies off,

paste a link to the website where it is being sold right now with the price on it.

just some thoguhts. As long as it is fair and reasonable I think it is all good.

P.s. Just noticed the people who is selling at a high price are the new memebers... I never seen a old member did that. I could be wrong though.

I think Paul did a very good job to totally inbalance the old prices with his crazysale. it is good and healthy at least that's what I think.

Great ideal and thoughts.... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

There is also the fly by nighters..........The guy's who find the site stumble on to the trading area and behold lot's of beautiful watches a hell of a lot cheaper than what they found at other sites.

Ken

I think that we have a strange mentality when trying to determine how much a used rep is "worth". Some people think of them as automobiles, you drive it off the lot and it automatically loses 40% of it's value. Is that really necessary? Does that fact that someone wore a watch two or three times really justify a 40% decrease in value? Not really, that is just the perception.

BTW the whole "drive it off the lot and it loses 40% of it's value" gimmick was invented by auto dealerships to further their profits on trade ins and to severely reduce competition in the used car market.

I think that we have a strange mentality when trying to determine how much a used rep is "worth". Some people think of them as automobiles, you drive it off the lot and it automatically loses 40% of it's value. Is that really necessary? Does that fact that someone wore a watch two or three times really justify a 40% decrease in value? Not really, that is just the perception.

BTW the whole "drive it off the lot and it loses 40% of it's value" gimmick was invented by auto dealerships to further their profits on trade ins and to severely reduce competition in the used car market.

I agree whole heartedly. If you wear the watch ever, how much does it's worth really drop?

I always post who I bought it from and how much I paid for it. 99% of the time it was either bought from another member on this board or one of our several trusty dealers. I think it's funny that people are getting agitated about prices of used replicas. The bottom line is that no one is forcing you to buy anything. If I want to sell my used watch at a 30% loss instead of a 60% loss, don't complain about it, just don't buy it!

I think when something is overpriced and inferior model the seller should be called out in a nice way (maybe first from a PM)

We are here to protect the people who don't know, so we don't want to let them overpay.

. . . But there gotta be something we can do...

. . . I do think people are entitled voice their opinions. Maybe when we see something that the seller is trying to rip newbies off,

Hmmmmmmm . . . .

Unless they expect people to offer less than what ever they price it at, and are willing to deal a bit, even if it's just to get the price down to what they would have taken for it in the first place.

Special, Unique, or Rare items aside,.. most people are spending more

than they should simply do to lack of homework,...or misleading sales

or dealer posts.

They are too busy or lazy to to some comparison shopping, fall for the customs

ruse, when most dealers guarantee delivery and last but not least believe

negative dealer hype.

THAT'S IT !!!!

And before you start barking at me, no, I don't want to see anybody ripped off either, but this is just a ½ step away from the dumbass question, "Who has the best Sub?"

AND it takes even less effort to find the answer to see if YOU would be paying too much for the watch! There's even a DEALER'S section here at RWG2, no one even has to search through bunches & bunches of posts to find the dealers' sites like RWG1.. AND how many of the dealers even have LINKS to their websites in their dealer section?

I haven't looked, but I seriously doubt that anyone is making a good second income selling their watches in the member's watch zone, and I doubt that anyone is actually getting ripped off either. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but before I lay out a couple hundred bucks or more for something that's not brand new from a store, website, or replica watch dealer . . . actually, even if it is . . . I like to know about the product, and I really like to know what it's worth new. Then, I can make a responsible decision, or do a post asking, "What do you think a used/older model ____ rep is worth??"

There's more than enough information here for people to research, and actually learn some things. If they still feel _____ used rep watch is worth that price, buy it.

If not . . . don't!

B

Edited by Brian

"none of my business" is all fine and dandy until someone lists a SS breitling chrono avenger with quartz movement and wrong subdials for the same price as an accurate automatic Ti chrono avenger... It happened not too long ago and the price was changed when members called the guy out...

Point is, we should make some effort to make sure that newbs are not getting suckered into crazy deals because they have a false sense of security that comes from being on a forum that advertises itself as helping people avoid rip-offs....and if that means calling people out in their offer threads, then so be it...

"none of my business" is all fine and dandy until someone lists a SS breitling chrono avenger with quartz movement and wrong subdials for the same price as an accurate automatic Ti chrono avenger... It happened not too long ago and the price was changed when members called the guy out...

Point is, we should make some effort to make sure that newbs are not getting suckered into crazy deals because they have a false sense of security that comes from being on a forum that advertises itself as helping people avoid rip-offs....and if that means calling people out in their offer threads, then so be it...

Just stay away from my sales threads guys. This goes for sale today. $450. First Daytona with perfect subdial spacing. PM me if you're interested.

77813-31121.jpg

On something blatantly obvious like that situation, I've got no problem with. A newb posted that ??

I was referring more to someone selling a current, or earlier model for what they paid for it, or paid for with shipping. Getting back what they have in to it. That's their choice, and if someone wants to pay that, so be it. I really don't feel sorry for them or that they were "taken" on the deal. There may be newer models out now that are better . . . and maybe they're just newer models with their own new flaws, but at the time that they came out, a bunch of members purchased that rep, feeling like we were being charged a fair price by our dealers. You can't really come out and say that it's not worth the price, because it was. That's where the "homework" part comes in too. While no one here wants anyone to get scammed, I think most would like to have educated members and learning to be a bit educated members then a bunch of sheep everyone else has to watch over.

But that's just my opinion . . . I could be wrong . . .

B