When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just Some Thoughts...

maxmsu

am i the only one thought about this?

Used to be able to find very good deals on the board (trading section) but nowdays everytime I look, people charge a hugh high mark up on the watches they sell sometimes it is even much more than what the current price for the exact brand new model... :o and people still buying like crazy... what's up with that?

just want to vant a little, not my business anyways :whistling:

True.. I don;t know if you have something in your mind but in general sometimes if the watch is Brand new and within EU or US and there is no custom risk i don't think it is very strange to see the dealer price plus a small premium for peace of mind and fast dispatch and delivery...

True.. I don;t know if you have something in your mind but in general sometimes if the watch is Brand new and within EU or US and there is no custom risk i don't think it is very strange to see the dealer price plus a small premium for peace of mind and fast dispatch and delivery...

Yes but several asiatic dealers shoulder any customs risk.

Moreover i wonder if they offer some warranty at least for a couple of months (they aren't real dealer so i presume they don't have the same possibilities to replace and source parts like real dealers have)

Yes but several asiatic dealers shoulder any customs risk.

Moreover i wonder if they offer some warranty at least for a couple of months (they aren't real dealer so i presume they don't have the same possibilities to replace and source parts like real dealers have)

Why do you know any dealer who offers a couple of months guarantee?? :g:

Especially the high prices on older models that have since been revised and improved, or are currently selling at half the price that was originally paid. Unfortunatly most reps do not retain their value as the newer models typically get better and better every couple months (with a few exceptions ie. smp).

For what it is worth, I've also been pretty disappointed in the trading section lately. When I sell, I know I'm going to take a hit and I've never asked near what I've paid. I know it sucks. I paid 250 and just sold a watch for 150 and NEVER even had it on a single day. I think it depends on the assumptions being made which are not always explicit. If you sell a used watch near to what a dealer sells it for will you assume the responsiblities of a dealer? eg, fix things if something goes wrong the first few weeks, replace a part if something falls off, etc. I know if I buy from certain dealers and something goes wrong in a reasonable amount of time they will fix it. There is more guesswork with non dealers and I think the price should reflect this, IMO.

Unfortunatly most reps do not retain their value as the newer models typically get better and better every couple months (with a few exceptions ie. smp).

And 196, 188 which the newer models have a lighter and worst case than the old ones ;)

There are some exceptions, at least for me to justify paying higher prices for certain watches in the trading section- e.g. high quality models that have been long since out of production like the Royal Oak Nick Faldo, or in some cases, modded watches with heavy genuine parts content (if done correctly and to high standards). These are all factors I would take into account when considering a purchase.

The thing is that people are buying these watches still. ESPECIALLY the ones with mods. It seems like a while back, if you modded your rep it didn't affect the resale value at all. Maybe that has changed a bit.

Reps are only worth what people are willing to pay. So if people buy the reps for the higher prices then all we can do it [censored] about it.

I liked getting a 40% discount on used reps too, it looks more like a %10 discoutn these days.

The in the cases of the older Seamasters and 196/188 7753 the prices are higher because the newer vresion aren't near as nice so they are selling at a premium which makes sense to me.

Edited by speedy1

Btw, Aspire is really affecting my buying decisions lately.

I would have bought the 187 and the FA jones if Aspire isn't as popular.

I am suffering a $100+ loss in used market value for every watch that I bought since Aspire joined RWG. I am not buying any new watch until I know how much Aspire is going to sell...

Here is another thought (I don't know why I thought about this for my entire jog). Anway, Imagine 100 people use the following logic which is totally reasonable on the surface. "I paid 300, never had the watch on and will sell it for 270, whoever buys it is getting a good deal" This is actually true, but for larger numbers it becomes a problem. Out of those 100 deals how many will have problems shortly after getting the watch? I imagine people will be upset because they could have spent just a little more and had the problem fixed with a dealer. I just think over time, this logic could end up taking some of the enjoyment involved in watch trading. I would rather take my loss and know if something goes wrong, the person at least got a really good deal.

I have sold and bought many watches with fellow members. Never, ever any problems.

I'd much rather take a 2-week/2 months used watch from another member than start playing roulette with Paul (although his prices are often unbeatable). If the member is well known and trusted and SPEAKS PROPER ENGLISH (unlike some dealers)... and resides in EU/USA it's much better option. I'm willing to pay $20 - $30 extra, even. Who cares about twenty bucks?

This is where the reps fail, the problems usually surface right in the beginning... and if a member has owned the watch for weeks/months it has already survived the first "quality control phase".

But of course there are people who want their watches brand new. I can understand that with gold plated dress watches maybe, but people who complain about miniscule scratches in stainless steel sports watches (from normal wear) are weird, imho. My all member transactions have been absolutely perfect. We have a great community here. Just stay away from noob dealers and members in the sales section and you'll be fine.

Edited by By-Tor

The watches are worth what people are willing to pay I guess. I have sold and bought numerous used watches and I always took a HUGE bath on the ones I sold...but I have also gotten some great deals so it did not bother me when people got good deals on my stuff. But I agree, there are lots of very big ticket items these days in the trading zone.

(I remeber when members used to call people out with high price tags...but I suppose that is not politically correct anymore)

I think "outdated" rep models are a bit problematic. Like modern Submariners. Year ago it wasn't unusual to invest $500 to a CN Sub + mods which was FULL of flaws (even after mods).

This was my Sub (believe it or not...it was among the best ones 12 months ago!!!):

77299-31203.jpg

Now even the $100 Noobmariner is WAY more accurate, right out of box. And people still want mint from these outdated modded watches.

Then let's take 3rd gen Planet Ocean. AWESOME replica watch, better than most. If the 4th gen never surfaced (which is simply one of the best reps ever) the 3rd gen would still sell like hotcakes. But who want that watch anymore... now that Paul sells the 4th gen for $179? If that rep suddenly disappears from the market (like the old SMP)... hmm...reps don't hold their value? This is not always the case.

Special, Unique, or Rare items aside,.. most people are spending more

than they should simply do to lack of homework,...or misleading sales

or dealer posts.

They are too busy or lazy to to some comparison shopping, fall for the customs

ruse, when most dealers guarantee delivery and last but not least believe

negative dealer hype.

Neil for instance is turned out to be one of my favorite dealers.

As many know, I go through quite a few watches in my search for my ultimate

collection, and always sell those that don't fit me, at a loss, worn or not...

I don't worry about it either... this is a hobby, not a business... and I see anything

I get back on a watch as a discount on my next purchase.

Plus I pass along a deal to the board...

Squeeze the dollar, till the eagle hollers.. and get clawed... ^_^

I would probably end up with just as big collection as others if I didn't keep the principle "If I don't wear it, I'll trade it". Quite strange...I like to "experience" some watches, rather than wear them. But it's a nevereding cycle: now I want a TAG Link Chronograph (the new rep is gorgeous). Also Breitling Chronomat (saw a sleazy lawyer wearing a black stainless steel one and it was a KILLER!!!). Where is the rep already?

I used to find myself lusting after many Rolex models. I almost bought a ExpII, Daytona and many different Sub incarnations (I just count that I have owned 4 Subs). But then I never wear them (except the GMT). So I guess no more Rolexes for me. g.gif

I agree with RT: It's amazing that people don't do their homework (even though all the info in the world is available)... and then end up overpaying for inferior models.

I think when something is overpriced and inferior model the seller should be called out in a nice way (maybe first from a PM)

We are here to protect the people who don't know, so we don't want to let them overpay.