When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What kind of interest is there in a Ziggy substitute.

Before I ask him if he's interested I want a show of hands to see who's interested in servicing, overhaul, lumming and possibly AR. So here we go...

ohh and what kind of price he should charge...fairly please....

This is just till The Zigmeister resumes his normal schedule.

Before I ask him if he's interested I want a show of hands to see who's interested in servicing, overhaul, lumming and possibly AR. So here we go...

ohh and what kind of price he should charge...fairly please....

This is just till The Zigmeister resumes his normal schedule.

Just curious, what exactly is The Zigmeister's normal schedule?

ok ok...... There is NO substitute for the Ziggster

I used the word substitute very liberally.....I intented as like in substitute teacher.....I know The Zigmeister has been away or busy lately so in order to provide some kind of service to the members I thought I would share my source.... Im in SoCal by the way...

I don't mean to speak out of line here, but... Ziggy has earned his reputation the hard way, like an artist: one excellent piece after another. It's one thing to do simple overhauls and lubes... it's another thing to do "art" with a watch.

Anyone who treasures their watch will want someone with some cred. Ziggy's got that in spades.

I don't mean to diminish your watchmaker in any way, but there are watchmaker/artisans and then there are watchmaker/artisans. IMHO Ziggy is at the very top of the heap. I've got a few very special watches and over the last couple decades I hadn't found anyone I was willing to trust them with. Sure, most watchmakers are competent... I wanted a heck of a lot more than that.

So I read a ton of reviews about his fine service, and I took a chance. I have a 50-years old Submariner that was in serious need of an overhaul and I gritted my teeth and sent it to him. And long story short, he went way WAY beyond the call to make my baby *perfect*. I hadn't trusted it to anyone for over 10 years, but he was the one whose skills convinced me to give him a try. I couldn't have been more pleased. Literally.

So... anyone who wants to play in that rarified atmosphere has a huge uphill struggle ahead of them. There will be enormous expectations, and you'll want to make sure your watchmaker is up to the task.

Again, not to diminish him/her in any way, but there are Monets and there are finger-painters. Ziggy's a Monet.

I am very new to the rep scene and honestly I would probably wait until The Zigmeister's scheduling is open and available. Even though I'm sure I wont get the opportunity to own a Ziggified piece since he is hand picking the projects. Regardless I'm leaving my watches unmodded on the off chance I am able to have The Zigmeister's work done on them. Thats how good his work is from what I've seen on all the boards and in person, so there is no substitute no matter how 'liberal' the term was used. $.02

ok, I guess Ive just be shot down in a hug ball of flames and smoke...Im just trying to help, but I guess Ill keep my source a secret and continue to use his skillful knowledge in anything rep by myself...

Cheers

Guest carlsbadrolex

jcmiro, do you realize that there are probably hit teams on their way to your house as I type this???

The simple act of suggesting that there is a viable substitute for The Zigmeister is considered Blasphemy around here. I would sleep with one eye open!

JUST KIDDING (KINDA) ;)

jcmiro, do you realize that there are probably hit teams on their way to your house as I type this???

The simple act of suggesting that there is a viable substitute for The Zigmeister is considered Blasphemy around here. I would sleep with one eye open!

JUST KIDDING (KINDA) ;)

yeah just kidding...maybe keep both eyes open!! just in case!!

Personally, I think it is an incredibly reasonable suggestion, and one which does not diminish Ziggy or his unquestionable skills.

This discussion has been raised before, and normally resulted in the OP getting flamed to Hell and back, for daring to suggest that they might need/want to send their watch to someone other than Ziggy. Personally, I don't consider that an acceptable status quo. Here're the facts:

-Ziggy is an incredibly skilled artisan. No one is denying this.

-Ziggy has said himself on several occasions, that he only works with people he is happy to work with. While this is his right as an artisan, it does leave people who are not on his trusted list, pretty much 'out in the cold' when it comes to getting work done.

-Ziggy has, on several occasions, said that he is only doing this as a hobby, not as a business, and only does the work he wants to do. Same as above. This is his right, but, it does leave people with projects he does not want to work with 'out in the cold'.

-Ziggy can, and does, 'take breaks' from watchwork. This means that anyone wanting anything done to their watch, is pretty much up 5h1t creek, and having to either wait for him to resume taking comissions, or seek an alternative smith. The problem being, there is no 'alternate smith'...

To compare Ziggy to Monet is fine.

But.

Monet is not the only fine painter in the world.

Personally, I like Seurat and Hopper.

At the end of the day, what is needed for this community, are several reliable watchsmiths, who can carry out, and are prepared to work with folks on projects, so that people have choice, rather than having to rely on one watchsmith.

There is more than one watch dealer here. No one would consider Silix to be an afront to Joshua's credibility as a dealer, or Joshua to be an insult to Narikaa's. Why is this standard not being applied to watchsmithing as well?

At the end of the day, for whatever reason, people need choices and options in this area. Admiration of Ziggy's skills is one thing, but doing so when it is actually restrictive to the needs of people, is something else entirely.

I admit, there have been few other reliable smiths who have lasted the course, but, that's not to say that every smith in the future will be unreliable or unskilled...

No one can substitute Ziggy or the contributions he makes to this community. No one is suggesting that. What is being suggested, is that given Ziggy's preferences for work, it is only reasonable that there be other watchsmiths who folks could go to, should Ziggy be unable or unwilling, for whatever reason, to work on their watch. Regardless of if Ziggy is willing or able to work on someone's watch, they still need it worked on by someone, and right now, there is no 'someone' to give that option.

ok, I guess Ive just be shot down in a hug ball of flames and smoke...Im just trying to help, but I guess Ill keep my source a secret and continue to use his skillful knowledge in anything rep by myself...

Cheers

A watchmaker who is willing to work on replicas is valuable indeed to this community but it would be worthwhile to know what kind of skills we are talking about here. I'll give you an example of what Ziggy provides. Last year, I bought a Breitling Navitimer that had the dreaded "backwards B" on the chrono second hand. I recieved a replacement hand from the dealer and shipped the watch off to Z. The tube on the replacement hand was too short (it was probably for a Nav with the std 12,9,6 layout) and unuseable. Ziggy somehow removed the tube from the defective hand and attached it to the corrected hand, installed it, and now the watch looks perfect. Not only that, but the hand hasn't a scratch or a mar on it under 10X loupe examination.

Ziggy not only posesses the baseline skills of being able to tear down and rebuild complicated movements, but he does it with great care to not damage screw heads, scratch bridges etc...He is a true artisan in every sense of the word who has very high standards in his work. As I'm writing this, I realize just how fortunate we are to have him serve a replica community.

That's what we're used to here...I guess we're spoiled. I suppose anyone who can competently service a mechanical movement would be welcome.

TeeJay as a point here.

The original poster "title" was probably miss interpreted.

The point is that we all dream of a watchmaker next door that is willing to work on our reps...

If I had one, I would be delighted to walk to him and let him work on my reps instead of having them fly all over the globe.

This would not stop me to send a watch to Ziggy though.

Two different situations in my opinion.

Cheers

Please don't feel shot down. TeeJay made a great post. I'm new here, and I'm not "connected" so basically I can never have anything done by The Zigmeister. I would love to have more information about your watch guy and know that there is a place that my rep can have mods and things done to them. Is he in the CONUS?

jcmiro-

There is no substitute for Ziggy. However having another trusted watchsmith would be a good thing. Ziggy is one of very few people in the world who are a combination of skilled and caring watchsmith, true artist and honest. And yes, I believe there is no one who is better qualified for the wide variety of services which folks here are looking for. He is the only person I have come upon who I trust to work on very valuable gen vintage pieces never mind the reps. He is a wonderful friend and does all of my work. But Ziggy cannot do it all for everyone and acknowledges it.

Needless to say, the toughest part is finding someone who is really skilled at a wide variety of services or only does what he is good at. I have no problem with someone who is good at movement repair or overhaul only, knows it and only offers those services. I also respect the artisan who is good at aesthetically modding a watch - but the person doing the work has to be able to assemble or disassemble the watch as well. That way people know they are getting good work done.

Most traditional watchsmiths who are very competent with movements have little interest in aesthetics like lume or case mods. Lume and dial work is usually a freestanding skill. Further many watchsmiths are not willing to work with many of the movements that come in reps. So I would start with the question of work he has done for you in the past. What has he done? Have you been happy, etc. On pricing, Ziggy is more than fair and his prices are readily available so you might compare them to what the watchsmith normally charges.

No one is looking for a substitute for Ziggy as there isn't one. But there certainly is room for another valued watchsmith. What I don't want to see is a lot of folks rushing in until there is a broader comfort with any provider here. Historically, most people offering watch work here have either been incompetent or self-destructed. That doesn't mean that someone else can't be successful. But you would need to proceed slowly.

And lastly, I think would change the title. There is no substitute for Ziggy. :)

The Zigmeister is by far and away the very best. This is undeniable. He knows the rep world, the movements and he is a great modder. HOWEVER....if we all sit back and do nothing to bring in another to be a back up for The Zigmeister then one day we will wake up and there will be no one to mod/repair our rep watches. We really do need more than one top of the line expert in this area.

Being in this forum for 1 1/2 years and i am still holding out for an appointment with The Zigmeister (i think i [censored] him off once from my comment).

@jcmiro - it is nice to be able to find a local watchsmith who is replica friendly. you are in luck my friend.

jcmiro-

There is no substitute for Ziggy. However having another trusted watchsmith would be a good thing. Ziggy is one of very few people in the world who are a combination of skilled and caring watchsmith, true artist and honest. And yes, I believe there is no one who is better qualified for the wide variety of services which folks here are looking for. He is the only person I have come upon who I trust to work on very valuable gen vintage pieces never mind the reps. He is a wonderful friend and does all of my work. But Ziggy cannot do it all for everyone and acknowledges it.

Needless to say, the toughest part is finding someone who is really skilled at a wide variety of services or only does what he is good at. I have no problem with someone who is good at movement repair or overhaul only, knows it and only offers those services. I also respect the artisan who is good at aesthetically modding a watch - but the person doing the work has to be able to assemble or disassemble the watch as well. That way people know they are getting good work done.

Most traditional watchsmiths who are very competent with movements have little interest in aesthetics like lume or case mods. Lume and dial work is usually a freestanding skill. Further many watchsmiths are not willing to work with many of the movements that come in reps. So I would start with the question of work he has done for you in the past. What has he done? Have you been happy, etc. On pricing, Ziggy is more than fair and his prices are readily available so you might compare them to what the watchsmith normally charges.

No one is looking for a substitute for Ziggy as there isn't one. But there certainly is room for another valued watchsmith. What I don't want to see is a lot of folks rushing in until there is a broader comfort with any provider here. Historically, most people offering watch work here have either been incompetent or self-destructed. That doesn't mean that someone else can't be successful. But you would need to proceed slowly.

And lastly, I think would change the title. There is no substitute for Ziggy. :)

Couldn't have said it better. My thoughts exactly :thumbsupsmileyanim:

@Tee-jay

"To compare The Zigmeister to Monet is fine.

But.

Monet is not the only fine painter in the world."

People come ..........people go.........they are simply human, whatever their deeds and needs.

Yes there are probably many unsung hero's in the modding world.

I have seen some super reps that have been no where near The Zigmeister someone must have done them!

If you close your mind to the fact that maybe someone else can offer the same level of quality as The Zigmeister you will never find them.

The Zigmeister has said in his post that he is not looking for new customers and will only work on reps from the selected few.

So for the vast majority The Zigmeister is not available so the choices seem to be live with the watch out of the box or find an alternative to The Zigmeister to mod it.

In a perfect world everyone could just send their stock rep and pay to have it moded by The Zigmeister as they want but unfortunately this is not a perfect world

If you don't try new sources you will never know

Guest avitt

jcmiro, I think it was a mistake to invoke the name "The Zigmeister" in your original post. The mere mention of that name invokes strong passions, and comments which detract from the main question: Are members interested in learning about a new source for replica watch repair and modification?

I think that the answer to that question is an unqualified YES! (Even The Zigmeister himself has frequently stated that there is plenty of room on the boards for others to offer these services.)

I think I read that there are 11,000 members on this board, 5,000 of whom visit on a daily basis. It stands to reason that the demand for watch servicing far outstrips The Zigmeister's capacity, even when he's working at a full clip.

You may want to start another topic, which does not mention The Zigmeister's name. Then, you will have a better chance of conducting a discussion about your watchmaker, and answering the many questions that must be answered in order to properly qualify that individual.

TeeJay as a point here.

The original poster "title" was probably miss interpreted.

The point is that we all dream of a watchmaker next door that is willing to work on our reps...

If I had one, I would be delighted to walk to him and let him work on my reps instead of having them fly all over the globe.

This would not stop me to send a watch to Ziggy though.

Two different situations in my opinion.

Thanks for understanding my point :)

@Tee-jay

"To compare Ziggy to Monet is fine.

But.

Monet is not the only fine painter in the world."

People come ..........people go.........they are simply human, whatever their deeds and needs.

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say, precicely. I agree with your point, people come and go, and are simply human, but I don't understand how that relates to the discussion about alternative watchsmiths. :huh:

Yes there are probably many unsung hero's in the modding world.

I have seen some super reps that have been no where near Ziggy someone must have done them!

If you close your mind to the fact that maybe someone else can offer the same level of quality as Ziggy you will never find them.

Ziggy has said in his post that he is not looking for new customers and will only work on reps from the selected few.

So for the vast majority Ziggy is not available so the choices seem to be live with the watch out of the box or find an alternative to Ziggy to mod it.

In a perfect world everyone could just send their stock rep and pay to have it moded by Ziggy as they want but unfortunately this is not a perfect world

If you don't try new sources you will never know

Precicely the point I was trying to make :)

jcmiro, I think it was a mistake to invoke the name "Ziggy" in your original post. The mere mention of that name invokes strong passions, and comments which detract from the main question: Are members interested in learning about a new source for replica watch repair and modification?

I think that the answer to that question is an unqualified YES! (Even Ziggy himself has frequently stated that there is plenty of room on the boards for others to offer these services.)

I think I read that there are 11,000 members on this board, 5,000 of whom visit on a daily basis. It stands to reason that the demand for watch servicing far outstrips Ziggy's capacity, even when he's working at a full clip.

You may want to start another topic, which does not mention Ziggy's name. Then, you will have a better chance of conducting a discussion about your watchmaker, and answering the many questions that must be answered in order to properly qualify that individual.

An excellent suggestion. The one thing I would say, is that if the OP was to start off a new topic discussing watchsmiths, and not mentioned the Zed Word, it wouldn't be long (I'd bet before the end of the first page) that someone would post something along the lines of:

"Why do you want another watchsmith?? Just send it to Ziggy!!"

and then the discussion would be back to the state it is here.

Ziggy has stated himself, that he cannot and will not, work on everyone's watches, but those which he chooses to work with. That is not a criticism of him on my part, simply a statement of fact. For those he cannot or will not work on, as mentioned above, people might still need a watchsmith, rather than just living with the watch 'out of the box', therefore, if others can mention well skilled watchsmiths, then that gives options to others. Unless anyone tries different smiths, no one will ever know.

Right now, my 127 is in pieces. Yes, that's right, pieces. I have one watchsmith servicing the movement, and will be sending the dial and hands to another for re-luming. Now, how open the first watchsmith would be to working on multiple reps, I do not know, so I wouldn't post him as a suggestion as an 'alternative watchsmith'. If others were to know of watchsmiths who would be happy working on multiple reps (and the increase in business which the forum would likely channel their way) then listing them can only be helpfull to everyone. I'll be sure to let people know what happens with the 127 :)