When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

$31,800 Sub

Nanuq

Umm..... That "Nuke" Pearl you were really interested in, on an incorrect "squared number, hashes to 15" insert on a nearly perfectly even worn brass true coin edge bezel surrounding an aftermarket T19, which gives a rather 'wokky' looking distortion of the rehaut when viewed from the side, with a very nice SWISS gilt dial and hands (although the seconds looks like a newer replacement), in a decent looking case with Brevet Crown, with an unfortunate mis-drilled hole on the upper right lug, enclosing a very nice looking, and appropriate 1030, with a good looking caseback with bad looking date stamp.

Hmmm....

Who's running the grill? The franks are a little underdone.

Hmmmm....

Can't see the forest for the trees?

Can't see the between the lugs shot... doesn't exist for me... so if it was there, I can't say...

Perhaps it was the brand new replica rivet bracelet that is bothering you?

I agree with POTR- the insert looks like a 5513 insert. The lugholes look OK to me- it's just the pics and the lugs have been polished (overpolished?). A T-16 would be correct for the 6536-1, but the crystal looks OK to me. Movement and crown seem OK. I do agree that the seconds hand appears to be a later replacement.

Wow you guys are good. Mine's a 1958 and has the SWISS dial... radium.

The kicker is the colors used for "100m - 330ft" and "Submariner"

Here's mine:

bond_sub_midnight_2.jpg

I don't think the difference in white or gilt dial print is a big deal on the depth rating and I certainly don't see anything wrong with the all gilt dial from the pic- but the pic ain't that good.

I guess I'll have to go home and read Skeet and Urul.

Remember, this was the 50's and Rolex did what they did. Who would have thought 50 years later collectors would be over analyzing their vintage watches.

I'm stuck on two minor things- the bezel insert (a 5513 insert) and a possibly replaced second hand- what can you do if the old one breaks! Three, if you count the bracelet, but it's a non issue in my mind.

Price is pretty high, but that's the market. These guys are elephant hunting- if they get one, they can live off the meat for 6 months!

Wow you guys are good. Mine's a 1958 and has the SWISS dial... radium.

The kicker is the colors used for "100m - 330ft" and "Submariner"

Here's mine:

bond_sub_midnight_2.jpg

Sorry Nanuq, I think you may be wrong on this one. Early versions of the '36 had depth ratings in red, and IMO this dial looks 100%. This watch is obviously worth a lot of money, but it is beat up a bit. It would be interesting what the Timezone folks would say about it.

Hmmmm... I've never seen one with SUBMARINER in anything but gold on a gilt dial.

It should be silver 100m over gold SUBMARINER. Or, as you said, red depth rating over gold SUB.