When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New iPhone 2.0 - thoughts?

UB7

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The things that bug me most about the iPhone is that there's no copy and paste function and the way SMS messages are all grouped by conversation/contact...

Sometimes I want to filter out or delete certain ma\essages, but it's not possible as far as I can see :(

Otherwise, I'm really liking it and hope the v2 software makes it better!

Avitt we may have crossed paths. I was the VP/GM (both blue and VZ) for a large 5MM+ pop MSA in the the Southwest - but my scope came you direction - I was heavily involved with the divestitures & then the integrations of LA Cell, Cell One in SF, and GTE San Diego.

The guy on the Blue side that is the executive champion of the iPhone came from the LA market. Glenn's in 'lanta now.

regarding the networks - I hear what you're saying, I just think its splitting hairs. Both companies are robust & stable networks.

Guest avitt

Almost assuredly we have, davethecat! My history in the industry dates back to the PacTel Cellular/LACTC/BACTC days, and we've done business with all of your old markets.

I agree that the quality issue is splitting hairs...It's like arguing that the Celtics are better than the Lakers...It's true, but they're both damn good teams.

For what it's worth, my phone is on AT&T, and has been for over 15 years (from analog, through TDMA, GSM, and now on to 3G). The service is good enough...it's just not great.

AT&T Wireless ..."Call me back from a land line."™ ;)

Edited by avitt

No. It's master of web-browsing, music, movies and IMAP email.

Strangely, I've heard people review the iPhone as being the worst 'iPod' Apple have released...

At the end of the day, I guess as long as it does what you need it to do, then that's all that matters, I just think it was a pretty good marketing/con job on Apple's part to release 1.0, lacking 3G, but knowing full well they'd be releasing 2.0 so soon after. Out of curiousity, when was 1.0 released inthe UK? Was it over 18 months ago? If not, meaning people still within the 18 month contract, would have to pay out again for a new phone (and likely be tied into another contract, rather than 2.0 being considered an upgrade on their 1.0 contract :D ) All good for Apple's bank balance, I guess :D

Strangely, I've heard people review the iPhone as being the worst 'iPod' Apple have released...

The worst iPod? I've not heard that, but it would still make it better than anything else out there.

At the end of the day, I guess as long as it does what you need it to do, then that's all that matters, I just think it was a pretty good marketing/con job on Apple's part to release 1.0, lacking 3G, but knowing full well they'd be releasing 2.0 so soon after. Out of curiousity, when was 1.0 released inthe UK? Was it over 18 months ago? If not, meaning people still within the 18 month contract, would have to pay out again for a new phone (and likely be tied into another contract, rather than 2.0 being considered an upgrade on their 1.0 contract :D ) All good for Apple's bank balance, I guess :D

The iPhone was released in November 2007, 9 months before the 3G version. If you actually do the modicum of fact checking or research before just assuming stuff and running with it, you'd save yourself some time speculating on a speculation. ;)

I've got an iPhone v1 and if I want to get a v2, I just have to pay

As previously mentioned, the catch is the contract. If you are a current Iphone user (I have been for about a year now and I have been very happy) or a new customer, you will have to sign a new two year contract that will be at a higher rate (here is the states it is about $10.00 to $20.00 more per month for the current, but equivalent plan on the old Iphone)

No new contract = no new Iphone. No one will be allowed to purchase an Iphone without purchasing a new plan according to Apple...

It is a better phone for sure, 2x faster, GPS, thinner, longer battery life, improved sound, better reception etc.

The question is - do you want to pay for it?

Additionally, when the new Ihone comes out Apple will release version 2.0 software updates for existing Iphones - I think it will fix a few bugs and may have a couple of more applications, but that is about it...

As previously mentioned, the catch is the contract. If you are a current Iphone user (I have been for about a year now and I have been very happy) or a new customer, you will have to sign a new two year contract that will be at a higher rate (here is the states it is about $10.00 to $20.00 more per month for the current, but equivalent plan on the old Iphone)

The price in the UK doesn't change, thankfully.

... and yes, no-one is forcing anyone to upgrade. The newer phones are not necessary to get the new apps, so only those who can get free/cheap upgrades (ie. anyone in the UK) or those for whom the new features (flush jack, 3G, GPS) are essential should consider it a no-brainer. The old phone doesn't get any slower because a new one comes out.

Additionally, when the new Ihone comes out Apple will release version 2.0 software updates for existing Iphones - I think it will fix a few bugs and may have a couple of more applications, but that is about it...

iTunes Application Store. HUGE improvement, and it'll be available on old and new iPhones running v2 of the software.

The worst iPod? I've not heard that, but it would still make it better than anything else out there.

That's what I've heard. As for it being better than anything else out there, I'd have to question that. Sure, in terms of convergence, sure, not that many MP3 players out there answer calls, go online, etc, but I've heard people say that even the iPod Touch can be a bit 'twitchy' and temperemental...

The iPhone was released in November 2007, 9 months before the 3G version. If you actually do the modicum of fact checking or research before just assuming stuff and running with it, you'd save yourself some time speculating on a speculation. ;)

But that's not as much fun as speculating ;) Either way, I was right in my thought that it's inside the 18 month contract period. Now, had they released 2.0 after, say, 17 months, then they'd likely have got better take up with people doing the 'end of contract upgrade' rather than the folks who'll be buying it simply because it's available...

I've got an iPhone v1 and if I want to get a v2, I just have to pay

No. It's master of web-browsing, music, movies and IMAP email.

It WAS the best - my wife has one, i have the HTC Kaiser/ Att tilt

the new official opera 9.5 browser- works just as well as the mobile safari browser - the ONLY thing they don't have yet is the pinch zooming, but a quick double click on the screen and your zoomed in - and the text formats to fit the width of the screen, its pretty cool. AND i'm already 3G- by the fall, it will be 7MB vs. 3 mb down i'm sure the upcoming 3g chip is in the iphone - basically a year behind

I also use Pocket Player 3.6 with an 8gb micro card and have just as much music and flexability as the first Gen iphone - 16gb cards will be out momentarily and 32 gb cards within the year

kaiser has a driver problem so movies, don't get there, BUT i have a removable battery which means i could actually watch more than her.

i also have a iphone dialer skin

the new HTC diamond has a vga screen,

iphone was a remarkable innovation and set the pace - but WM is catching up - the key though, is iphone does it out of the box - so its idiot proof.

The flip side is WM is more powerful, but requires more knowledge.

and, reality is, i couldn't give up my tom tom

That's not too shabby at all. Don't forget though, there are negative reviews of the iPhone out there, including in this very thread, so while it may indeed be good for you, and a product you're satisfied with, there are other iUsers who would disagree with you ;)

Who wrote a negative review?

Let me rephrase that; Which iPhone owner wrote a negative review? Playing with one in a shop and deciding not to buy it isn't a negative review. I've always said it's not for everyone, but which iPhone owners are dissatisfied?

I got my son the i phone for his birthday and he dropped it accidently, shattering the screen, which is made of glass. Apple would not cover the warranty as it was not a functional problem, and they offered to replace it for $250. I then got my boy an LG, which is a good phone, so perhaps he will be more careful, however 200. for the new one is pretty good, and with a service contract through ATT, should run half that. Not bad.

That gives me pause..

I've dropped my Nokia 9300i several times without a scratch or pause in my call....

This i-phone would not last with me...

Who wrote a negative review?

Let me rephrase that; Which iPhone owner wrote a negative review? Playing with one in a shop and deciding not to buy it isn't a negative review. I've always said it's not for everyone, but which iPhone owners are dissatisfied?

The review I read was on a forum devoted to the Cect P168+. As I said, even in this thread, someone has mentioned the issues they had with their iPhone. I've also heard 'reviews' of the phone from a friend who owns one, or rather, owned one, as they got sick of it and sold it a while back. I'm only relaying personal experiences here, rather than reviews I searched out online by typing "negative iPhone reviews" into google ;)

I have to admit, where you say about it not being for everyone, while that's certainly true, the iPhone (and to a degree, some of the iClones) are incredibly userfriendly, and certainly useable by anyone (who takes the time to get used to some of the functions, like the 'text tabs') I think it's more a case of not everyone being comfortable with touchscreen technology, or simply not requiring/or needing certain functions of the phone.

[Edit to add]

With regards the durability of the iPhone, I saw an online video review, where someone was 'destruction testing' an iPhone. If I recall, it withstood having the screen 'keyed' without sign of damage, and survived numerous 'drop tests' from a variety of heights, and onto a variety of surfaces, and only started to show case damage (screen was undamaged) when it was dropped (rather forcefully) onto the street. It was interesting to say the least, I wish I could remember the URL for it...

The review I read was on a forum devoted to the Cect P168+.

I've read that review and it was not that accurate. It seemed to be a serious case of picky buyer's remorse.

As I said, even in this thread, someone has mentioned the issues they had with their iPhone.

You said ...

Don't forget though, there are negative reviews of the iPhone out there, including in this very thread

... and I can't find negative reviews in this thread.

Yes, no copy/paste, stupid headphone socket, poor camera ... that's not a bad review, it's just the cons against which there are a huge number of pros.

It's not a perfect device, but it's not bad at all. :)

I've read that review and it was not that accurate. It seemed to be a serious case of picky buyer's remorse.

What was inacccurate about it? I'd agree, buyer's remorse is one thing, but, that in itself tends to actually be fuelled by something.

Post # 40

I guess that depends on how one defines 'not bad'... I agree, the iPhone is very userfriendly, very slick in terms of operation, and an excellent purchase for someone (like me) who needs to have several devices with them, but doesn't want to permanantly wear a photographer's vest just to carry them :D However, in administrative terms, the 18 month contract is restrictive, and not giving value for money. 3 will offer virtually any phone a client wants, for free, when taking out (or certainly when renewing) an 18 month contract. Given Apple knew when 1.0 was released that they'd be releasing 2.0 nine months later, it wouldn't've hurt them, as a company, to be a more in line with other companies, and let the phone go for free, and simply take their cut of the contract fees. What they did was not 'business', but corporate greed. Also, in terms of device interaction, the iPhone requires too much of a person's PC to synch with it. It is not simply a 'plug and play' device, and there is absolutely no reason why it should not be thus. No reason whatsoever, when generic MP3 player, can simply be plugged into a computer and used (sometimes necessary software must be loaded first, but that comes free with the player) to download tracks stored on the computer straight away.

You said ...

Yes, no copy/paste, stupid headphone socket, poor camera ... that's not a bad review, it's just the cons against which there are a huge number of pros.

Current iphone owner. Had it the first month. Its been GREAT!

The only complaint I have is about their marketing of the device. Being a first adopter, I am not replacing it with V2 yet: need to feel that the amount I paid for it is used up;-). That is not a bad review, its a complaint against their marketing.

Personally, every phone has cons ect. Its only that the iphone is sooo big in the news that their's stand out since more people are interested in that brands news than others. Tons of negative feedback on many forums are from non-owners. Why? who knows, maybe it makes them feel better about what they have or maybe their phone's own forum topic has NO traffic.