When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Tag Heuer SLR--Quick Pics.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No probs guys... there are so many watches that I want. I first want the Ebel BTR, as soon as I figure out which version. :)

I can always get this later.

• 2 weeks later...
For what it's worth, I PM'ed Italiano about his experience and he said the watch wasn't working. He advised me to stay away.

I really, really like the watch, and want one. Just want to make sure that it's not a paperweight.

Well mine will be here within the week so I'll let you know. Tazzman's had it a little while so any QC issues should have manifest already. I hope anyway. :unsure:

Italiano's experience isn't unusual, but is by no means model-specific. Anything with an asian 7750 is always a bit of a crapshoot, probably more so those with extra gear mods like big dates etc.

But will post updates here when I get it and a month later after some wear and tear.

I just saw on Kings site that this one has been released with the bracelet as well (I know there are a lot of members who prefer the bracelet)

Bracelet detracts from the watch IMO - fairly chunky multilink 'chainmail' style doesn't befit the sleek styling, trying too hard to be a cross between the old 'rice-grain' Monaco bracelet and the new Breitling Blackbird bracelet - just awful. Even the two AD's (2 different countries) I've spoken too about the gen say they agree and of the ones they've sold (and the gen is a good seller), 90% have been on rubber.

Bracelet detracts from the watch IMO - fairly chunky multilink 'chainmail' style doesn't befit the sleek styling, trying too hard to be a cross between the old 'rice-grain' Monaco bracelet and the new Breitling Blackbird bracelet - just awful. Even the two AD's (2 different countries) I've spoken too about the gen say they agree and of the ones they've sold (and the gen is a good seller), 90% have been on rubber.

Salespeople pick up on customer biases and play whatever side sells, and they will always agree with you or make up statistics that sound favorable to convince a customer that they are a "keen observer with superior tastes".

I've been a salesperson many times, and it's all psychology. When you say they agreed with you, then you must have already laid out your preferences. They just played upon it.

Go visit some more AD's and tell them you dislike the rubber and extol the virtues of the bracelet, and they'll sing another tune to you. I guarantee it.

Edited by alanytical

Salespeople pick up on customer biases and play whatever side sells, and they will always agree with you or make up statistics that sound favorable to convince a customer that they are a "keen observer with superior tastes".

I've been a salesperson many times, and it's all psychology. When you say they agreed with you, then you must have already laid out your preferences. They just played upon it.

Go visit some more AD's and tell them you dislike the rubber and extol the virtues of the bracelet, and they'll sing another tune to you. I guarantee it.

Err, thanks for the (slightly patronising if well-meaning) sales psychology there.... :)

Massive hole in your theory is that neither were trying to seriously sell me the watch, as they knew my preference for the Mk I version and that I stated I wasn't in the market for the new version, merely curious. One of the ADs I've known for years now and is so the total antithesis of a salesman (or maybe in that sense he's the best ;)) you could imagine. I often stop by to say hello and just chat what's new. If he tells me this or that isn't selling, I'm 100% inclined to believe him whether that is Panerai, TAG Heuer or Patek. The other AD (in Paris) didn't know me from Adam (except what I did for a living - don't ask how or why) but was equally un-salesperson and although discretely offered me a substantial (and I mean substantial!) discount almost as a quick whisper, was clearly a subscriber to the wisdom that there is little point bullshitting a knowledgeable customer especially over what works and doesn't work, as the discerning ones will return within a week unsatisfied having made a mental note never again to listen the 'advice' of the guy who sold it to them, and take their business elsewhere. One of the things I dislike about buying anything in the US is that hard-sell culture you're alluding to, always looking to make a deal, pouncing on the customer, giving them a line, when sometimes the honest, less in-your-face approach works much better.

Err, thanks for the (slightly patronising if well-meaning) sales psychology there.... :)

Massive hole in your theory is that neither were trying to seriously sell me the watch, as they knew my preference for the Mk I version and that I stated I wasn't in the market for the new version, merely curious. One of the ADs I've known for years now and is so the total antithesis of a salesman (or maybe in that sense he's the best ;)) you could imagine. I often stop by to say hello and just chat what's new. If he tells me this or that isn't selling, I'm 100% inclined to believe him whether that is Panerai, TAG Heuer or Patek. The other AD (in Paris) didn't know me from Adam (except what I did for a living - don't ask how or why) but was equally un-salesperson and although discretely offered me a substantial (and I mean substantial!) discount almost as a quick whisper, was clearly a subscriber to the wisdom that there is little point bullshitting a knowledgeable customer especially over what works and doesn't work, as the discerning ones will return within a week unsatisfied having made a mental note never again to listen the 'advice' of the guy who sold it to them, and take their business elsewhere. One of the things I dislike about buying anything in the US is that hard-sell culture you're alluding to, always looking to make a deal, pouncing on the customer, giving them a line, when sometimes the honest, less in-your-face approach works much better.

Ahh, you have rapport with one I see. So he's chummy and honest then.

But I can tell you that I have never had a salesperson disagree with me, unless of course they like losing the sale and having no food on the table.

But I can tell you that I have never had a salesperson disagree with me, unless of course they like losing the sale and having no food on the table.

Well I have many times. Doesn't [censored] me off either, just an example of each to their own tastes. Doesn't make me question my purchase. I just don't like being humoured for the sake of a sale.

• 1 month later...

I purchased the 2004 version of this watch and although it looked great, the subdials were all off. I exchanged it for an IWC Costeau divers (still had the wrong dials, but it looked much better on me. lol).

Then while I was going around the area, I found this new version and it looked exactly like this one. At 130$, but then that's what the websites are selling theirs for generally and I'd be better off picking something I can see than something posted on a website (although I know the dealers here are reputable, there is customs to deal with potentially).

Unfortunately, as I recently parted with around 100$ for the SLR (now a IWC), a Patek Skeleton, a Hublot Big Bang and a Tag Golf for the lady (the only rep which was good, the Hublot and the Patek weren't although they looked stylish), I'm saving up for the next round. Still thinking about this one, the Grand Calibre RS and the Concord C1, which I saw at the same store. Wicked.

On the subject of dealers, the dealer from where I bought the watches was knowledgeable and didn't [censored] me by saying every watch I looked at fit me perfectly. She also knew which watches were close to the Gen (she told me honestly that at the lower end, I shouldn't be expecting high quality reps). She didn't carry a Hublot so she pointed me to an acquaintance who had it and gave me a lower than usual price for it. And when I told her I found some high quality reps, she promised she'd send me a text message as soon as she got some and give me a special price for it. How's that for service?

Edited by mysterio

Here are some quick pics of mine. I had the rubber strap but switched to the steel bracelet.

slr2.jpg

slr3.jpg

Pros: awesome AR, great crisp dial, nice bezel, well-constructed

Con: movement was 'wonky' when I got it. Stopped for no apparent reason. I had to shake it a few times very hard to get it moving and wore it non-stop for a week (no problems). I stopped wearing it for about 2 weeks and put it on, no problem.

Maybe the movement needed to be worked in a bit??

Jose

For what it's worth, I PM'ed Italiano about his experience and he said the watch wasn't working. He advised me to stay away.

I really, really like the watch, and want one. Just want to make sure that it's not a paperweight.

i have it on a steel bracelet too, but it is either too snug or loose on my 7" wrist, havent worn it because of that, it is a awesome watch though! it has been on my winder for about 2 months or more, and has been keeping perfect time etc.