When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Any thoughts on this 6263 dial and movement?

JoJo35

OK I'll take the plunge. Rep dial I think. The 3 on the hour sub dial seems to be different to the 3 on the minute sub dial. I have not got the expertise to identify weather the movement is gen (ie Rolex issued) but I'm sure the experts will chime in very soon. Lovely watch by the way - Bezel insert seems a bit rough though imho.

I am certainly not one of the more knowledgeable on the Dayton's, but I am going to say it's a fake.

In my opinion there are many parts that just don't look right. The dial looks wrong, the bezel insert looks wrong, and also the bridges look too new and like they have been added, so I say it's all a franken, but a nice one.

Like I said, I am just having some fun here and I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Movement looks pretty damn good to me- 727 under the balance, correct colored gears, correct engraving on the bridges, micro stella balance. The correct balance and gears are tough to come by. Phong sells the engraved bridges but he just about never gets the balance and gears right.

I'd have to look at the Daytona book to comment on the dial, but I agree w/ dieselpowers comments- just doesn't seem up to Rolex quality.

But a good case and movement could still be worth $15-20K- then you'd have to source a better dial- heck, it's only money!

The dial is based on DW's early 6263 just before the silver brushed 6263 arrived. See how DAYTONA is not parallel to the curve of the subdial at the right side? Also the spacing for COSMOGRAPH is too proportional, but it does have the correct capital "A" at the end with the flat top. It was a struggle to get him to do that.

The case is his v72 special without the v2.0 bulge at the crown, and it's his super rare movement with all the fancy bits added and stampings. Even the dial side of the movement will have correct markings if you get it apart that far... check it out. I thought he only made 2 or 3 of them... Nice find!

It's a VERY nice........................ rep.

IMHO...............

The dial is based on DW's early 6263 just before the silver brushed 6263 arrived. See how DAYTONA is not parallel to the curve of the subdial at the right side? Also the spacing for COSMOGRAPH is too proportional, but it does have the correct capital "A" at the end with the flat top. It was a struggle to get him to do that.

The case is his v72 special without the v2.0 bulge at the crown, and it's his super rare movement with all the fancy bits added and stampings. Even the dial side of the movement will have correct markings if you get it apart that far... check it out. I thought he only made 2 or 3 of them... Nice find!

Took the words right out of my mouth. A nice franken-tona indeed.

One additional tip that always IDs non-gen dials - the 3 in the minute totalizer (subdial at 3) is slightly serifed & it has a longer tail than all the other 3s on the dial. The bottom of the three extends slightly beyond the top part of the 3

3daytona.jpg

I have never seen an aftermarker/redial that got that right. Always a dead give-away. If I had the ability to paint well, I would have corrected that on all of my DW dials long, long ago. Then they would fool me.

It's a VERY nice........................ rep.

IMHO...............

According to "Rolex Daytona, a legend is born", the correct movement for the 6241 is either the 722, or the 722-1. This would be 1969. You could probably buy the real watch in those days for $400, now days you can barely buy a bridge for that price to build one!

According to "Rolex Daytona, a legend is born", the correct movement for the 6241 is either the 722, or the 722-1. This would be 1969. You could probably buy the real watch in those days for $400, now days you can barely buy a bridge for that price to build one!

Thanks for looking that up alligoat B)

This has the 727.. I guess I mistakenly called it a 6241. As other members posted earlier, it appears to be an early rendition of the 6263. Please correct me if I've got this wrong.

Thanks again for everyones input. I agree the case is superb, and the movement is outstanding if not genuine. Too bad about the dial imperfections, and the insert appears warped downward at the 3:00 position

ps: a triplock crown on this beast? I would think it should have a twinlock given its age

Triplock is correct, and much of the reason the model never gained much popularity... It's a manual wind movement and people quickly got tired of unscrewing the crown!

So send them all to me and I'll volunteer to do the suffering. :tu:

DW was the one who very quietly introduced GOOD Daytona reps. It's a long story with intrigue, lost gen T39 superdome crystals, a chicken man and MMs.

:ph34r:

DW was the one who very quietly introduced GOOD Daytona reps. It's a long story with intrigue, lost gen T39 superdome crystals, a chicken man and MMs.

:ph34r:

I suppose thats less than I knew before I asked, but it sounds fascinating! :laugh: :whistling:

This has the 727.. I guess I mistakenly called it a 6241. As other members posted earlier, it appears to be an early rendition of the 6263. Please correct me if I've got this wrong.

Yeh, JoJo, Nanuq was right- 6263- screw down pushers, black bezel insert, and 727 would be corrrect. I wasn't paying attention to the case as much as the movement which is still awfully nice for a rep- you'd spend $2500-3500 building that movement- correctly colored gears, microstella balance- that stuff just doesn't fall out of trees.

Yeh, JoJo, Nanuq was right- 6263- screw down pushers, black bezel insert, and 727 would be correct. I wasn't paying attention to the case as much as the movement which is still awfully nice for a rep- you'd spend $2500-3500 building that movement- correctly colored gears, microstella balance- that stuff just doesn't fall out of trees.

Alligoat, thanks for the reply. I'm still wondering though, is there anything that screams rep in the movement, or are we just assuming it's a franken movement that has been painstakingly modified? Is there any chance this could be a gen 727?

Alligoat, thanks for the reply. I'm still wondering though, is there anything that screams rep in the movement, or are we just assuming it's a franken movement that has been painstakingly modified? Is there any chance this could be a gen 727?

Anything is possible. But most likely it is a mod job like Phong (jewelryandwatch) & others offer for between $3,500-$4,500 & some of us have performed on our stock V72s

v72RolexchronobridgefromPhong.jpg

Someone else used the 727 movement- maybe it was Girard Perregeux- heck, I can't even spell it, might have even had the microstella balance. But I'm with Freddy, it's possible, but.... probably unlikely. DW, Phong, the guys over in Saigon- Ho Chi Minh City, they're pretty good. And there are a lot of V72's out there- they've become a hot item- I've got four of them myself!

But it is a damn good looking movement. Certainly better than some of the stuff I see on ebay purporting to be legitimate.