When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

My other obsession

LordRasta

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im a sneaker collector. I have +100 pairs, and many of them still in boxes.

When it comes to fashion shoes, im crazy about dior homme shoes. They are just perfect in styling and details. Just so insanely expensive.

Likewise, I'd also be interested. I have a really hard time finding shoes which fit me properly, so more sources can only be a good thing :) Northampton's one of the best places for obtaining shoes 'from the factories', if I recal :)

I've had my eye on a pair very similar in color... Curious, what color clothes do you wear with these?

I have a pair of AE's Fairfield's in Chestnut...

I wear them with Olive, Tan, and believe it or not - Navy Blue suits...

One of my favorite pairs...

TT

aefairfaxchestnut63039ecu7.jpg

A pair of luxuriant brown/tan shoes or in my case oxblood shoes delightful with a navy suit. One of the few things for which the English can, with all due malice and madness, hold up their heads, is formal dressing, should they so desire. Sadly, we are a limited breed these days. Personally, football shirts and baggy shorts horrify me. But, it's reassuring that some of us remain true to taste and classic style

Alden shoes are great, and so are Carmina, from spain, sold locally here for $300 on sale and the equal of any of my Crockett's or Lobb's, and fairly closse to my cherished pair of Cleverlies. Barker Black's are my absolute favs because they combine hand craftsmanship and traditional styling with a little bit of subversive streak but you have to buy them on ebay because they are obscenely priced at Sak's, which is the only place you can buy them aside from the boutique.

I'm not going to embarrass myself by confessing how many pairs of shoes I have, but it's way too many for any straight guy on the planet. Let's put it this way--I have four pairs of brown wingtips...in burnished alone.

On edit: Sometimes Ralph Lauren Purple label shoes are available @ outlet malls for cheap. They're made, I believe, by both Alden and Crockett & Jones.

Below is my pair of Barker Black Suede/Calf spectators along w/ my franken 03...is the skull & crossbones pattern (BB's trademark) cheesy? Sure, but nobody's noticed it yet and the quality of the shoes is at least as good as any non-bespoke shoe I've ever owned.

post-53-1213591526_thumb.jpg

I have been loyal to Ferragamos ever since my father bought me my first pair ten years ago for my graduation. I tend to favor the loafers with the metallic embellishments on the shoe, as they are easy to put on and comfortable to wear.

I may have rotated ten pairs or so in the last five years and with regular maintenance they look as good as they have when they left the store. Like a watchmaker, a cobbler is someone you would want to grow a relationship with.

Oh, and don't forget that with a nice pair of shoes always accompanies a nice suit. Recently, I have entered "Canali" territory.

Allen-Edmonds, for anyone who doesn't know, sells "slight seconds" direct on Ebay. I bought a pair this way at a substantial savings (40% off retail), and I'll be damned if I can figure out what's not right about them.

B)

I have a pair of AE's Fairfield's in Chestnut...

I wear them with Olive, Tan, and believe it or not - Navy Blue suits...

One of my favorite pairs...

TT

aefairfaxchestnut63039ecu7.jpg

Very nice, TT... I'm liking the Evanston in "Walnut" :

ALL_m_EVANSTON.jpg

And the Hale in "Chestnut" :

allen193891_73371_jb1.jpg

Already have the Soho, but in black... Would it be a crime to buy a second pair in Cognac:

allen244761_137728_jb.jpg

Funny how it is.

I do not work or live in a corporate atmosphere. Far from it.

But I love beautiful shoes about as much as watches.

Problem is when can I ever wear them?

I have shoes that are 30 (+) years old that for all intents and purposes are brand new.

I got married 24 years ago and I still have the Cole-Hann - brown and white spectator slip ons that I wore at my wedding. I have worn them maybe three times since.

Santoni slip on tassle loafers. Sooo beautiful.

Donald Pliner boots. Drivers.

Prada black leather lace ups. Ahhh.

But best of the lot...25 year old Larry Mehan Black Lizard Cowboy boots. Dress only. I have worn them one million times, never had to resole them.

Now that is a boot.

Were talkin Quality...not quantity. A familiar concept?