When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

new iPhone and RWG

Chronus

How good is the new iPhone for browsing sites, eg. RWG? (tenuous link ;) )

Also how well does it handle emails? Can it handle "push" email? Is typing difficult or slow on a touch screen?

Is a blackberry a better option for browsing and emailing?

I maybe able to get one of these for free on contract. My main criteria is the mail and web browsing handling.

Thanks.

Edited by Chronus

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never had a blackberry, but I'm a pretty fast typer on the iPhone.

And yes, it can do PushMail, since its got ActiveSync. You can also zoom in and out of eMails, so you wont have issues such as the text being too small to read.

You can use the iPhone browser just like a PC browser, it has the real internet, you can zoom in and out, it shows the sites just as your pc would do. The only thing that it currently cant do is display flash, but thats also not possible with a blackberry IIRC. I do not think there is ANY phone that has even comparable browsing capabilities as the iPhone has.

Just to prove it works I am posting this from mine now. If I were you I'd make sure you get the new one with 3g and gps.

GPS is not a problem, I already have the N82 which does everything well. Even internet is good but i dont have the bundled data charges on there so only use it at home on wifi. Perhaps i should try accessing emails and internet on there more, as i already use it for msn when at home... but the keypad obviously isnt as good as a blackberry.

i'm really interested to see how internet works on the iphone though, and of course it has a bigger screen.

Just to prove it works I am posting this from mine now. If I were you I'd make sure you get the new one with 3g and gps.

How is the typing from the touchscreen?

Is it faster than a regular keypad or blackberry? My brother loves his blackberry and says it's great for emails, but as it's no 3G it is slower for internet and he just gets RSS feeds.

Blackberry 8800 vs iPhone vs HTC TyTN ii vs Nokia E61

0 unbearable - 5 superb

[iPhone comments]

Internet on WiFi

0, 5+, 3, 3 [best internet experience on a small device]

Internet on Broadband

3(mini Opera), 3, 3, 3 [internet is good, but speed is bad]

Email

5+, 3, 4, 5 [emails display correctly, but no real push solution. reliability issues]

User interface

4, 5, 2, 4 [intuitive and responsive]

Battery (YMMV)

5+, 2, 2, 5 [if you use it at its full spectrum (ipod-phone-browser) be prepared to carry the cable/charger with you]

Charger

4, 1, 4, 1 [i hate the fact that it can't charge from a standard mini Usb...combined with the above you might end up with double chargers]

Voice

3, 2, 5, 5 [some lost calls, sound is not perfect, and going through a menu to end a call is kind of lame]

external Leds

5, 0, 2, 3 [with a power hungry screen, a small led blinking for a missed call or new email would be a saver]

Bluetooth

2, 2, 5, 5 [only for handsfree operation]

Ringer/vibration

5, 1, 3, 5 [vibration is weak, and the ringtones are so-so]

-wow- facrtor

1, 5, 2, 0 [well, you will not be the early adopter, but it still is the second way to show off your watches to your buddies (next to wearing them) ]

Mp3/podcast

2, 5, 1, 1 [perfect mp3 player, very good for video too.. you'll have to buy a set of decent iphone compatible earphones]

Aplications

3, 5(jailbroken), 2, 2 [you name it, there is an application for it, and for free..even a drum emulator :p ]

Navigator/Maps

4, 3, 5, 2 [google maps assisted by the touchscreen and responsive OS makes it a great hyper-map. NoGPS is a minus]

Keyboard

5, 0, 5, 4 [i challenge anyone who tells that the iPhone keyboard is perfect, to a duel with me typing on my HTC or the BB to keep the keyboard size the same]

I have all these phones currently and my weapon of choice is the BB8800. I pickup the iPhone as a second phone whenever I travel (and that is frequently). There is noway that I would rely on it as a business phone. The Nokia is a good compromise, but I am waiting for the E71 to be released ;) Same goes for the BB Bold& iPhone 3G. Bring them on. As for the HTC, it is collecting dust after it failed to impress me: last time I used a WM phone was 3 years ago, and it looks like the WM hasn't made a single step forward since then. Note to Balmer: fire them all.

How is the typing from the touchscreen?

Is it faster than a regular keypad or blackberry? My brother loves his blackberry and says it's great for emails, but as it's no 3G it is slower for internet and he just gets RSS feeds.

much faster than typing with the numbers, but probably not as fast as typing with a FULL blackberry keyboard, but almost as fast, if you work with it for a while!

All your iphones are so good because EU members have superior WIFI over your counterparts.. :rolleyes: ... I have a Blackberry only because were I to get an iphone it would be slower than dial up here... the 2nd generation has just been released here.. and it's going on special for 199.00 usd.. pretty good.. but unless the providers have upgraded their services .. it's all for not...

but I'm happy with my BB.. but an iphone would be wicked COOL !!!! <_<

How good is the new iPhone for browsing sites, eg. RWG? (tenuous link ;) )

Also how well does it handle emails? Can it handle "push" email? Is typing difficult or slow on a touch screen?

Is a blackberry a better option for browsing and emailing?

I maybe able to get one of these for free on contract. My main criteria is the mail and web browsing handling.

Thanks.

iPhone: Best web experience of all the phone options. Mail? Apart from the lack of Push (unless you use Yahoo), it's the best mailer out there too. v2.0 of the iPhone software brings Push with Exchange's ActiveSync.

The typing is a red herring. I'm faster on an iPhone than I was on T9 and I'm about the same as I was on a Blackberry. Oh, I'm faster than I was on a Blackberry Pearl.

However, the typing wins when you change keyboards to foreign layouts. Try that with a fixed keyboard.

o2 in the UK will have the new one from July and I'll be able to get it as a freebie as long as I sign up to a contract... I'm really considering that or the blackberry though. I guess I have to decide, internet browsing or emailing..... or wait and see the reviews?

Everyone's input is always welcome as ever.

I expect RWG would look best on the iPhone, what with the bigger screen.

Speaking of touchphones, how does the LG Viewty compare? That one looked as good (if not better) than the iPhone to me.

A few other iphone related questions:

-can you remove the battery and replace it with a 2nd fully charged one?

-can you use hot-swappable memory cards (I love that on the n82, I have 2x8gb microSDHC cards)and what kind of cards?

-do standard headphones with a 3.5mm jack work?

Is it faster than a regular keypad or blackberry?

I also have a Blackberry Pearl for work and I can type much faster on the iPhone, the thing is the iPhone changes the size of the keys (not visibly) when it guesses what words you are typing as you go - very cool.

My first generation iPhone is almost perfect- the new one is scary close.

Indeed, I'll be upgrading my 1st generation when the 2nd one is released here early next month. Large capacity (going to get the bigger one), 3G and GPS on top of what is already an excellent device is definitely a winner.

I have the option of a free 3G iPhone or a blackberry (pity that's not 3G)... such a tough decision as both have pluses and minuses.

there is going to be a new 3g blackberry.....

Any ideas when?

Email attracts me to Blackberry, while browsing attracts me to iPhone.

My N82 already does pictures with xenon flash (5MP), youtube, Yahoo/MSN Messenger, GPS, movies etc so that is the main consideration with those 2.

Maybe I should just get one of the fold out bluetooth keyboards and use the TV Out ;)

Any ideas when?

Email attracts me to Blackberry, while browsing attracts me to iPhone.

My N82 already does pictures with xenon flash (5MP), youtube, Yahoo/MSN Messenger, GPS, movies etc so that is the main consideration with those 2.

Maybe I should just get one of the fold out bluetooth keyboards and use the TV Out ;)

Check this site out: http://www.blackberry.com/blackberrybold/

I think its coming in August.

Its got everything, 3G, GPS, HSDPA, High Res. Display (480 x 320), trackball for better handling, 13days of standby and 5h of talking and i think you can swap the battery.

Definitely more a business phone than the iPhone. iPhone is more a toy than for professional business use (even with active synch).

But surfing will probably be not as good as with the iPhone (at least I cant imagine).

Cameras probably suck on both iPhone (that I do know from personal experience) and the blackberry.

To all the haters out there: YES, I do have an iPhone myself, but I'm not an exec and I dont need to check my eMails every 2 seconds, if I was I would prefer a Blackberry - B)

Edited by slay

Took Jonathan's advice and found this preview for the new 3G iPhone. 16gb sounds good too.

I'm interested in seeing the new 3G Blackberyy too though. The current Pearl has GPS, Wifi, and hot-swappable memory cards... add in 3G and that could do all that I want, while having good battery power.

And for those with the N82 or the old-school N95, looks like 16gb micro SDHC cards are out (can't get the link, my other windows are playing up on this PC!)