When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Before there was a 1675

freddy333

And here is a fine example of the original 1030-powered 6542 GMT-Master with Perspex (transparent acrylic plastic) bezel

earlygmt.jpg

(Pic 'borrowed' from a popular vintage gen site)

Perspex was originally specified by Rolex for this watch because of its inherent anti-reflective properties. Unfortunately, it also proved to be highly prone to cracking, so relatively few have remained intact to the present day. These original inserts were also rather infamous because a production 'mistake' led to some of the tritium paint used to illuminate the insert being contaminated with Strontium 90 (a radioactive material) & Rolex had to inspect and then reassure many anxious owners that their watch was 'safe'.

And the movement remains a mystery worthy of beers and a GTG. Is it a 1030, or 1035, or 1066?

Nice writeup! When was the first "Bakelite" insert introduced?

And the movement remains a mystery worthy of beers and a GTG. Is it a 1030, or 1035, or 1066?

Nice writeup! When was the first "Bakelite" insert introduced?

Bakelite was used extensively throughout the 1940s on all sorts of things, so I would assume it appeared in watches prior to the calibre 1030-powered 6542, which I believe debuted in 1954-5.

wow -- very interesting post :victory: so did the numbers on the bezel insert glow in the dark? :g:

deltatahoe

@DTH No... but the wearer's forearm did! I used to worry about sleeping with my 6536 on, as it has the tritium dial... and I sleep with my wrist under my head. Maybe THAT explains my weirdness?

@Freddy You know you've just burst my bubble of ever owning a 6542. I wanted one because it's my birth year watch. I guess I'll just have to suffer with my 6536, which was born (about) the same month and year as I.

These original inserts were also rather infamous because a production 'mistake' led to some of the tritium paint used to illuminate the insert being contaminated with Strontium 90 (a radioactive material) & Rolex had to inspect and then reassure many anxious owners that their watch was 'safe'.

Yep. I've read about it.

And that's why the following new GMT's came with this certificate:

gmt-cert.jpg

I know the answer(s) ;)

PS. It's nice to see u guys :D

So do I (at least I think :unsure:)

Likewise Euno - wonder what happened to the vintage subforum idea? Time to lobby perhaps ;)

Ah the 6542 - another of my 'special' projects - bits galore (smal GMT hand, choice of gilt or Pan Am dial, even have the roulette DW) but keeping my eye out for a c.10XX ;) movt.

Recall Saabin had all but built one using MY parts on a heavily machined case - the photos looked great, about a year ago now maybe?