When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMTII Ceramic Mag AR

lanikai

Great news from the House of AR..

Chief say's he can do the GMTII Ceramic Mag AR.. with his "next" AR run

Now the challenge for me is not taking off the mag.. but what adhesive to use putting it back.. problems with bubbles (if that is an issue) do you need to reheat it after applying the mag back on ??

in other words anyone other than Ziggy know how to reinstall the mag ??

Ubi.. explained briefly how to take it off.. not a huge concern.. it's getting it back on..

so I would like to "practice with some other crystal .. any thoughts????

Chief... U DA MAN !!!! :1a:

I had to do this when I was moddding my lv a few years ago and used glue that was pretty much designed for it. I cant remember the brand name but it would set when exposed to UV.

Pretty easy to use as long as you dont do it outside at midday :D I will have a look for in in my parts box tonight but should be able to get it from ofrei or cousins.

i would just get the whole crystal done :)

everyone would think your watch was gen for sure because everyone elses would have HUGE amounts of glare coming off their crystals in comparison haha.

glueing the cyclops on is easy. You just need UV crystal cement.

I just got the GMT II ceramic lalalla .. and I dont like it at all. Well I never liked rolexes not even the gens. It all look "fake" as they lack AR ;) haha.

I hope Jakub can work his magic on my crystal+cyclop cant stand it with all the glare ;)

Use Crystal Clear by Duro. Apply it to the mag, set it into place just right, remove excess with acetone (being careful to get none on the AR), then expose to UV. The glue hardens upon exposure to UV. $5 for the Duro and $35 for the UV lamp. Sunlight might work too. I'm not 100% sure.

thanks CT... i'll get some ordered so I can "practice" .. shoot .. with the ozone the way it is .. i think Hawaii may have plenty of UV.. I'll try natural sunlight first.. that's cool then you have time to play with sjusting the mag before putting it to UV to bond.. cool B)

so the geniue has AR on the date window? I've tried searching on the forum but i don't see any how or instructions in regards to removing the date window. Can someone point me the way?

You need to remove the crystal .. and heat the mag ... melting the glue.. UBI say's he uses needle nose pliers to hold the crystal.. (ones with smooth needles).. and holds it over the heating element on his stove... and you can see the glue melt and then the rest should be common sense I think..

I think I will try mine with steam as I have an electric stove.. I have a mini torch for my cigars but that is kind of intense and I think I can control the heat to the crystal better with steam.... I think I'll get one of those little screen baskets with handle and put the crystal in that so if the mag slides off it will be safely in the colander..

Guest carlsbadrolex

This is AWSOME news Lani! I will keep my eyes open as to when this net run occurs. I am going to order a replacement crystal for a sub. I think that the height of this cyclops is too high on the GMT IIc replica. When comparing it to the gen this past weekend, that was a definite observation by everyone. I think the sub one would be much closer.

This is AWSOME news Lani! I will keep my eyes open as to when this net run occurs. I am going to order a replacement crystal for a sub. I think that the height of this cyclops is too high on the GMT IIc replica. When comparing it to the gen this past weekend, that was a definite observation by everyone. I think the sub one would be much closer.

We're on the same page then T.. I'm going to remove one from a sub that has too many flaws.. bought 2 years ago but the mag is spot on..

I saw on the bay a while ago genuine mags... lets network... if anyone sees these.. they were being sold in bunches.. and they are genuine ....pick them up and I'll do the same if I come across them then we can split them amongst ourselves..

I'm obviously behind the times here, but which part of the gen exactly is AR coated?

Yes - only the loupe, that is the most noticable difference to the rep. On the gen it almost looks like a hole in the crystal to look through to the date.

Is it not possible to buy the gen crystal with AR'ed loupe and install that?

where are you going to get it... and it may not fit.. this is much easier and your assured of the proper fit to the rep case.. I'm sure we can get a step by step on ... how to.. before Chiefs next run... the saving grace is the adhesive .. it does not bond the 2 units (mag to crystal) until exposed to UV light.. so my concern was .. man you have to be spot on in applying the mag back to the crystal ... but not so..

Kudos to Chief .. at first everyone said .. ahhh I can live with the lack of AR on the mag that the genuine has... didn't take long huh :rolleyes:

edit to add ... going to remove the mag from a couple of subs today.. bought a small scoop with the mash wire and handle.. I'll put the crystal in it then put it over a tea kettle whist the stem is whistling from the spout.. (steam is really hot) so if and when the mags slides of the crystal it will be all good in the hood .... so to speak ... it will already be in the mesh scoop.. :D

then I'll order the adhesive .. hopefully from Ofrei.. then practice ... gotta do a test run or 2 .. I'll try and get a pictorial posted .. we have time so this will be a learning exp. for me as well ..

Just a thought.

If the cyclopse is in perfect position now, why not mask off the outline of it with tape or something like that. Remove the cyclopse with the tape in place of where it needs to go back. If it would work that way it would make putting it back on a no brainer and would also keep you from haing to use Acetone to clean up any excess glue.

Might not work as easy as it sounds but Lani if you are going to experiment anyways it might be worth a try.

Just a thought.

If the cyclopse is in perfect position now, why not mask off the outline of it with tape or something like that. Remove the cyclopse with the tape in place of where it needs to go back. If it would work that way it would make putting it back on a no brainer and would also keep you from haing to use Acetone to clean up any excess glue.

Might not work as easy as it sounds but Lani if you are going to experiment anyways it might be worth a try.

if you think about the dynamics of a circle as long as you turn the circle the horizontal lines will end up even.. given you don't really mess up .. I thought of masking "before putting it on .. try and vision what i stated about the adhesive.. you have time to work with it.. it is not super glue.. it "bonds" with UV light .. so as long as you are not working in sunlight .. you have time to move it a little.. like hanging a picture.. edit to add: or you could use a single edge razor blade to clean up any residue..

have you ever seen mags that look a little tilted left or right.. all you have to do is reset the crystal ..not the mag.. in other words turn the crystal clockise or counter clockwise... :rolleyes:

you are inevitably going to use acetone to clean it up a little.. nail polish remover is all it is.. and I've used it to clean up whist swapping bezel inserts.. that's what Q-tips are for... :rolleyes:

gotta learn .. and if it takes mistakes to learn .. then that's why I say "practice" ... dry run before I get the AR'd mag ...

I had to do this when I was moddding my lv a few years ago and used glue that was pretty much designed for it. I cant remember the brand name but it would set when exposed to UV.

Pretty easy to use as long as you dont do it outside at midday :D I will have a look for in in my parts box tonight but should be able to get it from ofrei or cousins.

thankyou Bazz

Yes - only the loupe, that is the most noticable difference to the rep. On the gen it almost looks like a hole in the crystal to look through to the date.

Neat. Well luckily I paid for the manufacture of custom fixtures for AR coating lenses in the 5-7mm range as part of the PAM cyclops project. So, they'll be reusable to coat lanikai's Rollie loupe. :)

This may be a stupid question but what happens if you put the AR on the outside of the cyclops? Besides the AR rubbing off, what other problems would there be?

It will go on the outside of the cyclops. The cyclops will be coated on the domed side, and uncoated on the flat side. This AR doesn't "rub off". ;)

-Chief

It will go on the outside of the cyclops. The cyclops will be coated on the domed side, and uncoated on the flat side. This AR doesn't "rub off". ;)

-Chief

The next obvious question has to be -- If you are coating the cyclops on the curved/outside, why go through all the effort (and risk) to remove the cyclops from the crystal?

The next obvious question has to be -- If you are coating the cyclops on the curved/outside, why go through all the effort (and risk) to remove the cyclops from the crystal?

Well two things:

(1) Apparently only the cyclops is coated on the gen, not the entire crystal. So it needs to be coated alone.

(2) Glue (i.e. crystal cement) melts at the temps in the AR chamber.

The risk is pretty low. Just talk to the PAM folks about how many times they've swapped around magnifiers.