When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

why not a genuine watch section?

t

Actually it didn't even cross my mind that members would like to discuss brands like Seiko, Invicta, Citizen and Alpha there. Cheap brands that we don't have replicas of. Hmm... maybe I'm wrong and there's a demand for that here, but I doubt it. :)

Guys, we'll discuss this in the admin room.

PS: Believe me, we'd love to do anything that pleases our great members. But one of the best things in RWG is the brand specific subforums. We're quite proud of it, and how well everything is seachable and organized. We don't want to mess up with that, and that's what "duplicates" could do. But perhaps it wouldn't be as big problem as I originally thought.

this is what i mean

a forum where we could discuss also brands like Seiko, Steinhart, Invicta, Doxa, Enzo Mechana and some other genuine watches under $2.000. I know we have a "other brands" section... but this is full of other rep brands (Frank Muller, Vacheron, Patek, Hublot) and i don

I will not miss this board as in I do not want to skip reading this board because I like it even though I don't have reps...

The man is in the process of bringing us PAM crowns there Carl.

brother... please keep in mind that i don

Actually it didn't even cross my mind that members would like to discuss brands like Seiko, Invicta, Citizen and Alpha there. Cheap brands that we don't have replicas of. Hmm... maybe I'm wrong and there's a demand for that here, but I doubt it. :)

Isn't that what "Other Brands" is for?

We already have gen discussions here in the brand forums. You only have to look in the wristcheck threads to see how many gen owners we have here. On a rep board we can have this mix of gen and rep conversations but it is not something to be tried on the gen boards. Personally I don't read TZ anymore because the software is bloody awful.

Personally I don't read TZ anymore because the software is bloody awful.

Yeah, someone needs to tell the forum admin the 20th century ended over seven years ago.

"Hello, that was the last millennium on the phone. They want their software back."

I like the easy to use forums and the good sense of community here.

I would like a seperate Gen section, posting pics and discussions of gen watches without having to go through the other watches section or specific brand forums which could be a mixture of both. I think it would benefit RWG a good deal.

Isn't that what "Other Brands" is for?

Actually PW, I don't know that it is!

Not something that has ever been discussed to my knowledge, and I have always taken it to be "other brands repped"

Certainly it would not be where I would go to discuss a gen.... but that's just me!

OT, how are you going mate, long time no speak.

Offshore

Guys, I feel that some hard-blooded reactions here has been triggered just by a mispell in t's sentence "I will not miss this board". It happened because "to miss", in German like in Italian language, is often used differently than in English.

I can assure you that what t was actually meaning was something like "I will not miss to frequent this board".

It's out of doubt that t likes watches, and it's also evident that he likes projects even more. Projects that are part of the rep game, not of the gen game.

This by t clearly is an intellectual interest, not an economical interest. You can be sure about it.

And this sort of interests makes great benefit to all us rep lovers.

What I am trying to say is please don't misunderstand t's post. He already proved beyond any doubts he is a friend here. A rep-friendly friend. Didn't he?

That said, I personally do not feel the need for a gen section. The web already has plenty of them. People come here because this is a rep forum.

That said, I personally do not feel the need for a gen section. The web already has plenty of them. People come here because this is a rep forum.

I would say people come here beacuse they love watches both reps and gens. Never found a gen forum as good as this and one Id want to contribute to.

Actually PW, I don't know that it is!

Not something that has ever been discussed to my knowledge, and I have always taken it to be "other brands repped"

Certainly it would not be where I would go to discuss a gen.... but that's just me!

In that case, maybe we need a gen section. I'd not go to somewhere like TZ or WUS to hunt down a Spring Drive Diver (ps. yes, I need a Marine Master 600 ...) as I've got too many friends here whose opinions I'd trust above any number of strangers.

OT, how are you going mate, long time no speak.

I've been neglecting the forums recently due to life and work getting in the way. :)

I would say people come here beacuse they love watches both reps and gens. Never found a gen forum as good as this and one Id want to contribute to.

I agree, no doubt that people here love watches both reps and gens.

And I doubly agree, no gen forum as good as this.

But... what I was actually meaning is that when people come here for the first time they are hunting for reps, or info about reps.

I doubt that mixing both reps and gens in search results will be useful. Or we should have a search option "search in all sections but the gen".

"But i will not miss this board... "

And we will not miss you either. Goodby!

Carl

What he wrote is a non sequitur. I think he just screwed up the English.. because he states he "won't miss the board" but then he writes about all the friends he made here etc...

I would love a gen section here. I don't really mod and I sold off half of my reps and own a bunch of cool, cheap gens. This is my watch group and board, not anywhere else. This is where I get info and spend my time. I would prefer not to have to change boards as my interest shifts. I want to keep one foot in each world and would prefer to do it under one roof. There is no harm in testing the waters. Put it in and see what happens.

I arrived here with hundreds of Gens and no reps. Down to a couple dozen Gens and up to 1.5 Reps and hundreds of new family members...

Some of those Gens are amongst the new family now, vintage and sold, or new and given away, it's all about sharing what we all love and what makes us who we are.

Maybe we can just consider the forum mixed for purposes of brand, and add other lower cost brands as their own categories in a similar manner to what is already here...

Rolex is already Gen and Rep discussion as are the rest... why not add, when popularly required, new categories such as Invicta, or Doxa, or Seiko... and I am sure the members will keep doing as they have been... talking about the Gens... talking about how to use this and that as a Rep... and how cool the Monsters are compared to plain old subs, how O&W and Doxa are looking like decent deals again, how much the Cordubas look like B&R's, the Makos look like Subs and how the Ocean Ghosts are a nice homage to the Blancpain Fifty Fathoms Trinities... etc...

What he wrote is a non sequitur. I think he just screwed up the English.. because he states he "won't miss the board" but then he writes about all the friends he made here etc...

That's EXACTLY what happened. Reading those words in context makes that clear. Reading those words looking for an excuse to flame him - well, that yields an excuse to flame him. Whether you favor a gen forum or not, the original post is pretty innocuous and not deserving of the treatment it received by some.

As to the original question - I am indifferent. If it would really be used and not be dead space, I would have no objection. But I fear it would be dead weight as By-Tor has suggested might be the case. There does seem to be some interest - the only question is there enough?