When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can someone please authenticate this mid 80's 5513??

briank996

Bought this from a brick and mortar with a good reputation. I recently took it to an AD to ask for an endlink and was supprised when they said that "they dont deal with fake watches" and handed it back. The first thing the woman said was that the crystal shouldn't be domed poly, WTF it's a 5513?? Then she commented that the case back didn't look right. After the crystal conversation, I would have written it off as her not knowing what the hell she was talking about, but looking at the spin pattern on the caseback it makes me wonder. All other 5513 pics I can find have had polished case backs. What do you all think? Have a look...

4655-6512.jpg

4655-6513.jpg

4655-6514.jpg

4655-6515.jpg

4655-6516.jpg

4655-6517.jpg

4655-6518.jpg

4655-6519.jpg

Looks good to me (cgs, crown, bezel insert, lug holes, spring bars all look genuine) but I'm no expert. The only question I have is the "Swiss" on the dial. Is that right for the mid 80s?

No, but I was told up front that it is a 'new' replacement from rolex which would make it correct in that aspect. It is just the 'lathed' look to the case back that has me worried. Come to think of it, I have never seen a rep sub with a pattern like that.

Interesting case back- I've never seen one like that- even on a rep.

Of course the acid test is to take the case back off and check out the movt. That will tell you what you really have. You might go to a regular watchmaker and have him take the back off- it shouldn't be to expensive- $15-25 max- it's simple if you have the proper case back tool- which all watchmakers should. I paid $35 for a Bergeon set of rolex caseback openers and it's a must have if you're going to fool around w/ Rolexes or Rollie reps.

Looks like genuine to me. The case looks good. Perhaps the watch came with replacement dial?

It's kinda strange to see non-painted hour markers with vintage pearl. ;)

I posted this reply on TRC. Nobody has responded to my post... So maybe it'll be helpful if I post it here.

As a proud owner of a 5513... Here are my comments:

The dial is a service replacement. I am unfamiliar with the white gold surrounds style of dial. My 5513 is a vintage 60s model with a matte dial. I cannot discern its authenticity.

The rest of the watch looks brand new. My caseback is the same shape, but it does not have the polish scheme yours has (because mine is 40 years old). The underside of your lugs are brushed, etc... All this 'perfect' polish means to me that it must've been a NOS watch - or freshly polished. The bracelet looks brand new, too.

To kinda sum it up, maybe the odd caseback polish scheme means that sombody went to town on refinishing the case. They went overboard and refinished the watch beyond facory specs.

So, could be real but suffered a polish job by a crazy man. Crack open the caseback, you should see a gleaming 1520 movement. It should look new if the case is so new looking. Record the inner caseback numbers (example: III 82, meaning 3rd quarter 1982). Also check for AD service marks in the inner caseback. Then record the serial number between the lug. Look it up online to get the approximate date of manufacture. It should be a close match to the inner caseback marking. It doesn't have to be an exact year match, but it should be very close.

If you did get it from a reputable source, then you could get yer money back if you do find it to be fake.

Check all the info that I posted here. You will then know.

Cheers

if i spend alot of money on a genuine rolex, and i was told by my authorised dealer that it wasnt genuine, I WOULD GO TO THE NEAREST WATCHMAKER TO EXAMINE THE MOVEMENT.

HOW HAS THIS NOT BECOME A FIRST PRIORITY TO BRIANK996?

instead he's pondering about it and asking questions on the internet...hoping to find accurate answers from pictures given to us.....

unbelievable....

if i spend alot of money on a genuine rolex, and i was told by my authorised dealer that it wasnt genuine, I WOULD GO TO THE NEAREST WATCHMAKER TO EXAMINE THE MOVEMENT.

HOW HAS THIS NOT BECOME A FIRST PRIORITY TO BRIANK996?

instead he's pondering about it and asking questions on the internet...hoping to find accurate answers from pictures given to us.....

unbelievable....

Sorry dude.. not pondering anymore, it is a gen ubiquitous hit the nail on the head. I don't know how he knew but all of that stuff had been replaced. The only thing I was unsure about was the case back, which is a gen which had engraving removed. Thanks very much to everyone who responded, I was reading your replies as they were posted but didn't really have any new information until today (Monday) thanks again y'all

Took it back to the store and had them open it up today, the movement is deffinatly real... The only thing in my mind that was in question was the case back. After arguing with the women at the AD that a 5513 SHOULD have a plastic crystal, she then went on a tangent about how the caseback should be shaped like he DJ from the same era. This is obviously wrong but it did get me looking at other case back pics, when I noticed the difference in finish.

I didn't go back to the AD, I went back to the store I bought it from. The women at the AD was a real [censored] from the begining. Basically not even looking at the watch before handing it back and calling it a fake. How embarassing!! Anyway all she really acomplished was loosing a future customer. Really, after she looked up in her book that a 5513 should be plastic, I think it was all about saving face.

Just like I had thought/posted.

Enjoy.

Too bad RSC no longer have 5513 matte dials. That would be a killer upgrade for yours.

No doubt!! Thanks for your help as well Eunomians. I still find it funny that the people who know most about the gens hang out at a rep website.

No doubt!! Thanks for your help as well Eunomians. I still find it funny that the people who know most about the gens hang out at a rep website.

This is very true. I am not a rollie guy but there are many people here who know more then the Gen guys. I am more up on panerai. I would want to take the watch back to that [censored] and have then open it up to show here it is real - then I would tell her to suck it and leave.

Question for rollie guys - what year would this watch be?