When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIC - Asian IHS or WHS...whatever!

hiker01

Ok, I searched and can't find anyone posting this flaw or problem, so here goes:

Got mine arrived last night. Very excited....opened the box, unwrapped the plastics ( 3 or 4 layers????), and there it was. Handsome looking guy!

Unscrewed the crown and wound it 40 turns, second hand didn't move.....oh-oh! Shook it a little bit....nada! Bang it with the palm of my hand......

Viola.....it moved! So I adjusted the time and date and set the GMT to Asian or Hong Kong time! that work flawlessly! When I screw it back, it was

very rough, so I took out the grease and greased the tube and gasket and the inside of the crown....that help make it smoother!

I adjusted the bracelet and took out some links. End link on the buckle, flip lock side was stripped...planning to Loctite........

Anyways, I put it on......felt good! Went out and work in the yard for an hour or so, got back inside the house to wash my hands (a little muddy)...

and decided to wash and rinse the watch (hey, the watch is guaranted up to 100M or 10 ATM) , just in case some mud or dirt got on the bracelet a

nd case and bezel.....wiped my hands and took off the watch to wipe it dry..............my heart just stopped for a millisecond! Palpitation started....

my eyesight got cloudy! OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nooooooooooooooo! This is what I saw:

gmtiic15after800di0.jpg

gmtiic5after800ts2.jpg

Cloud of fog or moisture inside!!!!!! I wipe it some more and it seemed to go away a little bit:

gmtiic1aftera800ek5.jpg

So, I said, what the heck......lets dunk it in the cup full of water (hey, the watch is guaranted up to 100M or 10 ATM), let's see what happen's,

and here it is:

gmtiic5after800ts2.jpg

and 5 minutes later:

gmtiic10after800bf8.jpg

Man.....talk about being disappointed.......I felt like I was making out with Scarlett Johansson and just when.....you know.......I woke up! Damn!

Double damn!

So I checked the crown - looks good, the caseback - that looks good.......and then I remembered someone posted in one of the threads here

about an uneven or slanted crystall/sapphire......., so I checked......and, YUP......at 3 o'clock, where the date mag is, I measured 1mm higher

at this side compared to the 9 o'clock side......

gmtiicrystal800qp3.jpg

Best I can do! So, folks? Could this be the cause?????

Anyway, the watch is going back to China and teh dealer have been alerted and warned of this potential ticking time bomb ready to explode!

=@ If I were you I will check!

....and goodluck!

Damn, I was ready to show it off during our family picnic this Friday! Double damn!!!!! :nea:

I hear you, that sucks man...

"the watch is guaranted up to 100M or 10 ATM"

Yeah! sure, even at 10cm of water it leaks like a zodiac with a bunch of hole like a strainer. Now we really can say there's NO QC at all on these rep watch.

Best bet will be send it to a local watchsmith for a water resisance test to at least 100M..another $50-$75 :angry:

That sucks Hike. Not the first post on the forums about an uneven crystal on these. I'm sure your dealer will get you squared away with a replacement and all but it sucks that you're going to have wait while it gets sent back and repaired/replaced. A little QC would have prevented it.

I hear you, that sucks man...

"the watch is guaranted up to 100M or 10 ATM"

Yeah! sure, even at 10cm of water it leaks like a zodiac with a bunch of hole like a strainer. Now we really can say there's NO QC at all on these rep watch.

Best bet will be send it to a local watchsmith for a water resisance test to at least 100M..another $50-$75 :angry:

@Mag...you gotta edit your post and delete the pictures on your qoute! - thanks brah! That makes it faster and shorter!

That sucks Hike. Not the first post on the forums about an uneven crystal on these. I'm sure your dealer will get you squared away with a replacement and all but it sucks that you're going to have wait while it gets sent back and repaired/replaced. A little QC would have prevented it.

@TA8088, No problem on the dealer side! It's going back and he's sending a QC'ed replacement! He's going to cross ship it so hopefully I'll have it next week! but the excitement is gone!

I have always been told to hold reps away from water.

But if the have garante this to be waterprof then this is bad stuff man..

D

@Dani, That's not true! I wear all my watches in the water, except the chronos! If not's not guaranted, first thing I do is open it up and apply grease on all the rubber gaskets and the crown. If it doesn't have a gasket, I put a new one in and grease that , too! I use to order them with water proofing, but now I've been doing them myself. Those that are guaranted, I don't touch; i.e. SFSO, SSD, and this GMT IIC!

Could be the crystal was not pressed down enough or the gasket is pinched/folded around it . The only areas it could leak, crown, crystal, and caseback.

Sorry bro, that sucks for you.

Hi Lance! I think it's the crystal! Something is wrong with it! And I think your suspicion is right "Could be the crystal was not pressed down enough or the gasket is pinched/folded around it ".

@Dani, That's not true! I wear all my watches in the water, except the chronos! If not's not guaranted, first thing I do is open it up and apply grease on all the rubber gaskets and the crown. If it doesn't have a gasket, I put a new one in and grease that , too! I use to order them with water proofing, but now I've been doing them myself. Those that are guaranted, I don't touch; i.e. SFSO, SSD, and this GMT IIC!

Ok bro, that sucks to have it go all cloudy inside the crystal.

But good thing you warn others of this problem.

Thanks,

Dani

Well I posted on that crystal alignment issue last night.

Whilst I have sympathy, I think you've been a little naiive trusting in dealer claims of water resistance - only as good as the weakest link, and I think you were a bit gung ho submerging it in water, without performing a vacuum/negative pressure WR test first. Entire reason for doing that is to identify problems with seals without exposing the watch to any damage. Too late for that now in your case.

Well I posted on that crystal alignment issue last night.

Whilst I have sympathy, I think you've been a little naiive trusting in dealer claims of water resistance - only as good as the weakest link, and I think you were a bit gung ho submerging it in water, without performing a vacuum/negative pressure WR test first. Entire reason for doing that is to identify problems with seals without exposing the watch to any damage. Too late for that now in your case.

Hey Doc! Yeah! Your right, I am naive when it comes to my dealer claims, but I have to put my trust on him! He's always been good to me and there when I need him.......jeeeeze,

sounds like alove story......hehehe! But, hey.....when they guarantee it, I push it! That's the way it goes for me.........now send me those straps! Pronto! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

An UPDATE: Just checked my dealer's web site and I noticed he pulled alll the IIC's out! I warned him about the problem, so I think he's re-testing and checking all his stocks! :good:

I have always been told to hold reps away from water.

Exactly correct. The Golden Rule governing watches (especially non-QC'd reps) & moisture - Never expose a watch to moisture/water unless it has been (recently) water pressure tested by a knowledgeable watchmaker using proper pressure-testing equipment. I feel bad for you Hike (really), but I am sure the collector will repair or replace it for you.

Am I the only one that think these CHS GMTIIc's are hugely overrated with crap movements?

Will you guys buy anything nowadays?

I think you've been a little naiive trusting in dealer claims

It's a shame that is what it comes down to though, yes?

My SFSO came with a loose caseback. Most do. No problem, greased it and sealed it down. But thats not the point.

I never had much of any issue getting my rep watches wet. I dont swim so thats not going to happen but I do clean my watches before and after wearing them by putting them under the faucet and then wiping dry.....keeps all the dust and dirt from gathering. I have in total 25 reps watches and the only issue I ever had was with my MBW 1680. However once I had a new CLARK crystal installed and the watch pressure tested never had a problem again with it.

After reading this post, I checked my GMT IIc Asian, which I received on Thursday and it has an uneven crystal too!!! Writing Andrew now...

thats strange ..... i got my watch last week - no problems with the crystal - survived the "warm water drop test" -

and the asia movement keeps running like it should ... guess im the only one ....

cheers,

Frank

After reading this post, I checked my GMT IIc Asian, which I received on Thursday and it has an uneven crystal too!!! Writing Andrew now...

Don't!.......I repeat! Don't get it close to water! and I well request a replacement pronto if I were you! It's a ticking time bomb! One of these days

you'll unconciously wash your hand while wearing it and get it splashed......kaboom! You just created your own cloud or fog!

@Kelster: thats strange ..... i got my watch last week - no problems with the crystal - survived the "warm water drop test" -

and the asia movement keeps running like it should ... guess im the only one ....

Lucky you!!!! Enjoy your watch! BTW: Your source???

It's a shame that is what it comes down to though, yes?

Let me rephrase that. I don't mean some dealers purposely don't do the things they say, but there's no guarantee against such fine tolerances. It's like my old boss (surgeon) who used to check the suture handiwork of whoever closed up a patient. Naturally it would make you aggressive/defensive, but he explained it wasn't about trust he was just checking anyway - for peace of mind as any slight error could potentially cause infection and thus require reopening. Better to be safe than sorry as they say.

Guest carlsbadrolex

So you guys didnt read the warning I made over a week ago about these crystals and the fact that they could not possibly be waterproof until they were fixed????

Do a search, its been discussed before. I even posted on what the issue actually was, and how to fix it.

HMMMM, now that I think of it... maybe I posted this on another site!

I would think that you tanked your watch. Your going to be hard pressed to find a replica tech that will work on it, and a watch maker isnt going to know what to do with the modified movement.

If you decide to sell the parts, let me know!

Don't!.......I repeat! Don't get it close to water! and I well request a replacement pronto if I were you! It's a ticking time bomb! One of these days

you'll unconciously wash your hand while wearing it and get it splashed......kaboom! You just created your own cloud or fog!

@Kelster: thats strange ..... i got my watch last week - no problems with the crystal - survived the "warm water drop test" -

Lucky you!!!! Enjoy your watch! BTW: Your source???

my watch is from PureTime ...

my watch is from PureTime ...

Mine was from puretime too and it has the crooked crystal and the GMT does not work properly :bangin:

You are both returning it, I hope!

Send it back at PureTime's expense.

I hope people will learn to stay away from this dealer whose service is worse and worse and lies bigger and bigger.

THIS GUY ALWAYS DROPSHIPS LATELY, your watch won't be check at all before being shipped....despite his freaking promises

So you guys didnt read the warning I made over a week ago about these crystals and the fact that they could not possibly be waterproof until they were fixed????

Do a search, its been discussed before. I even posted on what the issue actually was, and how to fix it.

HMMMM, now that I think of it... maybe I posted this on another site!

I would think that you tanked your watch. Your going to be hard pressed to find a replica tech that will work on it, and a watch maker isnt going to know what to do with the modified movement.

If you decide to sell the parts, let me know!

Yep - Carlsbad covered this over at RG. Crystal not seated evenly from the "factory". I have one with the uneven crystal too. You need to repress the crystal...

Bummer Hike...

repressing the crystal is not too difficult with the right tools. Small hand presses are cheap (bought mine for about $40).

I'd try this first...

Once I repressed the crystal of a noobmariner as it suffered the same leak - and it kept dry inside after that even after swimming in the pool or having a shower with the watch.