When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

CNC Rolex case?

After looking at all of the mods that are being performed on the different reps, it made me wonder whether or not anyone has ever machined a case from the Gen. I have a CNC machine and would like to get a copy of the solid model if there is one floating around out there.

First Rolexex Cases are stamped out from solid 904L

Than they where machind like every other Case..

When you can do it why not,with the right CNC Machine you can do a lot..

You can take an WM9 Case or a Eurotimez Case to reproduce it...

But I think its expensive to do it..

If anyone would like to generate a model from a gen I would be more than happy to attempt it to see if it would be worth it or not.

My guess would it would not really be worth it.... but if I had a CNC machine I would probably want to try! It would have to be quite a machine to be able to pull it off though. Since you already do CNC work, you are probably aware that the cost of tools to cut the 904L would probably cost more than the case.

Of course Rolex cases are built with CNC technonolgy, or do you think that there is still a Swish watchmaker creating the shape and form with his magic enchanted hand files? :) Yo uare right that in early days the cases were hand finished, but not today. Sadly... the price should still allow that. :)

I think you should give it a try. As long as you have a CNC machine, why not try w/ a rep case, just to see if you can do it? IF you do a gen case please send one to archibald....I won't tell anyone @ Rolex!

Guest avitt

DW vintage Daytona cases are CNC'd 1:1 reproductions (with allowances for available parts like aftermarket pushers, Chinese movements, etc), and they were/are extremely successful.

I kinda agree with The Zigmeister's opinion, this is a very dangerous subject to even brush with. Don't think it's worth the immense risk.

As for CNC, it IS a CNC on a higher-end side and continued with detailed non-CNC process which utilized robotic technology to replace the old hand finishing process... that's all I got to say if you trust me.

Of course Rolex cases are built with CNC technonolgy, or do you think that there is still a Swish watchmaker creating the shape and form with his magic enchanted hand files? :) Yo uare right that in early days the cases were hand finished, but not today. Sadly... the price should still allow that. :)

They are NOT CNC'ed. Watch this video and see how they are made:

They are punched.

Let's say you manage to CNC a perfect Rolex case, what movement are you going to put in it? :)

Perhaps something like this will help to workout fitting a movement in the case

Retro-fit ETA 2824-2 movement to ROLEX 3035 case

Or this

Retro-fit ETA 2892-A2 movement to ROLEX 3135 case

The big question I have is which Rolex model's case will you make?