When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Can you spot a fake just by glancing at it?

I am interested in a Breitling Navitimer with a black dial. I do not care about imperfections such as the date font, the slide rule, etc. The reason I want one is because I am in love with the way the watch looks. Are the replicas listed on the recommended sights really good enough to fool experts if they were to just glance quickly at them? I am worried that the colors may be off even though it is just black and off white. Are the colors accurate? I saw one Navitimer that even I could tell was a fake, with silver dials. I hate to spend $250 and be disappointed. Do these replicas look like the real thing?

Welcome - lots to learn here. Start reading - then read some more and then read some more. I have been on the rep forums since 2005 and I still read everyday as there is lots to learn. Almost every question you could think to ask has been asked (almost) and the search function works really well. There is even a breitling section you can check out.

Welcome.

Guest carlsbadrolex

Yes young grasshopper... for it is easy to spot a replica by only looking in to the eyes of the wearer. The eyes give the watch away every time!

Typically, unless the replica is a very poorly executed example, I would say that the chances of spotting a replica while simply glancing at a wrist in situ are probably not very likely. Most times, even upon close visual inspection, one may not be able to identify it as such.

The times when one would be likely to be called out on a high quality replica is if a knowledgable individual (in that particular brand), WIS, or RWG member were to examine the watch in hand, feeling the weight and details (like winding the movement), noting the specific known details and flaws or when posting a picture for the Internet public at large to examine in full.

Remember... Most people in the general population probably wouldn't know what a Breitling (or other high end brand) was to begin with.

I am interested in a Breitling Navitimer with a black dial. I do not care about imperfections such as the date font, the slide rule, etc. The reason I want one is because I am in love with the way the watch looks. Are the replicas listed on the recommended sights really good enough to fool experts if they were to just glance quickly at them? I am worried that the colors may be off even though it is just black and off white. Are the colors accurate? I saw one Navitimer that even I could tell was a fake, with silver dials. I hate to spend $250 and be disappointed. Do these replicas look like the real thing?

Welcome WC ... give yourself sometime.. of course you will purchase a replication of your fav genuine... but heed this ... in time maybe a short time or an extended period ... you will want more out of the replication.. in other words.. "you think" that you will be satisfied with a somewhat respectable but flawed timepiece.. this is the natural order of this Hobby..

And as your interest and knowledge grows and expands you will want more detail and less flaws.. more exact colour in the dial.. you will be 'distracted" by the smaller flaws that you say you wouldn't mind now..

And this comes with time and the knowledge base that you will find Here.. RWG.. IMO the best knowledge base .. weather genuine or replication is here.. on genuine forums you don't have members who know the workings of the movements and spend as much time researching .. reviewing trading knowledge.. this forum is not soley base on esthetics ...

They supposedly are working on some breitlings as we speak.. I would wait of get something to start off with to curb your appetite and then check the wrist checks .. read the reviews...

once you go Vintage Rolex.. that usually means you have turned the "corner" after about 1 to 3 years and are now into more of the classics rather than the Bling watches.. but nothing wrong with the blind... I guess I am talking from my own evolution in this Hobby

spend small on an Asian movement rep.. then after you become more aware of navigating this forum and the members whom are the experts..

For Breitling.. andreww.. would be the reviewer extraordinaire along with toad torrent, chrgod... .. Andrew has a intense and maybe the best (their all good though) review on the breitlings..

Rolex.. ahhh there are a host of pros... Ubi.. toomuchbeer... tribal .. laz ,Freddy.. Carlsbad kind of a little of all..... and a host of others .. but those come to mind fast for me..

Omega.... you have the mod..BT.. pugwash again andreww ...this one is I believe TJ's pet (UPO).... and all others

and Corgi .and consell for the high end dress watches...

All these members put together have over 300 years of experience... sound dramatic huh ;)

I could keep on but main thing is ..there is virtually a ton of knowledge and members willing to help !!!!

Just ask !! :D

and I am constantly in awe of the support here..

WELCOME TO THE OBSESSION !!!!!

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

For me, it's the AR that I know makes a huge difference... so add $45+ to that 1st purchase. See some samples here:

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=65789

Hey I cant agree more with you, Navitimer is one of the best looking Breitling ever made! Its just cannot be describe. Its Classic, yet sporty, and formal. It is also flexible with SS band, or leather band. Regarding to imperfection, Navitimer is not that accurate, but who Damn Care !! :D. Its the beauty that matter, the major give away is only the AR, but the crystal is really good already, It can be seen from some angle without reflection.

Trust me you wont regret :D

Here is my Navi for reference , currently with k2222 having AR done + blue leather Band

p1010730qo4.jpg

p1010002tg4.jpg

If someone calls you out, look them in the eyes and say Jetmid. Then they will understand.

What am I missing with Jetmid???

Anyway, No, you can't usually tell unless its really bad or you get a good look. Usually people are moving all around and you cant see the small details that give away these top quality reps. Don't know much about Brietling, I should say, but it applies for the brands I do know.

oftern you see the watch and then look at the person, do they look like they could be wearing that sort of watch? 9 times out of 10 the way the person look sor holds them selfs is the key, not nesesarliy the clothes but the details.

Members of rep forums are more likley to spot a rep at first glance than a gen collectors who doesn't hang around on the boards, and they are also less likely to call you out (part of the etiquette of rep collecting - although some rep collectors are complete @rses and call people out)

So in answer to your question, will people know its a rep navi - no chance unless they can inspect it very closely, from 5 feet away at a glance it wouldn't even cross their mind that it's a rep.

Buy yourself a fully modded BK mariner first which will cost you about 360 bucks. Wear it for a while since I have heard a new updated Navitimer is on its way. Once the new version is out which I assume will be an ULTIMATE version go ahead and buy it. Then you will have a nice Rollie and a Brightling. And NO neither of them would ever be spotted as a fake!

Buy yourself a fully modded BK mariner first which will cost you about 360 bucks. Wear it for a while since I have heard a new updated Navitimer is on its way. Once the new version is out which I assume will be an ULTIMATE version go ahead and buy it. Then you will have a nice Rollie and a Brightling. And NO neither of them would ever be spotted as a fake!

People will ask if the Rolex is fake though, this seems to be the one brand that gets that kind of attention.