When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Broke down and bought a gen

TK471

I'm surprised you bought a gen (I love the watch!) when the rep UPO are so damn good.

I dont think i'll ever sell my PO... but have been eyeing a gen Breitling Chrono Avenger... so I here where you are coming from on buying a gen. :)

Congrats.... good feeling isnt it m8 .

The rep will never be a gen, though. Went through a lot of PAM reps before I ultimately got this:

DSC02074.jpg

and this:

189783-5139.jpg

or this:

oddcouple.jpg

because the gens look like this on the inside:

199299-2076.jpg

Fact of the matter is that there was always something that irked me with each of the reps. Something in the back of my head. That's not to say that I don't love the hobby, otherwise I wouldn't spend so much time here, but I consider my reps a bit of a test drive. When I fall in love with something, I typically replace it with the gen. If I find myself flipping, then I don't purchase the gen.

Now, that said, there are folks on the forum that know my proclivity for flipping gens, too, so maybe we'll just chalk it up to sickness and leave it at that! In fact, of all the watches posted here, I only still have one of them!

Looks great. Wear it in good health :)

BTW Does it wear as 'tall' as the UPO?

You know, I think it does. Some of the differences are 1) the pearl (can be changed with bezel insert); 2) the crystal (can be replaced); 3) lume quality (gen glows as well as an Panerai I've ever seen; 4) and the hands sit further down on the post, probably due to the fact that gen is based off a different caliber than the rep.

It is a great rep, though. I just wanted the assurance of a warranty, frankly.

You CANNOT go wrong with a UPO.

Nothing compares to the gen...and the gen PO is really not that much if you get a good deal on a used one. Congrats...I'm almost at the point that I just want to sell all of my reps and by a gen or two and be done with it...just wanna wear a watch.

You know, I think it does. Some of the differences are 1) the pearl (can be changed with bezel insert); 2) the crystal (can be replaced); 3) lume quality (gen glows as well as an Panerai I've ever seen; 4) and the hands sit further down on the post, probably due to the fact that gen is based off a different caliber than the rep.

It is a great rep, though. I just wanted the assurance of a warranty, frankly.

You CANNOT go wrong with a UPO.

Thank You for the reply and the pictures (forgot that the first time :) ). I have one UPO that I was wearing a lot last summer, but I can't bring myself to fit it in the weekly rotation :) It feels like the back is too thick: I have come to like my watches sitting closer to my wrist. Personnal taste here, it does suit You well.

Nothing compares to the gen...and the gen PO is really not that much if you get a good deal on a used one. Congrats...I'm almost at the point that I just want to sell all of my reps and by a gen or two and be done with it...just wanna wear a watch.

Sounds like a great plan J. Start with the 188 and I'll take it :D;)

TK, I'm just like you. The desire, the feeling "in the back of my mind", the quality of the gen all causes me to end up buying the gen of the rep, even if the rep is a "super rep" as some people have called it.

Call me a little crazy. I know my wife does. But the reps, especially those on bracelet, cannot match those of the gen. Some people might think that we might be so anal and that 0.0000001% would likely call us out, that little part in my head says, "it's just NOT the real deal!"

I'm starting to feel that way with the new AP ROO rep too. I am still contemplating purchasing the one of the gen LE's to whet my appetite.

Again, some proponents of the reps would say, it's "just as good", but that's it; it's "just as good".

Totally agree, TK! Enjoy the PO! I know the feeling of acquiring the gen...don't know about you, but I get this kind of euphoric feeling that makes me wide-eyed to stare at the watch like when I am bringing my puppy home for the first time, or when I looked into my wife's eyes when I married her...

And my wife just looked over when I typed this and now she thinks I'm a little eccentric/crazy. I tell her, better to have an affair with my watches than to have an affair with another woman!

I am currently under the bad dilema of ultra modding a UPO or buy gen. Thats a sweet looking timepiece you got there.

:D

Is that really a dilema ? If I had enough $$ I would choose the bright side of power and go for GENUINE :)

Fact of the matter is that there was always something that irked me with each of the reps. Something in the back of my head.

Hahahaha... i know what you're talking about too well... Congrats with your new PO and i fully agree with you. Even a highly modded rep, even with gen parts, is just no real gen... there will always be somehting that need improvement. The flaws on the UPO kept me from buying that rep and i've considered buying the gen 42mm version. No funds unfortunately... so who knows ;)

Excellent choice :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is that there was always something that irked me with each of the reps. Something in the back of my head. That's not to say that I don't love the hobby, otherwise I wouldn't spend so much time here, but I consider my reps a bit of a test drive. When I fall in love with something, I typically replace it with the gen. If I find myself flipping, then I don't purchase the gen.

Exactly my feelings too. Over the last few years I've bought, modded and sold several PAMs. But every time there's that little voice inside me that points me out the flaws. Instead of enjoying the almost perfect rep I can only see the - minor - flaws. Thinking of buying a gen PAM111 now to satisfy the hunger.... Oh, and I'm broke too :lol:

Congrats with the new watch!