When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Airking Quandry

jmt

Hi all. I've got a question for you all... I've got an old Airking. It's in pretty good shape, and has a nicely preserved 1520 inside. Now, here's the question-- I don't love the airking. So, I am thinking of reusing the movement to make a 5517 (I posted about this a while back). Then I had second thoughts-- am I nuts to pull apart a perfectly nice gen just 'cause it doesn't get me excited? Whaddaya think, guys?

Rip it apart. All the best reps (frankens) mean that an original piece had to die. So be it. A superb franken is far better than an average original.

Agreed.

And still, you can keep the entire Airking ( not sell any parts) and put the mvt back in in case you want to recover money from the gen... ;)

I have R.I.P.'d my share of gens apart to power frankens, but the frankens are always constructed mostly out of gen parts. If that is your intention, then rip away (even though Air Kings are 1 of the most beautiful & classic watches anyone ever made, regardless of their apparent lack of record-breaking valuations). But if your plan is to put the movement into a rep case, I would have to sort of side with Dimer on this 1.

How about posting a good, clear pic or 2 of your AK?

I used an Air King with a 1520 movement for my NDT 5508. And even though a 5508 should have a 1530 movt, I used the 1520 (it is essentially the same movement, but later). And if I wanted to resurrect the Air King, it would be easy to do- no parts were destroyed in building the 5508. I did have the movement serviced in the building process.

post-175-1216678551_thumb.jpg

I think building a 5517 or a 5513 is the perfect use for a 1520 movement. It's just a shame the NDT parts are so expensive and going up all the time.

One thing to think about before you put the Air King under the knife is that your newly created Franken will still only be a replica watch. As such, it will never be worth what a gen Rolex will be worth on the open market. I would suggest that if you feel that you must have a gen movement, try to pick up one on the bay for your project. Also consider that many Rolex rep cases may not accept gen movements without modifications.