When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Got a Regatta? Were you in a Pizza Hut last Friday?

kasigi

I was in a Pizza Hut last week and noticed a huge beast of a watch on someone's wrist. I approached him to the embarrassment of my kids and complemented him on his watch which he took off and handed to me. It was a Regatta and my spidey sense tingled a bit but I'm not sure why. Perhaps it was the ease that he was prepared to take it off and hand to me, a complete stranger just like that.

Do Regatta's have REG TM on the CG? I'm sure one did and my eyes were drawn to that.

So I wonder if the owner is reading this? :)

Regatta's have closed case backs, so opening it might not have gone over well. My regatta wasn't a chrono, i suppose they make two versions? Also my rep did have those markings on it and it was the upgraded version of the regatta that came out last year.

The fact that you were at a Pizza Hut is the 1st clue that it was a rep! ;)

Hey.......I eat at Sick-Donalds sometimes too......

FYI, Pizza Hut in certain countries other than the US are considered higher end restaurants.

FYI, Pizza Hut in certain countries other than the US are considered higher end restaurants.

I don't even want to know what their low end restaurants are then...

The fact that you were at a Pizza Hut is the 1st clue that it was a rep! ;)

oooh steriotypes... a topic just up my street!!

cant a man eat a pizza without being branded a low class, rep wearing cheap bastard? :-P

I approached him to the embarrassment of my kids

its proven that kids are the best and the easiest ones to brainwash with advertising. KFC, MCDonalds, Burger KIng etc they are all equally bad. If i took my 5yr neice on a day out and the choice for lunch was Pizza hut or a fine italian place, I wouldnt think she would choose to eat at Bertorelli's. :-P

And based on the above statement, if i was sitting in a pizza hut with my neice wearing my gen (insert brand here), I would certainly be there to make a kid happy/enjoy the moment/have food. I wouldnt be there cause the chain complemented/uncomplemented my watch or my clothes.

also, it is possible that the watch wearer or whoever the he was with enjoys the pizza hut buffets?

Edited by blade007

The owner of the watch did comment that it was unusual for someone in Pizza Hut to recognise a Panerai, especially from a distance. I was a good fifteen yards from him, we were almost at opposite sides of the restaurant but these things do stand out a bit!

True. Here in Brazil, Pizza Hut have a different aproach than US. About 10-12 years ago, it was the same cheapo-fast food style, but was a total fail. Another company get the license, and change the style of the restaurants.

But macdonalds, BK and Subway is the same... also starbucks.

Back on topic, the Regatta models are the:

107 -- panda

156 -- gmt

168 -- chrono

199 -- submersible

222 -- power reserve

253 -- flyback -- 1950 case, two pushers, Reg TM crown guard, display back

286 -- rattrapante -- 1950 case, two pushers, Reg TM crown guard, display back

The only ones with Reg TM crown guard are the latter twos.

That also depends in how your dress, here in the US may an exception. you see people with money riding cheap cars.

I've got a couple friends with nice gen collections and judging from thier houses or cars you would never guess that they each have several fairly high end watches. One has a nice but modest home and maybe a 30-35K car but has an almost 20K Daytona. Went with him to the AD when he picked it up so I know it's gen.

Where you eat has zero to do with what you can afford.

Actually, almost anything I do has zero to do with what I can afford -- especially when it comes to reps... :black_eye: