When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bond SMP from King

whitestripes

Hi guys,

So after looking around the various dealers' offerings, I am very close to buying an ETA Bond SMP from King (best looking crown guards, IMHO).

Here is a response from her:

Eric:

hi,answer the question

I am very interested in the Omega Seamaster 085 "Bond." I just have a few questions:

1. Can you guarantee that it has a genuine Swiss ETA 2824 movement? yes

2. Can you insure that the 3 o'clock marker is there? same the my web pic!

3. Is it possible to do a quality control--centered lume pearl on the bezel, and align the bezel?lume pearl not on the bezel now.it on the case!

insert not have that pearl dot on it !

4-6days you can get it by usps!

waiting for your message

regards

king

What does "lume pearl not on the bezel now... it on the case?" Is this like the PO where the lume pearl is stuck to the bezel part, and the insert has a hole for it? I wish her English were better... Has anyone ordered one of them?

OMEGA-085.jpg

OMEGA-085-23.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn I really surpprise... I very interesting by the question cause I would like to buy one...!

I don't interstand what they mine by "lume pearl not on the bezel now.it on the case!

insert not have that pearl dot on it ! "

I think You guessed it correctly. I have seen this structure in the Planet Ocean: The pearl is glued to a protrusion on the bezel, and the bezel insert has a hole that lets the pearl stick through it. :)

Ok, ok but when you turn the bezel what's happen?

The bezel (protrusion and insert) all turn together, which is no problem. My problem is what happens when I want to get a new insert? Can I shave off the protrusion to get a flat bezel insert space to put an aftermarket insert? or will I have to pop off the pearl from the new insert to get it to fit? What if the pearl is crappy? Am I stuck with it?

If it DOES have the pearl fixed on the bezel rather than the insert, it COULD guarantee correct alignment every time. That assumes that the pearl is glued in line with one of the "peaks" on the bezel. Sadly the your picture shows that it is not. Shame... it's a good shape and size for an SMP rep.

Of course if the pearl sits in an indent on the metal bezel, the insert will be impossible to realign.

Good grief! What doesn't someone build an "ultimate" of that rep? Apparently it HAS been done before!

Ive asked her about the exact watch myself.

In my email, I didnt even ask about ETA, I outwardly stated "Im ok with copy ETA". I left it open ended and just wanted an honest admission about it. She swears its a genuine ETA movement. Maybe it is, I do not know.

I've never ordered from King personally. I would like to, but I'm afraid of getting burned by the same questions. I'm VERY cautious with any future purchases I make. Simply put there's cheaper alternatives if I want a "gray area" purchase.

The whole algorithm about the bezel is a turn off now as well. If its affixed in that position, the watch, the review of it on this board, the alignment fix.. its void.

I'am very affraid to send money to King now... Cause I would like a real ETA and a good watch... Finally what's the best issue? Silix's SMP? Anyone can send a pics of the Silix's SMP? In my opinion, the Silix have a wrong needles size... and a clone ETA movement.

Anyone can say what's wrong on the King's SMP? I understand nothing about what's happen. Personally I'am not interesting by change the bezel or change the pearl.

Have you guys noticed that non-Bond SMPs have wonderful crown guards???

So what?

Edited by JBond

Bond, I think you are missing some of the points of this discussion, which I find strange because you originally were very enthusiastic about getting the King SMP.

1. What is Silix's incorrect "needle" size? I am unaware of needles on watches.

2. The change in bezel design should interest you. If it is what we think it is, you cannot fix the alignment of the bezel insert. See By-Tor's guide on Bond SMP modding for details.

3. The crownguards are what drew me into the King SMP in the first place. In your "Buy a new Omega SMP or repair this one?" thread, it is made clear that the crown guards are what we're after. My point about the other SMPs having perfect crown guards is that they have the same case, just different bezel, dial, hands, and bracelet. I think they are purposely leaving imperfections in the most popular Bond Sub.

1- Sorry my english is not perfect. And I just use a wrong word. Sorry.

2- Yes, now I understand but change the bezel and fix the aligment are differents things. I'am not interesting by change the bezel but, I'am interesting by fix the aligment.

3- Now I'am looking for the Precious time's SMP for security and quality reason cause Precious Time work likes Eurotimez. That should interest you I think. http://www.ptswiss.com/

Sorry for all the misunderstanding

Edited by JBond

Pretty interesting revalations. If Kings bezel pearl is fixed into the metal bezel ring, then i'll assume jandrews are as well? This is a huge gray area on a very popular watch.

Are we possibly dealing with a new version across the board than SMP's seen up to now?

I would like to have some more information on these, maybe from our collectors. Someone.

I have yet to pull the trigger on one of these myself.

Maybe Chris or King could help sort some of these developments?

I think i'll shoot a PM to Chris and see what is available to him and give him the link to this thread.

The Silix rep is very, very good. The hand (all three) are the correct length and proportion. Also good lume, though I can't compare it to the gen as I've never seen one in the dark

Clasp and bracelet is very nice, as is the dial. Font on the bezel insert is very authentic. Don't know about the datewheel font, because I don't know what subtle errors to look for.

Naturally the bezel insert is misaligned and I have NOT tried fixing it yet. And the He valve position (which doesn't bother me)

The biggest flaw is the puny crown guards. It's annoying.... sooooo close otherwise.

I am a HUGE Omega fan and these days I wear my SMP Chrono rep or a sub $100 SMP Bond. The "bargain" Bond, for all it's flaws, makes me happier than the more accurate Silix rep. The crown guards kills it for me.

Edited by mars08

@ mars08:

Where did you get your "bargain" Bond? I'm interested. What differences are there between the <$100 and the Silix $200 + $35 shipping (other than the ETA or fake ETA movement)?

I'm not an expert, but the SMP Bond just does something for me. Certainly it's not as glamorous as the newer reps, but I'm a big fan.

The differences between the Silix rep and the bargain Bond (BB)

Silix has has better size/shape pearl and better font on bezel insert.

Silix has better quality, shape and fitting of bracelet links.

Silix has more authentic positioning of text on clasp.

Silix has better texture and colour on the dial.

Silix has better coloured lume (the BB is greenish)

Silix has more authentic blue colour on bezel insert.

Silix has correct "sqared off" buttons on the clasp.

BUT, like I said, the crown guards really disappoint.

I got my BB from a dealer listed in the "scam list". No problem.

You can get one from rolex2u.com for just over $100. The pic on the site shows how dark the "blue" is on this particular rep (although I suspect it's also a poorly lit photo). He might sell more than one SMP Bond model so look for OBVIOUS differences.

You can also find a BB like mine on other web sites, but it's your money and your gamble.

No doubt some of the trusted dealers might source one for you.

Pity about the Kings watch though.

The Silix rep is very, very good. The hand (all three) are the correct length and proportion. Also good lume, though I can't compare it to the gen as I've never seen one in the dark

Clasp and bracelet is very nice, as is the dial. Font on the bezel insert is very authentic. Don't know about the datewheel font, because I don't know what subtle errors to look for.

Naturally the bezel insert is misaligned and I have NOT tried fixing it yet. And the He valve position (which doesn't bother me)

The biggest flaw is the puny crown guards. It's annoying.... sooooo close otherwise.

I am a HUGE Omega fan and these days I wear my SMP Chrono rep or a sub $100 SMP Bond. The "bargain" Bond, for all it's flaws, makes me happier than the more accurate Silix rep. The crown guards kills it for me.

i love my smp but the He valve position bothers me more than the crown guard......

Hi P4GTR,

Thanks for refering me to this thread, I'll try to help with whatever I can, more as a member than a dealer.

First off I'm not an SMP expert (more a rolex guy...yea yea I know I know... flame me) so all would have to help chime in...

I can "try" to source that watch and make pictures for you, perhaps even take off the bezel, make pictures of the movement. (note "TRY" as I'm quite busy a the moment and my contact in China are working full-time to get / QC / ship orders)

Give me some specs what to look out for... as I believe they have different varriations to this one and I want to source the best one available.

With other words Educate me a bit, I'm always open to learning some more :)

Can somebody list in clear language --not Omega kinda language, but just simple stuff that even a dummy like me can understand-- what you guys want to know and how to find that out.

Personally it is quite hard nowadays to get with GEN ETA, sometimes I get them only with COPY-ETA (with ease) and need to re-install a genuine ETA which make take a week --lately it's been taking about that time--

Can somebody list in clear language --not Omega kinda language, but just simple stuff that even a dummy like me can understand-- what you guys want to know and how to find that out.

Personally it is quite hard nowadays to get with GEN ETA, sometimes I get them only with COPY-ETA (with ease) and need to re-install a genuine ETA which make take a week --lately it's been taking about that time--

Speaking for myself, the movement isn't critical. From what I've read there were 2531.80 Bond SMP back in the "good old days" that had the authentic jewellery. Apparently they had the correct length hands, He valve position, correct crown guards and crown, quality bracelet and clasp, bezel font and alignment. I assume they used 21j Asian movements but some Omega geek might have to confirm that.

A newer version of THAT rep would be my Holy Grail. Unfortunately super-reps of flashier models/brands are currently in fashion, so I'm not holding my breath.