When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just saw my first Panerai in the wild!

enock

I am a Legal Document Service provider and work with Law Firms in Wash DC every day. I'm always paying attention to peoples wrists.

I see alot of Rolexes. Especially Submariners and GMT Masters.

I had seen some Omega's as well but I never had seen a Panerai. I just think that Panerai is for more sophisticated people.

Yesterday I was meeting with an attorney from a Very Profitable Firm in DC and took a look at his wrist and there it was!

A Panrai GMT North Pole edition!

It was gorgeous and Huge! I had no doubt it was real, since the guy happened to be a Partner.

I'm getting me one of those. The Rep of course!

Atleast until I can afford a GEN!

I see 1-3 a day when at work (during the summer especially). At least 4 guys in my building alone own them. Interestingly they all are multiple watch owners. I was curious and asked. If I go into a chic upscale restaurant for lunch I am guaranteed to see at least a couple. Sales of these watches have gone through the roof in a couple of cities over here. And how do I know this? Because I am always "Kruzing" the large gray market sellers and ask them how sales are going. A regular gray marketer on risti was telling me that his sales basically doubled this summer. And that is all automatics as they don't usually sell hand winds other than the Fiddy/very expensive types.

I was shopping on Robertson in Beverly Hills and spotted a Pam 233. He saw mine (04b) and i saw his..........no reaction really...

Pams are a dime a dozen here in Socal. Sometimes you get the occasional person who'll chat a bit when spotted.

seems Panerai has become the unofficial, official watch of Chicago...... I see ALOT of Roadsters and Santos as well so I'd say Cartier is a close second.

3 weeks ago I was in the Capitol Grill in Phoenix and 3 suits came in all wearing Pams on SS bracelets (2 autos and a 196), all from the same law firm. It was a very impressive site. I was wearing my HBB ss and they noticed so we struck up a conversation and I lied through my teeth. They were impressed that I knew their model numbers. Then last week I am interviewing a young man for a regional sales position and he shows up wearing a 063. Turns out he is a RWI forum member. Now that is really narrowing it down. By the way, he got hired.

Rogerwine

Sales of these watches have gone through the roof in a couple of cities over here. And how do I know this? Because I am always "Kruzing" the large gray market sellers and ask them how sales are going. A regular gray marketer on risti was telling me that his sales basically doubled this summer. And that is all automatics as they don't usually sell hand winds other than the Fiddy/very expensive types.

wow kruzer, this is one of the more surprising things i've read in a while. i'm guessing this is a supply related change vs. a material change in demand? this means either i) panerai is taking share like mad (given the economy and what i would predict are generally declining watch sale trends) or ii) these grey market sources have increased supply of these watches and are now better able to meet demand.

am i missing something? any thoughts or insights?

thanks,

deltatahoe

• 1 month later...

I work for an investment bank in Chicago and over the past 2-3 yrs. it seems like we were adding a PAM per month on the trading desk.

When I go outside of work I struggle to see more than 1 every month or two. Then again, I dont mix in the trendy circles, big nightlife scenes etc...so I dont know if thats where most people are spotting them??

When I sit in a big hitter meeting there's clearly an inverse correlation between level of importance and Rollie wearing. The guy wearing the 'graduation present' is the guy trying to sell us something we dont need, or the guy being sold on something we dont want.

Good topic...It was interesting to read the places and situations where PAMs are sighted....

Working on the Las Vegas strip, I see Pams every day, as well as many other great gen watches. There have been many an occasion where having a pam on my wrist would enconter a fellow Pam wearer and we would compare/discuss the Pam line. The most common comment is that no one ever notices that they have a Panerai untill theu run into some who is also weqring one.

I'm a M&A consultant, now working in-house.

I have seen so far only 3 Panaerai at works, mostly base pam. Recently I spotted PAM111 on an Associate Lawyer at Baker McKenzie, who were working on my company's account few months ago and we chatted for 5 minutes. Now come to think of it , I am sure my company had to pay for that conversation.

PAMs in Poland are rather rare, however I've seen around 3 Pams (mostly base) in the last 3 months. Yesterday I spotted a Hublot BB RG in the mall. All I can say is wow... Very impressive. But why in the hell would the owner wear pink trousers? :D I doubt it's a good combo.