When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Ten Reasons to Reject the Idea of Buying a Replica Watch

blade007

I was just out at the local pharmacy, and was browsing magazines, and what did I see:

"Automobile Enthusiast" This month's topics include:

"Comparison: Replica vs Real - how do they stack up? We test the Cobra's..."

"Replica's, report on what's available and the quality...in-depth review and comparisons..."

So why is it acceptable to have replica just about anything (Tiffany "style" lamps, etc), even cars, sponsored and promoted and sold in the open, even reviewed in national magazines, yet a friggen watch is a problem and brings the ire of so many?

Makes no sense to me at all, unless of course your trying to sell genuine watches.

RG

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just out at the local pharmacy, and was browsing magazines, and what did I see:

"Replica's, report on what's available and the quality...in-depth review and comparisons..."

So why is it acceptable to have replica just about anything (Tiffany "style" lamps, etc), even cars, sponsored and promoted and sold in the open, even reviewed in national magazines, yet a friggen watch is a problem and brings the ire of so many?

Makes no sense to me at all, unless of course your trying to sell genuine watches.

RG

Glad to hear you can see at all!

I'd say something about that article really being about equating gens to an activity with the opposite gender, while reps would be the equivalent of something less fulfilling.... but I've been subjected to all sorts of anti-harassment courses at the office, so I realize that'd be totally inappropriate.

RG

Excellent Points

Dani - Just because your sporting a rep doesn't mean you don't have the real thing - you might get a rep version of your gen to travel with but the root of the question is - your sporting a luxury you can't afford - and i would argue that a for a huge % of our rwg population - thats not true at all :)

my boss used to sport a pam rep - but had a more expensive rolex.

although maybe the literal point in the paragraph maybe in fact an accurate statement - the meaning of the sentence is not true for us.

Further- i believe that 90% of luxury watches aren't worth the metal they are engraved in - your buying a name. - reality is my homer tourby is a way more impressive watch than a rolex anything -

If you stick around here long enough - its not about sporting an image that you can't afford - its about enjoying a marvel of micro engineering - (just not worth a bagillion dollars)

99.999 % of people have no idea that there is a difference between my tourby, my AP, and invicta - the most comments i have ever gotten about a rep - was my first Breit Chronomat rep that i got way before finding RWG - i wouldn't be caught dead wearing it now ! :)

i sent it to for life everafter in the downunder

there are alot of falsehoods in that article. i have a number of

reps that are working fine after several years. only a very knowlegeble

watch person would be able to call out the well made reps.

that said, i still have about 35% gens in my collection. i like variety and i just can't afford

every gen i like. i wouldn't want to have a rep only collection.

The first three statements by this poor writer, besides of being false, clearly show how she is oriented to impress others:

1. A replica watch shows off what you really don't have

2. Almost anyone can tell a replica watch from an authentic one

3. A replica watch will actually impress no one

Statements #4-5-6-7-8-10 are clearly related, as others already pointed out, to low-end street reps, not the kind of reps we are used to.

...But statement #9 is a gem:

9. ...the widespread counterfeiting industry... is linked to major organised crime, drugs, prostitution and even people-smuggling. The producers of qenuine watches join efforts to fight counterfeiting and minimize its negative effects.

hysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gif

Amazing that they still think number two is tru! May they long continue to do so.

Number three gave me a smile. Look at the [censored] in the pic! He subscribes to this thery I'm shure. Impressing folk is not a good reason to buy ANYTHING!

Col.

EDIT: ROFLMAO, chk the adds by google on the right of screen. There almost all for reps! Therefor their haughty little forum is supported by the rep industry! You gotta love irony in that!

Edited by trailboss99

RG

I still want to build a Cobra some day. I used to read a lot about the various manufacturers.

What's really kind of funny is that Carroll Shelby used to be just as [censored] at the replica Cobra industry as Rolex is about the rep watch industry. But Carroll, being a shrewd business man, decided that he would never be able to stop the Replica Cobra industry, so he decided he may as well get in on it too and started to make his own Cobra replicas.

I still think Shelby would prefer to put the replica car industry out of business, but as long as it's thriving, he may as well get his piece of the market.

Could you imagine if Rolex decided to follow the same logic and start making rep watches? :D

The Cobras made by Shelby are "continuation" caes and are not considered to be reps. Ther'e just moden gens and are considered to be so by motorsport's govening bodies. There are, f cause, many people makeing reps most of whome pay a lience fee to Shelby. The situation is the same for shuch cars as the Bugatti T35 historic GP cars and the Lola T70s ect. However there ARE rep cars the Itialian giverment regularly makes a scene in the press by publicly destroying rep Alfas and Ferraris. The reps on open sale that are not licenced by the origenal makers are just different enough to get away with under the law or are one offs made by their owners or of vehicles where the original maker is no longer arround to complain. My father in law is currently building a rep Lambo with a twin turbo Jag V12 in a propper spacefrome chassis. Can't wait till its finished. My brother in law has just purchesed a rep Ferrarri from the UK and is searching for a moden Ferreri V8 to go in it. That should be fun too.

Regards,

Col.

The Cobras made by Shelby are "continuation" caes and are not considered to be reps. Ther'e just moden gens and are considered to be so by motorsport's govening bodies.

I haven't followed the industry for years, but I do remember that when Shelby got back into building the Cobras, you could get them in 2 versions.

Version 1 was the modern continuation version you speak of. Aluminum body, round tube chassis, etc. Even the serial #s were some sort of continuation of the originals. They cost a fortune.

Version 2 was a fiberglass body less original chassis, etc. They were built and priced similar to the other reps.

I don't know if he still does them that way, it was probably 10 - 15 years ago.

I remember it as very much like the rep watch industry back then. Shelby tried for years, through the courts, to stop the other manufacturers from making their reps. It was only after those efforts were unsuccessful that he started making Cobras again. I remember that the other guys could legally make the cars, they just couldn't officially call them Cobras or sell any of the Cobra badges. You had to go to a 3rd party to get the badges. I also seem to remember that the licensing fee was some sort of compromise.

Maybe I'm way off, but that's how I remember things. Then again, they say the memory is the first thing to go. :D

i agree with The Zigmeister.. how come its so "cool" to have a replica cobra or a good ferrari rep but OH NO if you have a replica watch your a loser?

This article must be 10 years old or they are simply trying to convey the image that all replica watches are the canal street quality.. maybe they just dont know? Look how shocked buddy from Breitlingsource.com was when he was reviewing that rep BCE and Steelfish... The only differences were seen while looking through a loupe haha. I cant wait to get my new super avenger and compare it to a gen

The first three statements by this poor writer, besides of being false, clearly show how she is oriented to impress others:

1. A replica watch shows off what you really don't have

2. Almost anyone can tell a replica watch from an authentic one

3. A replica watch will actually impress no one

Statements #4-5-6-7-8-10 are clearly related, as others already pointed out, to low-end street reps, not the kind of reps we are used to.

...But statement #9 is a gem:

9. ...the widespread counterfeiting industry... is linked to major organised crime, drugs, prostitution and even people-smuggling. The producers of qenuine watches join efforts to fight counterfeiting and minimize its negative effects.

Agreed... it's all about "look at me and my expensive watch that others can't afford"...

People like that want it to appear more exclusive so they in turn look better and can impress people.

This was a reply to this article just a little further down the page, and I think it sums it up nice and tidy;

This article is rather useless as it only repeats old prejudices.

- Replicas can be quality timepieces, they are availeable with good quality movements.

- The statement that a replica owners just wants to impress others by wearing an expensive looking watch is not even close to the truth.

- Calling a rep owner cheap for that reason is pretty arogant.

- Good quality reps can be had for the costs of a full service of an expensive gen, even with swiss ETA movements.

- You can easily find a good watchsmith who will service a rep.

- I won't expect the author of this text to be able to tell the rep even in a side-by-side comparison if it is a quality piece.

Sorry, this article was not worth the time to write it, just old prejudice, but no real info.

PS - No, this was not my response, I wish it was since I do agree with every word.

RG

A few months ago, at a car show, a friend of mine was complaining about a rep ferrari being compared to the real thing (side by side) that were on display. When I pointed out that he was wearing a rep Tag that I had gotten for him.........he laughed.

That's great!! I prefer that this kind of propaganda still exists, it helps to keep our end of the hobby hidden from the mainstream.

my thoughts exactly.. the more people think that reps are something that they can tell apart from 20m away the less we need to strive to obtain a SUPER REP. After all we get super reps so we have the most acurate rep that is hard to tell apart. The more misconception about reps and the less people know about the "super-reps" the better for us really.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world that he didn

Personally I have enough money to buy a $10.000 watch but I find it rather boring. Instead of "being stuck" with one beautiful watch that I certainly would get bored with within a couple of months, I can get ten or more high quallity replica watches that are just as beautiful and with almost the same feel and quallity.

I love watches but I rather spend my money on expensive cars (hard to get replicas there) than on expensive watches when I can get the same watch for a tenth of the money.

By the way, I owned a genuine Rolex Explorer II and I sold it. Boring.

It

I buy reps surely for the enjoyment of experiencing the variety of models available. It costs fractions of a gen and with how good reps are, they satisfy my curiosity. At the end of the day though, nothing beats a gen. I collect both and enjoy collecting both. If I am going to buy a gen, I have to really love the watch. There is something about opening a brown package wrapped in EMS tape however. It feels like Christmas everytime I get one :)

...not that I don't think that article was oversimplified propaganda filled with half truths either. It's just that I think many here would agree that there is something in a watch which goes way beyond the cosmetic detail of a fine replica watch. There is that wonderful feeling of pride of owning something truly special and steeped in history and crafted with love and care which a rep just can't provide. Not that reps don't have their place too, but they will never fill that need for me. The intangibles to me are the most tangible of all...

Another one:

"Why do people buy fakes and what does it say about them?

Through years of studing fakes and talking with people about them, we have never heard any good justification for buying or wearing them... only excuses why some people believe they deserve the perception of owning 'luxury' products without having to go to the effort and expense to buy the real things.

Curiously, people who buy fakes seem to have a contradicting thought process. They act like it is 'only a name' when they choose a counterfeit product with a premium brand name on it. Counterfeit buyers seem to be ignorant of or ignore the real merits that make the genuine item far more valuable than the fakes--they just consider one watch to be about the same as any other.

But they obviously consider the luxury name brand important enough that they are willing to accept items of highly dubious quality and origin just to get that brand name on them. So we have yet to find how to interpret people's willingness to pay for counterfeit versions of 'the name'--especially when they have contempt for or ignorance of why the name is valuable--as anything other than wanting to cheaply impress themself and others.

Here's what buying and wearing fake/counterfeit watches really says about the wearer:

1. Poor Grasp of Value - Replicas are made to sell by looking like something far more valuable than they are. They are seldom made for quality, carry no warranty, are made from cheap parts and are usually not worth repairing. They are basically overpriced disposable products, so are a poor value for your money.

2. Lack of Integrity - Those that choose cheap replicas to try to impress others that they have a real luxury watch are using falsehoods to represent themselves. So that makes people wonder what else about how you represent yourself is false.

3. Weak Ethics - Choosing replica watches shows the world that you are willing to support unethical and illegal businesses--not giving a care about the ethics and legalities involved if they get in the way of getting something that you want cheaply.

4. Gullible - Especially where someone unknowingly buys a fake, they show themselves to be easily deceived and someone that throws caution to the winds trying to get a super deal on an expensive item.

5. Isolated - Certainly there are no clubs for owners of fakes. No comraderie among fellow owners. No sharing of tips, tricks and performance issues. No assistance with operation, warranty or repair issues. Fake buyers are on their own with nobody to care, nobody to help and nobody to compliment or encourage them--except for the occasional person you might encounter that doesn't know enough about watches to realize you are trying to 'impress' them with a cheap counterfeit."

There is that wonderful feeling of pride of owning something truly special and steeped in history and crafted with love and care which a rep just can't provide.

Do you seriously believe that in this day and age? Most of the luxury watch brands are owned by investment groups... They are not the same company that was started in the 1800s, blah blah blah. If your strictly a vintage collector I would agree with you, but do you really think modern day rolex cares about their lineage or selling watches (The answer is pretty obvious if you've seen their latest releases). And seriously how much of the current watch manufacturing market has been outsourced from switzerland/germany to china/india/thailand.

Certainly there are no clubs for owners of fakes.

hysterical6xi.gif

No comraderie among fellow owners.

hysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gif

No sharing of tips, tricks and performance issues.

hysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gif

No assistance with operation, warranty or repair issues.

hysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gif

Fake buyers are on their own with nobody to care

hysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gif

nobody to help and nobody to compliment or encourage them

hysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gif

except for the occasional person you might encounter that doesn't know enough about watches to realize you are trying to 'impress' them with a cheap counterfeit.

hysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gifhysterical6xi.gif

Oh my!

That made my day!

Thanks, JBond!

Yes I do believe that. If not history what else do we have any more? Nig business is a sign of the times but the traditions carry on. It is why I am attracted to watches and other things like them above all else actually. Our cultures are stripped of tradition. Don't get me started. And yes, there is no contest as to the level of skill that goes into making genuine watches when compared to reps. There is a very big and very obvious hole there. A watch is either made and assembled by a skilled watchmaker or it isn't. It is all in the details for me - and the details aren't whether the date font is thick enough or if the bezel insert is recessed. I'm talking about less than tangible things. To suggest that reps are the same as gens in that regard is absurd. Although I do realize that many truly cannot tell the difference and don't care or notice the details of which I speak and I am envious of them. Those people truly buy reps because they think gens are a ripoff and they pride themselves on owning something which is 99% accurate without paying the ridiculous markup that the Swiss demand. I wish I felt the same as it would save me a sh*tload of dough that I might use for more travel or other things I might not take advantage of due to a uncontrollable sickness - and its lofty budget. LOL.

Do you seriously believe that in this day and age? Most of the luxury watch brands are owned by investment groups... They are not the same company that was started in the 1800s, blah blah blah. If your strictly a vintage collector I would agree with you, but do you really think modern day rolex cares about their lineage or selling watches (The answer is pretty obvious if you've seen their latest releases). And seriously how much of the current watch manufacturing market has been outsourced from switzerland/germany to china/india/thailand.

I guess im the opposite spectrum, I'm moving away from gens. Tired of taking huge loss on resale when buying from an AD, long service times, and a serious case of watch OCD. Example since I know your a Nardin fan, I've been looking at a maxi marine limited because I dont expect an excellent rep in the near future. Best AD price is in the neighborhood of 8k but in the last month there was one posted on tz for $5850.

Up until the last 6 months, I basically considered reps throw aways for when I got tired of a design I'd get rid of it and try the next. Before the Nardin, the last Gen I looked at purchasing was an AP ROO... Tried the gen 2 years ago and almost pulled the trigger, bought the rep a month ago wore it a week, and its sitting in the basement on my workbench. Then reading ThomasNG's AP repair bill plus extended wait made me glad I still have 17k to spend elsewhere.

Edited by supermanx