When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Permanent fix for secs at 6 7750's

Guest avitt

As the owner of an IWC Portuguese Chrono, I've been keeping an eye on freddy333's posts on the powdered graphite fix for the chronic secs-at-6 problem.

Having an interest in hard coatings, I wondered if it might be possible to coat some the parts with Diamond Like Carbon (DLC). I knew that one of the primary commercial uses for DLC is for tribological coating of machine parts, F1 engines, etc. So I did a little research, and figured out that there was a precedent for using DLC on watch movement components. Specifically, Damasko has done some research, and determined that the boundary friction coefficients for dry DLC and steel are nearly as low as steel on an oiled jewel. (See the section entitled "The Oil-Free Escapment" on this site for more information on Damasko's findings.)

Having access to coating providers, I decided to give it a try by coating the one main plate that creates the most friction on the seconds at 6 7750. (I did not want to risk loss of damage by coating the actual gears).

With the DLC coating on the plate, combined with dry graphite on the gears, I'll be surprised if this movement ever fails due to excessive drag.

img3537jb2.jpg

That's very interesting. But there's only one way to know if it works... and it takes a few years. :)

Happy to endure the wait...with an Ultimate Porto Chrono on my wrist. ;)

I love it when people try things like this! It's how problems are solved.

You did your research and put your money where your mouth is. I don't see any reason why this should ever fail.

How difficult would it be for an average person... like me, to have DLC coating applied?

That is great thinking. Don't know if it will work, but you guys gotta admit that the collective mind around here is too cool to be believed. Thanks!

I second that.... (I believe it's called MPP "massively parallel processing")

Guys...I hope that you'll understand when I tell you that I won't be doing this mod for others.

Here is my reasoning:

I work on my own watches with the understanding that if I screw up, I can usually just spend more money to correct the problems. With that in mind, I probably break 1 item for every 2 that I fix...I accept that.

However, when working on someone else's watch, there is too much opportunity to mess something up (particularly when removing or setting chronograph hands, which is still challenging for me). I don't even encourage members to take the movement apart by themselves, as it is a pretty tedious process, and there is plenty of opportunity to break or lose small parts.

Therefore, I can only recommend that you contact a true professional, like The Zigmeister, for these types of mods. Thanks.

Very interesting proposition.

What would the estimated (ballpark) cost be for having said gears done? What kind've availability would members unlike yourself have to this process? Does something like this need to be done in large quantities?

• 2 weeks later...
Guys...I hope that you'll understand when I tell you that I won't be doing this mod for others.

Here is my reasoning:

I work on my own watches with the understanding that if I screw up, I can usually just spend more money to correct the problems. With that in mind, I probably break 1 item for every 2 that I fix...I accept that.

However, when working on someone else's watch, there is too much opportunity to mess something up (particularly when removing or setting chronograph hands, which is still challenging for me). I don't even encourage members to take the movement apart by themselves, as it is a pretty tedious process, and there is plenty of opportunity to break or lose small parts.

Therefore, I can only recommend that you contact a true professional, like Ziggy, for these types of mods. Thanks.

Avitt -- I could not agree more with your approach here. After suffering a couple of unavoidable mishaps with customers' 7750s, I have seriously limited my intake of additional work. These movements are so finicky, especially the hour totalizer components, that I always have to weigh the possibility of doing more damage by taking them apart against whatever the problem is & select between the lesser of 2 evils.

From what I read, the DLC treatment sounds like it could probably be used on its own. Since all of the 7750s I have treated with graphite continue to run without suffering any further secs-at-6 gearing-related issues, I think it is safe to say that powdered graphite provides a permanent fix as well. So we now have 2 tools in our arsenal available to treat this issue.

I love it when people try things like this! It's how problems are solved.

You did your research and put your money where your mouth is. I don't see any reason why this should ever fail.

How difficult would it be for an average person... like me, to have DLC coating applied?

Fully agree with this, and also with Freddy`s statement that there are now two remedies for this beautiful looking

IWC Portugese.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi

I think Bricciola or Francisco do this fix. They're both EU-based. The search should get you the needed information.

Val.

Hi

Francisco used to do graphite treatment but since its not working for all the watches i guess he is not doing it anymore, but you should ask him.

About bricciola he was saying that in his opinion DLC coating doesn't work (so i guess he doesn't do it as well) however avitt did it and his watches are working great last time i heard from him. Bricciola i think still does the graphite treatment but you should inquire them about these mods...

regards

Hugo

Guest avitt

I'm curious as to whether anyone who has had a DLC upgrade has experienced a subsequent failure...

I've purchased a few unused seconds-at-six movement from Concepta, and I'm thinking about performing the DLC upgrades, so they can just be directly installed in these Portos.

I'm curious as to whether anyone who has had a DLC upgrade has experienced a subsequent failure...

I've purchased a few unused seconds-at-six movement from Concepta, and I'm thinking about performing the DLC upgrades, so they can just be directly installed in these Portos.

Would that be DLC + graphite?

I think you may well have a market for such an offer as they would be cheaper than a gen movement and would fix a lot of broken Portos! :)

Would you be allowed to start a 'guaging interest' thread to see? You could take a deposit for the cost of the DLC work so you're not out of pocket, and if people default on paying for the end product, you could still sell the finished movements at no real loss to yourself :)