When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Another DSN victim...

Guest farquar

Guest farquar

So I ordered my first DSN watch because of his superior PVD coating. I knew all about his QC issues and the no paypal thing but...So the watch arrived, (A fantasy pvd 082 BTW, I'll shoot some pics when I get it back from my watchsmith if needed) movement gains 5 min. every hour no biggie, I'll have my watchsmith take a look at it (More money), no extra lug screws included as he promised, and what do you know one lug screw is stripped, ok I'll deal with that too somehow...But wait..The crown is not centered, sits too damn high..Which I cant deal with as it is a manifacturing fault. So I shoot him an email (As politely as possible) an this is the response I get:

no crown is centred in the rep world.

Your is 60/40 % indeed.

I have chekced the other 111h form other dealers.

Their 111h is 40/60 too...etc etc..

I tell him that I have numerous other pam reps, and even the crappy ones dont have this issue, that it may be a good idea to admit the design fault(Bad idea), but I would live with the crown but need some screws to put on a darn strap...He shuts me off and tells me to send it back for a refund..As rudely as possible with his broken english.

I cant believe this really...I know there are many members here on both sides regarding this guy..But what Im going thru just baffles me. I have dealt with various dealers, had numerous issues, but never got this treatment from no one(Never sent out a watch back to China either. I'd hate that. I can get a lot of things fixed locally). This guy charges a premium to start with+ you get hit when you're paying him, and have to go thru with this bulls...t is just fantastic. I hope the cartel gets the pvd thing right someday.

(Posted on RG too, sorry for the double post if you have read it over there)

Edited by farquar

Sorry for your experience, but at least you get a full refund. I understand some do not.

I was going to buy some parts from him about a month ago, but never did. Might have to eventually, but not today.

It's a shame really, because when he started out, I thought he was going to be a really good dealer. He was asking for our input and making changes, etc. I do not know what happened, maybe he just got burned out.

On my DSN 195 the crown is indeed not looking to be centerd, when compared with other PAMs.

The thing is the Crown does not actually appear to sit Higher against the bezel compared to my other PAMS, infact they all look the same, what appears to be causing this is that the Case appears to be somewhat thinner so the bottom part of the crown doesnt show as much below the CG. I agree that its not perfect but unless you find it impossible to wind then I think thats how they come, I really enjoy my PVD PAM despite its faults , and given some comments i recently had, the chicks dig it to . SO there you go

if you can post some pictures that would help

ST4

OK...just to spread good news as well and to take it up for DSN.

I ordered several watches and parts from DSN in the past, some did not come in my expected way, some shipments went wrong but most of my deals (90%) went smooth and easy and every issue was allways taken care of by him !

His communication might see some lacks, but hey...I cannot speak chinese as well :D

In the end it all depends the way you will approach someone....and don

Guest farquar
I'd wait for pics before passing judgement. I do believe his pvd cases are pre-v and therefore the crown position is higher then regular cases. At lease the ones I've seen have been this way and also had a different CG.

What kind of judgement do you need to pass? He does admit to this problem in his reply that I posted, so he is aware of it..He replies to it by pointing fingers to other dealers offerings basically. Its just how he describes, 60/40 situation. I will go check with my watchsmith today, see if I can pick it up.

BTW, none of the pams I own have this issue, even the cheapo Helenarou PVD, all dead centered..Im no pam expert by any means though...

Yes many of us dont speak Chinese..But many of us are not trying to sell goods to the Chinese either:)

Im not a perfectionist or anything, its the attitude I got from him that [censored] me off. I will live with a off centered crown. As long as the damn watch works and I can put a strap on it.

Edited by farquar

Guest farquar
I wonder why he is called a "trusted" dealer..?

The thread I started on RG is filled with members having problems with this guy, although I do realize he has many happy customers also..I shouldn't have to worry about if he got up from the right side of the bed on a given day.

Still I think maybe mods should chime in and give him a bit of spanking?. This is absolutely not a cool way to do business. I dont give a ratz ass how much the original watch costs, we are still paying this guy a good portion of our hard earned cash.

Edited by farquar

I wonder why he is called a "trusted" dealer..?

I've been really considering a DSN purchase. I just don't know another way to get a passable rep without having to mod. I should rephrase and say not having to mod immediately after receiving. Maybe that's the only way to be done correctly? I don't know. I will say that every negative DSN story has some sort of positive ending. In this case DSN offered not so nicely to refund the purchase. I could think of worse endings. Sorry to hear about your troubles farquar.

I've been really considering a DSN purchase. I just don't know another way to get a passable rep without having to mod. I should rephrase and say not having to mod immediately after receiving. Maybe that's the only way to be done correctly? I don't know. I will say that every negative DSN story has some sort of positive ending. In this case DSN offered not so nicely to refund the purchase. I could think of worse endings. Sorry to hear about your troubles farquar.

Buying from DSN is like playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in the cyclinder. 50/50 chance something isn't kosher. Uncle Jay had issues, I had issues (which were taken care of but still, the number of issues shouldn't have been there) and if you do a search of them, you will be able to read up on them. Search under my name and Uncle Jay's.

Buying from DSN is like playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in the cyclinder. 50/50 chance something isn't kosher. Uncle Jay had issues, I had issues (which were taken care of but still, the number of issues shouldn't have been there) and if you do a search of them, you will be able to read up on them. Search under my name and Uncle Jay's.

Appreciate the info. This DSN deal really sucks as he's the logical choice for a noob who's ready to pull the trigger on that ultimate 111H. I guess I'll keep watching the board to see if something pops up from a member. hopefully he comes back around. crap...

any ideas on a cartel h series to use as a base?

Guest farquar

Bong you better mail that sketch to the man himself... :p

Here are some crappy shots. Funny thing is Im not that anal about these irregularities, it got out of hand as soon as I spoke out about it to him, more worried about the movement(Now regulated) the stripped lug issue, or the damn scratch on the case(Dont know how that happened, im yet to strap this thing on, but the metal clearly shows, my watchsmith is convinced the coating wont last long..We shall see)

More like 70/30? Still much better than the unwindable ones people received from him though.

DSC01279.jpg

Here is a helenarou case:

DSC01281.jpg

Here is the scratch, barely visible:

DSC01276.jpg

Im not sending it back..If I remember correctly Uncle Jay had a lost(or confiscated?)return package and had to eat the losses. I rather keep it, if he refuses to send me springbars, I'll think of something.

I thought DSN was considered the shiz?

There's a key word in that sentance amigo: 'was' ;)

Given the issues Uncle Jay had, I don't think there are many who would now feel comfortable using DSN as a source for a whole watch. Parts, maybe, but not a watch...

I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again: DSN originally had one of the greatest ever ideas (and I'm sure at one time the best intentions) which was making and selling parts that fix the flaws present in the reps made by the "standard" factories. As it turned out he never had access to the skillsets and technology to pull even that niche off, but things really fell apart when he started offering complete watches. There's no crime in not being able to do something competently, but his current lack of customer service and general "f-youism" toward his customers IS wrong. How about we just stop buying his stuff? Simple as that, isn't it?

DSN's orginal idea is still wide open for anyone in the right location with access to the right technology. IMO, anyone who can actually produce parts of equal quality to rep parts, but which fix the common flaws, will make nice little income for themselves. I really hope someone actually gives it a go.

DSC01279.jpg

Here is a helenarou case:

DSC01281.jpg

OK I just don't see it? Look at the where the DSN Crown covers the Base of the watch and then where at the top it meets the bezel? its the same as the HR , I think its the CG , can you put the HR CG on the DSN? What does that look like.

I have a Panerai Book an on the inside cover is a side shot of an Auto...........the Crown looks just like yours and its supposed to be a Gen.

I'm not defending DSN here, I agree his manner is abrupt and far from friendly at times, I just don't think your watch is that Bad...............also whose PVD do you prefer HR's or DSN'?