When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Macbook, any good?

pollux1

As the title suggests, is the Apple macbook any good? It's a 2.1 ghz core 2 duo, 1 gb ram, 120 gb hdd, 13 inch screen. I've been offered one for a competitive price but I have no knowledge of them except for Apple's ipod touch and iphone which are pretty great! All opinions welcome!

MacBooks are great, I have one for work. No problems, decent battery life, good looking screen. And I run Parallels (virtual PC software) to do anything I need Windows for. In fact, the only issue I have is maybe 1:50, Parallels up and quits, no explanation.

I've always found Macs to be much simpler (without limiting functionality) than Windows machines. Sure, either works, but what you mention about iPods holds true, their OS has that same sleek feel no one has been able to replicate.

I'm typing this on one.

Get it, unless you need a gamer's laptop.

Thanks for the input Pug, tbh I don't play any games apart from the occasional game of CS:source, and even that would be once or twice a year. I must admit the price is a giveaway. I have it in front of me, brand new boxed, well it was anyway! It looks amazing! The first thing that impressed me was the lit Apple logo on the back of the screen! I know, I'm just a big kid!

Guest carlsbadrolex

I have had the first GEN white Macbook, the second gen C2D black Macbook and now a MacBook Pro. They have all performed flawlessly. Check the Apple website for their factory refurbished units... Good deals with the same warranty!

Hi,

I switched to Mac a couple of years ago. It was a good move.

My first Mac is this first gen MacBook upon which I am typing this.

The hardware is great and OS X (Leopard) was wonderful to use.

As other posters have pointed out, this is not a gaming unit.

The reason is that it has shared graphics rather than a dedicated card.

This puts strain on the system.

Re: Windows - out of curiosity I have tried Parallels and VM Fusion. I found the latter to run faster and smoother.

The best solution for me was to ditch Windows. That was easier than giving up smoking!

I now have an iMac which I love.

Buying advice: Apple are due an imminent MacBook update, so if you can hold off, and can buy new, then wait a few weeks.

There is a great site full of excellent buying advice called MacRumors.

www.macrumors.com

Visit the site, and look for the buying guide section for first class info.

Make the switch, you won't be sorry.

Jon

I have a Black Macbook for over a year now and love it. Running Os X and WinVista (depending of what I want)

When I got it, the Macbook was the best value for a 13.3" laptop. Now Dell have a cheap one, but still with all the comparative item, you won't pay that much more for Apple product.

• 2 weeks later...