When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

DSRD Vintage Bezel Insert and Pearl

lanikai

With Ubi's method to vintage the bezel and bruce79's vintage method on the pearl... one variation .. I used wood stain instead of varnish..

I used the stock MBK bezel insert.. practicing with this before I do the 1680 and the 1665 DRSD..that Ziggy Modded... until my confidence level is apropriate.. but I am very happy with the results.. just these simple alterations give the MBK out of the box rep.. a very nice vintage appeal..I posted pics to show that even I can do this.. so have fun with yours... and thanks to Ubi and b79.. :D

1665vintagebezel008fy7.jpg

1665vintagebezel007hu7.jpg

1665vintagebezel002rs4.jpg

1665vintagebezel014zr1.jpg

1665vintagebezel012sw0.jpg

Wow Lani, posting movement tutorials and aging methods... some of our modders might have some competition soon....with the added bonus that Lani's service includes tanning for your watches on a tropical island... for the water resistance test he can just wear your watch while surfing / swimming for a day!!

B)

Wow Lani, posting movement tutorials and aging methods... some of our modders might have some competition soon....with the added bonus that Lani's service includes tanning for your watches on a tropical island... for the water resistance test he can just wear your watch while surfing / swimming for a day!!

B)

thank you shundi.. but I wouldn't call this competition for modders.. it was too simple and easy.. but fun since i didn't destroy it :)

@silvio..... better lucky than good ...

Looks good to me :p

You need a gen Pearl than it looks perfect.

thanks Tribal ... Yeah .. I need to order some from ofrei think I'll do that this week..IO used the out of the box insert to see what it would look like.. and to make sure I didn't mess up..

Hi Tribal,

I can't compete with you :rolleyes: on this, but I had some personal experience of a too "greenish pearl" from ofrei vintage (5513 ...) insert while the watchmaterial looks definitely closer (I would say identical!) to my brother's genuine GW.

Maybe pearls can vary one from another?

No man,

Watch material for modern Subs.

Offrei for Vintage Rollies, they have good acrylic Pearl.

Hi Tribal,

I can't compete with you :rolleyes: on this, but I had some personal experience of a too "greenish pearl" from ofrei vintage (5513 ...) insert while the watchmaterial looks definitely closer (I would say identical!) to my brother's genuine GW.

Maybe pearls can vary one from another?

I have never seen Vintage one from watch material,do you have Pics..?

Thats really interesting...

I have not really experience with aftermarket Vintage Pearls I use gen ones ;)

Steve,

That's a modern pearl for sapphire models :)

There are two types-

Vintage:

IMG_1943a.jpg

and modern:

IMG_2222.jpg

Biggest difference is that the vintage is a tiny little acrylic dome filled with luminous from the back (tritium, luminova or superluminova for current service replacements). The modern sapphire pearls have the white gold surround, and the luminous is covered by a small dome of some sort of 'glass' (material is unknown to me) :)

Hope ths helps!

Looks great, R! The faded tone is a nice compliment to the vintage SD; even more so as it looks as though the dial is also lightly faded as well?

As for pearls... A nice vintage pearl can also add a lot of character as well :)

IMG_3444.jpg

(old pic)

IMG_1943.jpg

IMG_1943a.jpg

(new pics)

Looking good, sir! B)

Thank you Ubi... TMG.. and again Tribal.. now I have a hard time lookinb at the other vintage reps that rob already did his art work on.. it jus does not match with the very BLACK insert.. I practiced with the out of the box insert that came with the NBK..now I can order the pearl and do the deal with the better insert.. can't wait.. thanks to you guy's.. ;)