When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watchmaker services - wish list - edited - proposed servics

fotoman

Ok - this is a very preliminary idea - haven't run it by admin - and haven't run the deal by my watchmaker - but, i'm going to go speak with him tomorrow and talk about the possibility of servicing the forum. This would be done through me, as he doesn't do internet, 1 and 2, doesn't speak english. and i doubt he wants those packages coming and going from his shop.

So - i would like to see a wishlist of services that people need - and also what you might be willing to pay for the service.

that way i can talk to him to see if he is interested, then talk to admin to see about the details and maybe bring it to fruition.

please not, i will not be working on these watches at all - they will be done by my watchmaker. i will however, be handling the shipping and handling.

This service will be CONUS only - no border crossings.

i do not know about turn around time - but, since he is a watchmaker full time as opposed to ziggster who is part time, i anticipate it would be better than that. - could be as early as 2 weeks turn around. -

Also, at first, i don't think i want to give him any modded 7750s, so, no seconds at 12, 3 and 6 - not yet anyway

I know for a fact he does full breakdown and servicing - like The Zigmeister does remove all gears and mainspring yadda yadda - not a dip in the bath like RBJ - don't know about relum ing -

So - give me a list - and lets see who needs what - there may be difficulty sourcing some parts, as we don't have an old drawer of rep mov'ts like zig does. -we'll have to see how that goes

lets start with - and if its listed and you need it, write it to so i can see the demand - a

servicing 7750

servicing simple mov'ts

crystal removal for CHIEF ar coat

replace hands

replace dial

non-working simple mov't

non-working asian 7750

polishing brushing case/bracelet

Ok - this is a very preliminary idea - haven't run it by admin - and haven't run the deal by my watchmaker - but, i'm going to go speak with him tomorrow and talk about the possibility of servicing the forum. This would be done through me, as he doesn't do internet, 1 and 2, doesn't speak english. and i doubt he wants those packages coming and going from his shop.

So - i would like to see a wishlist of services that people need - and also what you might be willing to pay for the service.

that way i can talk to him to see if he is interested, then talk to admin to see about the details and maybe bring it to fruition.

please not, i will not be working on these watches at all - they will be done by my watchmaker. i will however, be handling the shipping and handling.

This service will be CONUS only - no border crossings.

i do not know about turn around time - but, since he is a watchmaker full time as opposed to ziggster who is part time, i anticipate it would be better than that. - could be as early as 2 weeks turn around. -

Also, at first, i don't think i want to give him any modded 7750s, so, no seconds at 12, 3 and 6 - not yet anyway

I know for a fact he does full breakdown and servicing - like The Zigmeister does remove all gears and mainspring yadda yadda - not a dip in the bath like RBJ - don't know about relum ing -

So - give me a list - and lets see who needs what - there may be difficulty sourcing some parts, as we don't have an old drawer of rep mov'ts like zig does. -we'll have to see how that goes

lets start with - and if its listed and you need it, write it to so i can see the demand - a

servicing 7750

servicing simple mov'ts

crystal removal for CHIEF ar coat

replace hands

replace dial

non-working simple mov't

non-working asian 7750

polishing brushing case/bracelet

I've got 3 or 4 watches that need servicing right now. I would definitely be a customer. I also have some extra watches that I could donate to help out with spare parts if need be.

swapping movements would require new hands on alot of models

This is true, plus sometimes other parts as well - you might scare him off of servicing reps entirely.

I would say start him off slow, servicing ETA reps and Asian 7750s - probably a popular package of teardown, clean, reassemble, relube and adjust. I'd pay $200 for a well done job.

After he's used to doing repair by mail order and used to working with reps he can expand the services as he feels comfortable.

Lume--MOST IMPORTANT

Day/Date wheel swap

Fix Asian 7750

Servicing

It's about time. The ConUS needs more things like this--it seems everything is geared toward the EU members!

back before we scared him off we had The Zigmeister :)

just fyi - i have taken to him my stuff to swap movements - he has ordered me a gen dial and installed it, popped out a bunch of crystals - installed 3 skeleton mov'ts into my case- with hands obviously.

i did take him a seconds at 6 that i asked him to glue the 6 seconds - he did that nicely.

i have seen him service movements - all the pieces in the little dish.

he has glued on lume markers on noobmariner that fell off.

polished and brushed stuff up for me.

i'm not sure of the procedure for datewheel swaps - so we'll have to give that a try and see how it goes.

this guy isn't a hobbyist like The Zigmeister or others - this is his business - where, The Zigmeister gets joy out of solving problems and working on watches - this guy has a business to run - so likely the stuff that takes alot of trial and error or is more creative, we either won't do or at least do right away - The Zigmeister is VERY good at making square pegs go into round holes - so, i don't think my guy is the answer to that.

thanks - keep the suggestions coming, i'm getting a good idea of what i need to talk to him about.

swapping movements would require new hands on alot of models

On the 28.8k 7750 -> ETA 7750 The Zigmeister has a method of fitting the (larger) hands to the (smaller) ETA posts. When you go in the opposite direction (smaller holes -> larger posts) then you can broach. It depends on the capabilities of the watch smith.

back before we scared him off we had ziggy :)

I didn't get scared off...I sit quietly in the background now that's all... :) And as you already said, it's a hobby for me, only so many hours in the day.

It's about time. The ConUS needs more things like this--it seems everything is geared toward the EU members!

I think the opposite is true, EU members have little watchsmith selection at their disposal, at least the numerous posts asking for anyone who does mods in the EU to speak up, would seem to indicate this.

Finding someone who does both quality work and charges a fair price, hasn't yet taken place in the US, hopefully this will fill the need.

RG

ok, here is the update - had the preliminary meeting - he wants to give it a try.

he will be getting me a price list within a week.

I'm in communications with the board to figure out how to set up with them.

i will have to setup an infrastructure for me to receive and dispatch packaging and not get [censored] confused.

We are going to take baby steps here folks -

Here are the proposed initial services

Mov't servicing / Repair

eta/clones

(no strange 7750 layouts)

Repair will be done on a estimate basis with a minimum charge +shipping

Crystal Removal (to send to chief)

Crystal Replacement

Dial replacement

Hand Replacement

mov't replacement (if all parts are provided - such as correct hand sizes)

RELUME!!! - only on simple dials and hands- i.e. no iwc cousteau

panerais, rolex, breitlings should be ok.

Right now he has a lume, but its not SuperLuminova - i need someone to point me to the exact one we use so he can order it.

unfortunately, this wont be a cheap service, but i will do my best to price it reasonably. The more expensive items, i.e. servicing will be much more reasonable than the cheaper items - i.e. if your sending in a watch just to change some hands - by the time y ou ship it, we ship it back, watchmaker works on it - anyway - we'll do our best.

i will setup an email address in order to service this new setup.

I would take advantage of the relume with SuperLuminova, most definitely. :good: The few watches I own would all get sent in eventually.

Oh, hey, what about WATER PROOFING?

well, there is no such thing as waterproofing. If someone wants to come up with something they want him to do, we can create something, but "lubing and tighting the case - is BS RBJ stuff, i can say that if the watch comes in, it will be properly worked on - i don't know of anyone reputable that guarantees waterproofing :)

Pho,

I think this is really commendable of you, but I'd be concerned about what you might be getting yourself into as the intermediary.

I'm sure that The Zigmeister would share one or two horror stories about members who couldn't be satisfied, watches that couldn't be repaired, or issues with watches that got lost in the mail, etc.

Also, there might be a fair amount of hassle for you even with the most agreeable of members and service requests. Would this watchmaker pay you a commission for serving as his front office?

Some questions to consider.

Best regards.