When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Genuine Datejust 116200

RobbieG

Some folks had asked that I shoot my rhodium roman Datejust and I made an attempt today and ran out of time and since I started too late, good light. But I hate to have even something and not post it so here goes. I really love this watch. So substantial despite its size, yet elegant. Love it with any long sleved shirt - and not just suits (Not that I wear them anymore anyway). BTW, it wears way bigger than you think and these things go with anything and due to the brushed and polished surfaces look like a trillion dollars on the wrist. Bling city, but not a friggin clock so it plays very classy despite - and way less pimpish - LOL...

A full pictorial will follow as well as a comparison to the best reps around as well. In fact, I just sold my rep of this a few days ago. This is an M serial and as such made this year. The only real difference between the gen in the rep is that the newer cases have slightly wider lugs giving the appearance of a larger watch. The rep is still based on the early F serial profile which has a case with more narrow and tapered lugs more like the Day Date. Of course that case is also correct for an older watch. The gen has applied white gold numerals and white gold/rhodium hands and dial. The rep dial is not really rhodium and as such isn't as rich in grey color, nor does it have the very subtle mauve and blue and bronze overtones which are seen at many angles on the gen. But you would never notice those details unless you held the gen side by side. The bottom line is that they don't get much press, but the best quality DJ reps are some of the most accurate out of the box watches around.

Sorry about the quick and dirty pics and they kind of suck with no good setups or post processing, but I figured I would post what I had until I have a chance to finish what I started. Enjoy...

Datejust4.jpg

Datejust3.jpg

Lots of government workers here in Canada wear these types of watches, a friend of mine has pretty much exact same one as Robbie except with stick markers and a white face. I don't know why they are so popular with that particular crowd, however.

Just awesome man. Always loved the white equally as well. Although one of these days I'm gonna splurge before I die and get a glacier/ice blue dial. I'll probably opt for the Day Date though for that one. That is my all time favorite dial color, with the rhodium and white tied for second...

it's a 116200, 36mm, Z-serial, year 2007

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=72569

b4b53f85.jpg

one of these days I'm gonna splurge before I die and get a glacier/ice blue dial. I'll probably opt for the Day Date though for that one. That is my all time favorite dial color, with the rhodium and white tied for second...

Agree with you 100%. I think the the glacier/ice blue dial is only available for the Day Date, and not the Datejust. Though I could be wrong.

Close. Glacier is only available in the platinum watch for either the Day-Date or the Datejust. You don't see many DJ's with that dial though. It sucks because the PT lists for like 47K as opposed to nearly half that for WG. It is a shame that you can't get it in WG and save all that dough. You can get them for 25% off pretty routinely if you know what AD to use though. Still, you are looking at 30k plus which is a shame. The PT watch with President bracelet is super solid and heavy though. Amazing. One of my two grail watches at the moment - that and a Lange 1 in PT. No Glacier pics ever do it justice. I looks really elegant and masculine in person...

glacier.jpg

glacier3.jpg

As a side note another cool Day-Date is in Everrose with the Thitian MOP Roman dial on Oyster bracelet. That is amazing too. I usually hate rose gold, but Rolex rose gold is just the most subtle and rich color. Also amazing and about half the cost of the PT...

tahitianrose.jpg

Agree with you 100%. I think the the glacier/ice blue dial is only available for the Day Date, and not the Datejust. Though I could be wrong.

Oh yes, 40MM has its place too. These are not something that most would want as an all around watch, atthough I could live with it. Of course I've come full circle on the big watch thing and have come to the conclusion that 35-38MM needs to have as much of a presence in my collection as the larger ones. Interestingly, I tend to leave 40MM out though personally. I have the 36-38 camp and the 42-44 camp, with nothing over 44MM except the Millenary but that is oblong so it doesn't really count. I may break that if I get a Skyland and push it to 45MM but that is it for me. I had a BP and sold it as well as a Navi World at one time that met the same fate. Both were just cartoonish on me despite 7 1/2" wrists. I just don't get the gargantuan size thing unless a guy is a really big dude - like Bytor or someone. But even he flocks to 40-44MM's only. Anyway, the point is really that I have let smaller watches back in and I'm really happy about it as they bring something which can't be had with larger pieces. What I love most is that the design really has to hold up on smaller watches in order for it to still pop visually. I think it is more of an admirable design feat when a watchmaker really nails a smaller watch.

Close. Glacier is only available in the platinum watch for either the Day-Date or the Datejust. You don't see many DJ's with that dial though.

OK that makes sense. Don't think I've ever seen a DJ with that dial. In the meantime, though, I think the rhodium datejust you've got there is absolutely gorgeous and a very suitable substitute. I'm going to be giving my brother a franken-gen DJ that will have the rhodium with roman marker dial soon. I think it's the most elegant, and yet somehow also works with jeans and a T shirt. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I wish I had half your skills to do a so called 'kwik and dirty' pictorial of my gens. Some of those pics shame Rolex's own site IMO.

Never liked the Datejust before this but I'm starting to think it's a design classic. That said I'd still take an Explorer in front of one (my Wife did!)

To me, the Oyster bracelet and smooth bezel is the whole thing. I never cared for the more classic fluted bezel/jubilee bracelet as much. And for the Day-Date's the smooth bezel and President bracelet is the only way as well. The fluted bezel to me is what really turns them into the sort of "old man's watch". Liek Chief said, the watch can crossever and work with jeans (but IMO still you need a long sleve with this one - rolled upi with the watch just outside) and the Oyster/smooth is what makes that possible by adding the sporty touch to it.

I wish I had half your skills to do a so called 'kwik and dirty' pictorial of my gens. Some of those pics shame Rolex's own site IMO.

Never liked the Datejust before this but I'm starting to think it's a design classic. That said I'd still take an Explorer in front of one (my Wife did!)

To me, the Oyster bracelet and smooth bezel is the whole thing. I never cared for the more classic fluted bezel/jubilee bracelet as much. And for the Day-Date's the smooth bezel and President bracelet is the only way as well. The fluted bezel to me is what really turns them into the sort of "old man's watch". Liek Chief said, the watch can crossever and work with jeans (but IMO still you need a long sleve with this one - rolled upi with the watch just outside) and the Oyster/smooth is what makes that possible by adding the sporty touch to it.

Yea I agree. The one I'll be giving my brother will have the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. It's the slightly older style, though... Matte finish oyster 78360, and beveled smooth bezel (as opposed to the newer rounded smooth bezel). I think this style serves perfectly as a crossover.

Yeah, the brushed finish on the older ones makes the sporty crossover easier for sure. It is all in the Rolex steel and precious metals too. It seems like no steel looks or shines like Rolex steel - brushed or polished . Every watch they make with alternating brushed/polished surfaces just looks like a trillion dollars on the wrist. And the Platinum with the even "whiter" patina? Fuhgettaboutit...

Yea I agree. The one I'll be giving my brother will have the smooth bezel and oyster bracelet. It's the slightly older style, though... Matte finish oyster 78360, and beveled smooth bezel (as opposed to the newer rounded smooth bezel). I think this style serves perfectly as a crossover.