When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Might be just me but..........The forums arent what they used to be

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About members asking questions that have been asked before, I know, it annoys me aswell sometimes, because I've been around the forums for 4 years, however I hate forums where Mods start closing threads and cussing at members because they need this to boost their self-esteem.

I like the atmosphere here... most of the time!

Try posting in german Apple forums and you will know what I mean. You always risk getting your testies cut off by some crazy Mod for asking even the most complex questions!

You guys have been great contributors. I read all the reviews but rarely comment (although I should). I might visit twice a day, but am usually rushed cause I never have enough time in my day. Don't let the fact that your reviews are not appreciated. They are.......Big Time.

As for all the new members, isn't that a good thing?

Alot of people (myself included) simply got used to receiving feedback via the (now defunct) real-time rating system that made it easy to comment on others' posts & wristies. I understand the Admin's reasoning for removing the ratings system, but I remain unconvinced that the overhead it added (not to mention the tedious scrolling/paging required to make our way through what, previously, were more easily navigable & informative threads) could possibly equate to having scores of additional posts of comments being added just to respond with a quick 'Good', 'Bad', etc., comment.

I sure miss the grade system to , it was great in the wrist check , it really made RWG different and was one of it USP's it was fun to getthe odd zing now and again, I wish it was still here.

I still feel a newb here most of the time , but I am beginning to tire of the same 177 or 111 questions and that concernns me, there seems to be many newbs but fewer pictures ?

ST4

As a self professed noob, yep I still feel like a noob most of the time, I rely on many of you folks to lead the way. I doubt that I'll ever get to where many of you are today, but I can sure aspire to be one day. Many times I don't contribute, other than one-liners, usually because I feel that I'll just stick my foot in my mouth. So I just do what I feel that I can, which is just to be here and be part of the team. I wish there would be a sticky on, "how to conduct your first review". Then maybe others, myself included, will give it a go and you the "experets" can give creative feedback and help us along. I mean isn't that how we ensure that our hobby has continuity of life? Unless the experts, who obviously make up the backbone of this hobby, are helping, encouraging and teaching the noobs who will? How will all that precious knowledge and "how to" be transferred to the next generation without someone taking the time and effort to "pass" it along? Being at the top is usually a lonely place and a thankless job, but I'd assume that you'd get your rewards in a different way and from different sources. Of course, I do understand that one would need to have the desire to want to "pass" on their expertise and knowledge in the first place.

Like the others have already said, we do see our share of ups and downs, but overall I think we've got a good place here and sure hope that EVERYONE, vets and noobs included, will continue to contribute and make this the great place this is.

I'd also like to be the first to salute all of you who have a thankless job for taking time out of all your busy schedules and lives to make this place the place it is. I know that it's thankless and it must be annoying when things don't always work the way things should, but I'd think that's why this is a community rather than a class. How boring would it be if we just have teachers and students rather a coming together of various indivduals to share and exchange ideas?

I think TeeJay sums it in a way.

I'm certainly not old enough in the forums to have a long term view but maybe it's just a natural thing.

Reviews: it's true that the lack of responses is not very nice, we've all noticed that.

That said, we cannot expect everybody to spend their entire day to read and comment every single new thread.

Also, for members like By-Tor or Pugwash in example, we cannot hope they will review every single watche that comes out.

We all have our favourites and once we own them and reviewed them, well what more can be done?

That is why I am in favour of the recently seen reviews where a dealer sends a watch to a member like the Tribal/Eurotimez one.

And on top of all, new comers are the blood of RWG.

Among them are the future reviewers ;)

Noob: I hate that term. It's ridiculous and insulting.

As I said before we are all Noobs. I'm a total ingnorant noob when it comes to Breitling and will remain forever.

New comers ask stupid questions? I would say no question is stupid.

It's a bit like an older member with expererience in Submariner would be the father of a new comer.

Shouldn't a father patiently answer all the questions of their sons ?

In most of the cultures around the globe it's old persons who teach younger. Why would it be different here?

The search? Well how many times did you fail when searching a specific answer and used the search for hours?

Friendship: That is in my humble opinion the most important point here.

5 years ago I doubt there was so many members in the forums.

Since 2008 my feeling is that we are numerous to have established closer relationship.

Look at all these G2G from the US to Singapore or in EU.

Remember all the nice gesture we saw here and imagine how many nice ones are done in the background without any publicity.

Of course, like in any other community we have some members who constantly look for troubles and controversy. But they are an extreme minority.

Conclusion.

Yes RWG has changed.

And that is good.

Without changes, evolution, adaptation so many things disappeared from the planet.

I prefer to see RWG follow the evolution of the human race than become the next dinausore.

Cheers

Stephane

I joined the rep forums in 4/07, mostly RWG1. Just a year and a half. But it seems longer because I've been buying reps for 2+ years.

Today's forums are old news for old dogs, but new news for noobs. It's new and refreshing for noobs. A discovery.

Remember being taken in by the fake review sites? No? Many are. The scammers like Bluef**ks, Go Replicas, et.al. How refreshing it is to land here after slogging through that quagmire.

I try to comment on review threads with real, meaningful comments, but most don't appreciate them. My kind of pictoral "reviews" seem to satisfy most. Just pictures with a few comments.

Things, and people, do change.

Still, noobs need a safe place to land, a place where they are safe from being ripped off.

I could talk all day on this but why bother.

Here's what really caught my eye.

Try posting in german Apple forums and you will know what I mean. You always risk getting your testies cut off by some crazy Mod for asking even the most complex questions!

How much can you possibly talk about apples? They're refreshing, crunchy and delicious. :p

I received my 1st rep 8 years ago from my brother who bought it from Phat Pon (Bangkok). It was a Breitling Navitimer. Being an ignorant teen then, that watch was a big thing for me. I loved the watch so much that I wore it everyday. Then, I have no idea of online rep community. No idea of movement, date dial etc. A watch is a just watch to me. Thus when the watch strap gave way, there was no one to turn too. I assumed there was no rep friendly watchmakers around Singapore.

Fast forward to 2008. It was by chance I come across RWG and it has been a revelation. The info, the wisdom, the camaraderie, the humour and the occasional abuses here make this forum alive and full of energy. When I dug deep and read all the excellent reviews and how-to posts, the experience was mind-blowing. Those posts were created long ago but trust me, they MADE deep impact for a new comer like me. I am pretty sure newcomers present and future all appreciate the posts and advices from the veterans.

2 weeks ago I received my 1st rep (the 2000 Breitling Navitimer aside) and I even attended the Singapore gtg last weekend and make new friends!

I am not exaggerating but all this won't be possible w/o RWG. :)

this is all cyclic, sometimes we get bored of everything and regain interest when we realise that things are really ok and that details that bother us aren't as such... just like the first 3 years of relationship, or the itch of the 7th year...

besides, if you want to have good friends, start by being one. Feedback is everything here, the consequences of just one post can affect inmensly in the direction of the board's future. Just imagine what a post from a ralex agent would do here.

so if we keep on being optimist and seeding in good spirit, we'll grow a forum rich in healthy interactions.

let's keep it simple, let's keep it happy.

cheers!

Chino.

I could talk all day on this but why bother.

Here's what really caught my eye.

How much can you possibly talk about apples? They're refreshing, crunchy and delicious. :p

Apple is the fruit of the internet. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There's, um, Apple kebabs, Apple creole, Apple gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple Apple and lemon Apple, coconut Apple, pepper Apple, Apple soup, Apple stew, Apple salad, Apple and potatoes, Apple burger, Apple sandwich... That's, that's about it.

Stupid is as stupid does. ;)

Some of my reviews (unless they're articles of the hot new Rolex or Planet Ocean) got very little attention. I predict my upcoming Ebel Discovery article will get 7-10 replies and 200-300 views. If you use just "common sense", it's definitely not worth all the effort... photography, design, article, layouts, etc. But I keep doing them, because I like it... not because I want attention and/or recognition. It's still a lot of fun for me.

Some reviews of "mainstream" watches get much better response. That's just how it is... and how it has always been. I don't think this has changed much. Very few people actually reply to these reviews and show that they appreciate them. Or maybe they simply don't have the interest? Or maybe these things just started to annoy you more... and perhaps you "burned out"?

I wish I had more opportunity to do more reviews...but I haven't had a chance to buy any more reps as of late. I enjoyed writing what I have posted, and do it more to see something up there that may be of interest to even that one person who may have written a response...because that 1 person may be the new super poster, or the new SD4K uber-reviewer...you just never know.

I have to say, all the reviews you've put up By-Tor are well appreciated by me!! Same goes for the rest of the "old gang". The photography and layout work is very inspiring!

Guys,

I have been in the rep game for too long without finding safe havens like RWG I and RWG II. Without these forums, rep collection is a souless hobby. A competition of who has the most moolah to buy the most reps.

These forums provide an avenue for the knowledgeable to impart what they know and for the newbies to learn.

Noobs NEED safe havens like RWG. Noobs NEED the guidance and the experts should impart wat they want to impart. Noobs will always ask first, think later. Can't help it. Its the sheer adrenalin rush of finding this place. I remembered that my first question here was where to find a replacement crystal for my fiddy (hey...how was i to know that replacement crystal were a dime a dozen!!!!). Lukewarm response but I didn't care....I read thru the threads and thank god I did. My posts are more calculated nowadays. Hopefully

Wih regards to contribution to pictorials. My Olympus P&S POS just doesn't measure up. Lets not even go to the knowledge of lightings and light tents and angles etc etc etc.... I don't want to be posting f*&%d up pictures eating up bandwidth... Have you guys seen my pictures? A retard who smokes with too much caffeine in his system has no business behind a camera. No business whatsoever but I am learning to take better pixtures. Trust me... the current and old pictorials are very much appreciated even if they are not responded to. The alternative (my pictorials) will just scar your retinas.

So what do you guys think of the Pentax KD100 Super??? Ooppps... there I go thread crapping again.

We all agree that this is the golden age of rep watches correct? So whats up with the pessimism?

I think the pessimism on the forum is a reflection of the pessimism in America today. The poor state of its economy is given constant negative press and reports of about how bad things are and how much worse things are going to get are on every news channel. I believe this wears on people and begins become part of their every day focus whether they consciously realize it or not. When things are easy and good people are usually happier and more positive about their situation. Now it is the opposite. I think it is a sign of the times and eventually all will change again. As for myself I have learned and continue to learn far more than I can possibly give back to the forum. I try to contribute where I can, but reviews and how to's are best left to those who know what they are doing. This is a good place it is just the times are a little hard right now for people. I'd like to think that there are better days ahead. Cheers :)

I think the pessimism on the forum is a reflection of the pessimism in America today.

Could be. But keep in mind that more than half of the RWG members don't come from America... and we only have a few US-based members in the admin team.

I think the pessimism is just normal for some seasoned members, who have lost their passion for this hobby. It probably goes in cycles. I think Doc just needs a few new watches. :)

I think the pessimism on the forum is a reflection of the pessimism in America today.

Right, because ... oh, By-Tor beat me to it. :)

I think Doc's not the only one that needs a new watch. I think I'll need to get a Homer Tourbillon in Rose Gold on payday. :D

I also wonder what the pessimism is all about. Do you remember what we were raving about two years ago??

Today's reps are heads and tails above them. I too complain about the price, but I live in the US so I'm always complaining about the price of things that come from abroad.

Price aside, I still have my enthusiasm for the current crop of reps. I wish I was starting out now, Instead of having 70+ reps that are at least a year, and sometimes 5 years old. My collection would be extremely accurate.

There are still a ton of great reps for under $250. I was still happy to pay $400 for a great Pam rep 2-3 years ago!

So from my point of view, reps have gone up like everything else, but comparatively speaking, they're still a great deal!

Maybe the pessimism comes from Overload?

I think Doc's not the only one that needs a new watch. I think I'll need to get a Homer Tourbillon in Rose Gold on payday. :D

A new watch helps (temporarily) to many frustrations... but "Tourbillon Rose Gold" sounds like you have BIG frustrations. :D