When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Might be just me but..........The forums arent what they used to be

Do people not wonder where you have the mullah to buy a new mega thousand dollar watch every month? :)

In my office, only one person ever noticed I wore more than one watch. I told him I collect reps and since then, him and a friend now have reps. Yes, there are three of us in the office with reps; they both have Subs, unsurprisingly.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest London luke

forums can be like bangkok massage parlors . many post only to feed their egos and to be part of forum mafias. ive seen so many forums where the "old boys" get upset and start to throw their weight and toys around. if they dont like it they can move on or demand the forum is closed to new members etc

i think (as mentioned to a mod last night) Many will have no other "form of life" its just watches watches and more watches !!some can be so anal about it and treat it like a religion

Post for the benefit of just one. If more benefit then so much the better . You want to be "treated like a god" then turn water into wine.

forums can be like bangkok massage parlors . many post only to feed their egos and to be part of forum mafias. ive seen so many forums where the "old boys" get upset and start to throw their weight and toys around. if they dont like it they can move on or demand the forum is closed to new members etc

i think (as mentioned to a mod last night) Many will have no other "form of life" its just watches watches and more watches !!some can be so anal about it and treat it like a religion

Post for the benefit of just one. If more benefit then so much the better . You want to be "treated like a god" then turn water into wine.

without any info on events of the years that have past you can make "assumptions" .. well many have benefited much more than gathering info on "watches"

this community is "NOT" just about watches..

I have deleted pics that tooks several hours to compose .. it was meant for members who needed "support" in making decisions,.. instead of answering individual PM's.. well.. after 40 views only a few posted.. if you count the man hours spent on these threads and have actually spent over 100 hours doing them I think your view would be much different..

of course we have ego's .. but that is not the solitary reason that members spend so much time for reviews and additional time taking over 50 pics to post several..

try spending half your day on a review time and time again... I really believe your outlook will change.. with apathy from those who hit and run..

there are dozens of other things that can be done for EGO..

Guest London luke
without any info on events of the years that have past you can make "assumptions" .. well many have benefited much more than gathering info on "watches"

this community is "NOT" just about watches..

I have deleted pics that tooks several hours to compose .. it was meant for members who needed "support" in making decisions,.. instead of answering individual PM's.. well.. after 40 views only a few posted.. if you count the man hours spent on these threads and have actually spent over 100 hours doing them I think your view would be much different..

of course we have ego's .. but that is not the solitary reason that members spend so much time for reviews and additional time taking over 50 pics to post several..

try spending half your day on a review time and time again... I really believe your outlook will change.. with apathy from those who hit and run..

there are dozens of other things that can be done for EGO..

why did you delete the pics?

Do you not you see my point........

..........The forums arent what they used to be

Gotta concur with that one!

They are about 100,000 times improved!

As an "older" watchaholic, I can assure you that from the days of RWCC, which was primarily a discusion board, things are more than a little improved.

Thru the days of TRC, to RWG1, and the formation of many others after that, who could ever have foreseen the levels of information which would become available.

No more "wink wink" who did you get that from...in PM's!

No more... could someone post a shot that we can actually see!

These forums, have amassed a huge collection of information, and anyone can, with enough time spent, get most questions answered.

They can also read countless top quality reveiws, source quality information on repairs, parts, see some of the best watch photography available on the 'net...or anywhere. They can now also access directly suppliers who are at least held accountable, just because the forum and it's members exist. (Think about it)

However, all forums, will go through cyclical levels of interest, quality, membership, and posts.

It however has been a great ride so far... hang on to your hats for the next 10 years!

Again...gotta agree...they ain't what they used to be. Neither is the old grey mare!

Offshore

Wow, where did that come from?

Quite a harsh comment centered around the older members and those who have taken up their time to offer something back to the forum.

As one who has done up numerous technical posts, and who tries to help members daily with their technical questions, I think that comment is uncalled for.

I certainly have a life beyond watches or this forum. I will agree that I am very "anal" when it comes to my workmanship standards for watches, but I am sure the members who receive their watches back appreciate my attention to detail. I post for the benifit of the forum, not one (me). If everyone contributes we all win, and although I am not sure if you have done up any detailed posts for the members here, I can assure you that even a simple post with pictures and good text requires hours of work. Those hours could be spend doing something outside of this community, but I consider RWG a great community, where I have a lot of good friends, and for the good of the community I put some of my time giving back to it.

RG

Guest London luke
Wow, where did that come from?

Quite a harsh comment centered around the older members and those who have taken up their time to offer something back to the forum.

As one who has done up numerous technical posts, and who tries to help members daily with their technical questions, I think that comment is uncalled for.

I certainly have a life beyond watches or this forum. I will agree that I am very "anal" when it comes to my workmanship standards for watches, but I am sure the members who receive their watches back appreciate my attention to detail. I post for the benifit of the forum, not one (me). If everyone contributes we all win, and although I am not sure if you have done up any detailed posts for the members here, I can assure you that even a simple post with pictures and good text requires hours of work. Those hours could be spend doing something outside of this community, but I consider RWG a great community, where I have a lot of good friends, and for the good of the community I put some of my time giving back to it.

RG

it came from me!!

Forums are funny places. "New homes and families" for some. Whist you admit to been anal about your workmanship (same as me) which is a great thing. when you get people complaining all the time about new members and the way things change etc its like they feel they "own the place"

to take the time and effort to post a nice report and pics is good for everyone. To then delete then because they failed to get the "praise " etc the Op thinks they deserve is a bit childish.

it came from me!!

Forums are funny places. "New homes and families" for some. Whist you admit to been anal about your workmanship (same as me) which is a great thing. when you get people complaining all the time about new members and the way things change etc its like they feel they "own the place"

to take the time and effort to post a nice report and pics is good for everyone. To then delete then because they failed to get the "praise " etc the Op thinks they deserve is a bit childish.

You know what LL...

I've taken the time to "review" your participation in this community...

And I'm not to impressed...

Consider yourself on a mini vacation...

Say for 3 days...

At which time you can read until your little hearts content...

But can't no posty...

During which time you can determine your future fate within our home...

TT

I think the pessimism is just normal for some seasoned members, who have lost their passion for this hobby. It probably goes in cycles. I think Doc just needs a few new watches. :)
I think Doc's not the only one that needs a new watch.

Is that an offer to donate BT? ;)

Ah gents, if only it were that simple. But fact is I've not exactly gone cold turkey of late. I jumped on the first run of the 116710 (yes the CHS, *touch wood* all fine), and finally got my Ti Chrono Avenger franken in hand, oh and a preowned SLR, not to mention a gen something with possibly another about to arrive. And then there's a couple of vintage projects that have progressed a little. So it's not a lack of interest in the subject matter.

As I said earlier, I can't put my finger on it exactly, but it's there in the reduced number of threads I feel inclined or compelled to post in, mainly as a result of the atmosphere, the tone of some (a few ruining it for everyone else) recent arrivals who think they know it all and don't mind sharing that self-inflated opinion. Even within this very thread, just now, we've seen one poster temporarily gagged for being...well, an annoying [censored]....really, no other way to describe it.

Recent examples include some aggressive posting followed by an unsolicited PM of the most patronising and laughably pathetic type, offering me further 'insight' on my 'guesses' about a certain watch in production. Then there's the price hiking seen in the sales board - only this week I took issue with a new 25-post member trying to flog a 3k franken for over 6k, with a pre-emptive disclaimer that it was worth it and anyone doubting that "should do some research!" as well as offering a pitch the likes of which hasn't been seen since RBJ was amongst us....."tightened the bracelet, polished it, looks better than gen lol" that sort of thing. What got me was I seemed to be the lone voice of protest and all the other comments were "great watch.....good buy if only I had the money". Thankfully the mods stepped in on that one finally but still can't help but feel there is more of a promotional/mercenary tone to this place, rather than the educational/friendship one there used to be. C'est la vie I suppose, the world is changing but that doesn't mean I have to change with it.

On the plus side, I today received a gift from a very good friend and one of the nicest gents aboard - only a little something, but the gesture alone reminds me what this place CAN engender in some people. Shared interests and shared humour, with friendship borne out of that. A community above all else, where we all look out for each other and offer/receive tips and advice. That was the original rationale T had for setting up this and other boards in the first place, but somewhere along the way, we as a community have lost sight of that.

On that note then, I think that's my cue to take my leave. Until next time then, adieu....

:bye1:

Sorry you see it that way Doc because the truth is much different.

The 6K franken you refer to started much debate within the Admin section but I am sure that you, and in fact, all our members want a well thought out ruling on these type of sales and not just an immediate knee jerk reaction.

The Admin team has (by the continued inclusion of senior members) only improved over time and we are still doing the same job we did at the formation of this board, only better.

Ken

Sorry you see it that way Doc because the truth is much different.

The 6K franken you refer to started much debate within the Admin section but I am sure that you, and in fact, all our members want a well thought out ruling on these type of sales and not just an immediate knee jerk reaction.

The Admin team has (by the continued inclusion of senior members) only improved over time and we are still doing the same job we did at the formation of this board, only better.

Ken

As defensive and prickly as ever Ken *sigh*

Out of all that, the one tiny thing you choose to pick on is a throwaway word, unintended as a slight...."finally" referring to the mods taking down that auction. I've never criticised the mods for anything, either openly or in private, so why you take offence to that comment I don't know. I have nothing but respect for the time and effort Admin, Nanuq, TT and the rest of you put in, that's not what we were talking about. That particular auction did run a while, and obviously until Offshore kindly PM'd me to let me know action was being taken I was none the wiser. But that's irrelevant now.

Nice to know I'll be missed. Cheers. -_-