When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New "Ultimate" 212 out...any good?

millemiglia

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but "synthetic saphire" from Josh and Andrew means plain old glass and/or plastic. So it will scratch, especially since it's domed, which is a real give away. I have an old 212 and while I LOVE the model, I would go with a model with a real saphire crystal. Then you can beat on it a bit.

It's a very nice rep actually. It has the proper second ticks (coming out from the center instead of in from the bezel). It seems a bit overpriced for a 7750 with mineral glass. I got lucky and got one with a sapphire way back in the day but some claim those 'explode' more than the mineral glass.

It looks pretty good to me - correct tics, correct black subdial hands, the dial font looks pretty good, the crown looks ok (need an expert to chime in) too. The lever and pushers look a little off, and the printing on the rotor looks sloppy. I've heard also that the sapphire crystals are more prone to exploding, but no personal experience with that. It'd be great if the price works its way down on this one (ala APROO, Graham Diver's, most recently the Skyland)....

Looks pretty good. I too have an older 212 and there are some good updates on this one. I wonder if you can buy the display back cover separate as many of the older ones did not have serial number on them like the one pictured does.

Only thing I can note is the chrono. pushers should be polished. That's an easy fix though.

Side note: I really need to wear my 212 more!

Edited by ZainoDetail

A review with detailed pics (macro shots) is needed then (for better understanding of the finishing quality).

I wouldn't be so negative though, unless you are trying to sell it as real, on your wrist no one will see the rotor and you will probably get away with it.

Not too shabby for an out-of the box Pam rep, wouldn't you say? :)

i guess my point was that they have the ABILITY to make precise engravings and also have the ABILITY to fill those engravings with paint without it looking like the paint is coming out of the engraving and seeping into the CDG of the rotor... so, whats the deal?!?!

is the rotor guy missing fingers?

do we as a community need to fork up 10 bucks to get the guy some READERS?!?! (glasses)

further more... the "use genuine as sample" is getting to be a stupid comment if they can visually see the details on the gen (supposedly), but refuse to replicate the details... the overall finish of the movement has always been an issue, but why not at least the rotor right... they don't have that problem with the HBB, or Breits...

it will never be accurate ... no flyback functionality... so dson't demonstrate the chrono ! mineral glass would be a deal breaker if i was interested in this.

• 1 year later...