When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

More people know about reps than I thought!

Dutchy

Funny thing happened today....

I'm in the middle of my internship at a pharmaceutical company and today the CEO shows up and offered to take me to lunch along with the heads of Marketing and Merchandising. We got to talking and pretty soon I revealed my love for watches. They all started talking about their watch collections and that they also had a couple of reps. The CEO is more of a gen guy (Rolex, etc) but also had a couple of Cartier and Bvlgari reps and the head of Marketing had a rep Breitling Navi on.

I didn't expect any of this at all....and just shows you how rep lovers are everywhere! B)

Have a good one!

Funny thing happened today....

I'm in the middle of my internship at a pharmaceutical company and today the CEO shows up and offered to take me to lunch along with the heads of Marketing and Merchandising. We got to talking and pretty soon I revealed my love for watches. They all started talking about their watch collections and that they also had a couple of reps. The CEO is more of a gen guy (Rolex, etc) but also had a couple of Cartier and Bvlgari reps and the head of Marketing had a rep Breitling Navi on.

I didn't expect any of this at all....and just shows you how rep lovers are everywhere! B)

Have a good one!

Maybe there are members of RWG :lol:

If so welcome to them :thumbsupsmileyanim:

They don't speak English :lol:

A lot of people who could afford a gen, are buying and wearing reps. Driving expensive cars, wearing reps. Specially for them, the high end replica is the perfect bluff... Nodody would expect it, same as you did not. Just imagine how many people... :)

Cheers,

J.

Edited by hooky

Your right, though I suspect they pony up abit more than we do on the whole. :D

Had lunch with some fellows last month from the head office and one had on a IWC Ingie, showed it to me and when I flipped it over I confirmed it was a rep. Another had on a Pam 196 that was off the dealers rack. Later that day after all the business done we went out for beverages.

After a couple of pints or so I was talking watches and these 2 shuffled over to chat. Later when it was just the 3 of us I asked if I could see the the Ingie again. Then I smiled and let him know the little known flaw on it that`s not fixable. He was like how did you know, I never even knew that was wrong. Looked over to his compadre from the wizards tower and said your next. Both were very surprised that I called them out so easily and grateful I hadn't done it during the visits that day. After that the discussion was all about what was available and how do you know what to look for in flaws. They were absolutely astounded in knowing there are forums dedicated to this hobby.

End result, 2 new members here that are probably reading this sometime soon.

Btw, how you doing Dutch.

A lot of people who could afford a gen, are buying and wearing reps. Driving expensive cars, wearing reps. Specially for them, the high end replica is the perfect bluff... Nodody would expect it, same as you did not. Just imagine how many people... :)

Cheers,

J.

That is absolutely correct. High-end reps are very convincing, and if you want to make it believable, you should generally be well-off. I make incredibly good money in my profession, so having two rolex's and a graham is quite believable to those who know me.

See: pic of me with the noobmariner... I love it!

post-14133-1219979406_thumb.jpg

Your right, though I suspect they pony up abit more than we do on the whole. :D

Had lunch with some fellows last month from the head office and one had on a IWC Ingie, showed it to me and when I flipped it over I confirmed it was a rep. Another had on a Pam 196 that was off the dealers rack. Later that day after all the business done we went out for beverages.

After a couple of pints or so I was talking watches and these 2 shuffled over to chat. Later when it was just the 3 of us I asked if I could see the the Ingie again. Then I smiled and let him know the little known flaw on it that`s not fixable. He was like how did you know, I never even knew that was wrong. Looked over to his compadre from the wizards tower and said your next. Both were very surprised that I called them out so easily and grateful I hadn't done it during the visits that day. After that the discussion was all about what was available and how do you know what to look for in flaws. They were absolutely astounded in knowing there are forums dedicated to this hobby.

End result, 2 new members here that are probably reading this sometime soon.

Btw, how you doing Dutch.

Wow. I love how I posted about seeing a poor guy with a fake submariner and quietly informing him its fake because it had a quartz movement, with noone else around mind you, and I get chased right out of here very violently. And then this guy over here calls out people he doesnt even know on their fakes in front of THEIR friends and noone says a word.

.... but far be it from me to make an assumption that this may in fact be *gasp* BIASED!

Wow. I love how I posted about seeing a poor guy with a fake submariner and quietly informing him its fake because it had a quartz movement, with noone else around mind you, and I get chased right out of here very violently. And then this guy over here calls out people he doesnt even know on their fakes in front of THEIR friends and noone says a word.

.... but far be it from me to make an assumption that this may in fact be *gasp* BIASED!

You're a giant tool.

A lot of people wearing fakes.

My Boss is wearing a fake Pannie since we have buisness in China too ;)

Funny thing because he has the money to wear Gen Watches.

Of course. Thats why people who have money actually have money. They find a way to get what they want for the right price.

I can say after what happened the last few days, I will never own a gen. I bought a skeleton tourbillon for 1,000 bucks and it was a very agonizing experience spending a thousand dollars on a watch.... my cheapest watch if it was real would be my ss sub, which is like 3500 bucks. Not a chance in hell.

There are AT LEAST three reasons people who can afford gens buy reps.

1) They are not big "watch" types, and don't see the value in spending several thousand for something that is repped for a few hundred. I know several of these people. They would just rather spend their money on other toys.

2) They are big into watches, and they own several gens, but cannot justify spending the scores of thousands it would cost to own all of the gen watches they want.

3) Out of principal because they dislike Rolex or other luxury brands.

I fall into the second category.

There are AT LEAST three reasons people who can afford gens buy reps.

1) They are not big "watch" types, and don't see the value in spending several thousand for something that is repped for a few hundred. I know several of these people. They would just rather spend their money on other toys.

2) They are big into watches, and they own several gens, but cannot justify spending the scores of thousands it would cost to own all of the gen watches they want.

3) Out of principal because they dislike Rolex or other luxury brands.

I fall into the second category.

Great post. I would fall into the first one except for the fact that I'm also a huge 'watch' type :)

Running into watch people is always fun. I wish I could get close enough to the random Pam, Breit, etc. spottings in the wild to confirm authenticity or even just shoot the [censored] with the owners. Also go's to show even the keenest eye can't tell without grabbing someones wrist and looking for the tell.

Good story.