When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What Gen would you get for $2k-$4k.

bruce79

Do not buy a real Rolex (unless you buy an antique one, that will be unique and hold its value...)

I'd get a brand new real Skyland (in grey); looks awesome in all three: bracelett, rubber divers strap and leather "pilot" strap... timeless. And, frankly, I feel like Rolex's are a little passe these days... (most people assume you're wearing a fake one, anyway, even if you're not!)

Second choice: you don't like PAMs? Come on... There are tons of models; find one you like. They hold their vaule big time (and some even appreciate); so if you get sick of it, you can sell it easily. Maybe an Automatic, like the 104 or 164... or Power Reserve Auto, like the 090. Those actually look decent on braceletts...

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a new Sub soon just for that reason. Unlike the 16710 I think will actually wear it and it looks like a good investment for all the old style Rolex watches. End of an era...

A 16800 Submariner or old style 16610

Believe me prices grow up the next years when the new style Submariner come out...

For example I bought my Tudor Sub for 800 DM a view years back

now they go up to 2600

I think you should go with the Rolex route. SD or Sub is very good idea or even a gmt master II. Rolex tend to keep its value better than Tag or Breitling. Omega PO is also a good idea. Since i have both gen in my collection and i liked them both.

They are going to belong to my only son when he graduate from high school for sure.

I hope you will find a good buy with your choice but please don't quit buying reps. I said that before when i sold most

of my rep to purchase the PO last year and i still have 8 reps in my collection now.

Hi Robbie,

Your recommendation is very well thought of and a lot of efforts have been put into it! I would definitely look at your recommendation when it is my turn to own a gen!

Car

I have given your question a lot of thought and made these same choices many times for my own collection. Here is what I came up with.

If you are willing to look at new pieces in that price range I think Breitling wins hands down on value for the money. Their ETA based movements are just that and anything but stock. World class fit and finishing for a song. I also think buying these at deep discount outside the AD's if necessary is prudent. To me, the reason for paying a bigger price at an AD is reserved for peices that I always want to have access to the factory because they have in house movements not everyone can work on. Plus, the likelyhood of a 7750 or 2824 Breitling breaking inside the warantee period id unlikely - and if it did, the warranty from a top three online retailer will suffice as they can source whatever parts to fix it.

Anyway, that said, a Steelfish can be had for $2200 or so and if you get the bracelet version, changing to leather or rubber turns it into a whole new piece. Three watches in one. IMO, The Fish is the absolute best new watch value for two grand - period. The Skyland is similar in versatility and gets you in at $3500 if you want a chrono. For versatility reasons I would go with the black dial version for either of these

The PO would be a great runner up for $2500 or so and offers nice versatility with the leather and rubber as extras too. the Coaxial escapement 2892 is nice for service reasons, but while this watch is REALLY REALLY nice for the case, the Fish is still higher quality by far to the touch. I'm trying to be objective as I can but that is my true opinion owning both watches

If you want to stay outside the "norm" and go up a notch in percieved class the IWC Aquatimer series is a great choice - also if you want to push the limit of your budget. On a bracelet, you can get into an AT for $3900 or so for non-chrono and $4300 for the chrono for either the steel or Ti version. Although I have to tell you, and this may shock a lot of people, but these watches simply arent as well made as either the Fish OR the PO. The AR and lume are also both VERY MARGINAL. They are nice and prestigious and really cool looking, but the fit and finish of the case, bracelet and movement don't match the Fish or PO. The bracelet though is the best design ever IMO and the most comfortable of the lot. Anyway, I said a lot that may surprise people but I still love the watch. The cool factor is just so high that I forgive it's shotcomings. It also isn't my only watch and I wouldn't own it if it were going to be. But I still think it is a good value for the money so I mention it here

I know it is out of your price range, but if you can swing it, there is no cooler watch for the money in almost every way than the UN Maxi Diver. The fit and finish is just so amazing that you can't even BELIEVE it when holding one. Just levels everything in its class and I own many of its competitors so that is a completely objective comment. If I were going to spend $4K as you said, I would just save up another grand and get one of these if it were going to be my only gen for a while. Hands down. Retail is $7500 on bracelet and $6900 on rubber, but they can be had for around $5300 and $4900 respectively.

Easy for me to spend your money, but if you want my honest opinion you have it as I carefully considered and ended up owning all of the watches I mentioned - and I still do and wouldn't consider getting rid of any of them (which is saying something as I am fickle). But if I were you and I had to choose one, get the UN MMD or get a Fish as they are each the best sports watch in their price class.

UN12r.jpg

Fish12r.jpg

PO18.jpg

Aquatimer7r.jpg

Hey there sunshine... Allow me to chime in and offer to assist in funding your gen purchase (YOU KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT)...

There are a couple watches I have been eyeing locally (for both of us).

One is an N serial Explorer II white dial with box and papers for $3500.

And a Z serial number Explorer II black dial with box and reg card for $3900.

Both are local, and still for sale as of this afternoon.

If interested in either, let me know and I will point you in the right direction. Im also sure offers would be accepted on either.

I'd get (well, I did get) a Bucherer Patravi Chrono. Looks great on a strap or bracelet, top quality, and rare. And, not really repped. Chrono may be a bit out of your range, but not if you can find one pre-owned. T knows what I am talking about.

Here it is :

038.jpg

Bucherer might be the most underrated Swiss watch for the money. If anyone is less than familiar check them out. I have met the guy as he comes to town here where I live - has a home here. Interesting guy. The richest guy in Switzerland I think and if it wasn't for him there would be no Rolex. Anyway, I have been checking out the more complicated Patravi Chronograde lately. All that for like 10K or so. I just can't belive it every time I see it. A Perpetual calendar big date flyback chrono with power reserve for ten grand or so. I almost want to get it because I don't know how to justify NOT buying that much of a complication for that price. Fit and finsh for the line is great too. Congrats on getting a CB. Here is the Chronograde version for anyone not familiar:

patravichronograde.jpg

Guest carlsbadrolex

J, how about a 2001 16610 with T dial for $3800??? All boxes, papers and original invoice.

Its local.

Let me know if you can look at it today or tomorrow, I dont think it will last past that.

T

If one were going to sell off their collection to fund a gen, what would you recommend? I figure I'm working with a range of $2k-$4k depending on what I sell (I've got a small but quality collection), how much I'm willing to chip in from my wallet. I prefer a pre-owned watch because I believe in getting the most watch for my money...a few scratches or swirl marks make no difference to me. Specialy dive/pilot brands really don't interest me but I know I can get into the mid range of Omega and the low range of Rolex/Panerai/IWC so what do you think? I just want a watch that I can wear everyday, will look great on a bracelet or a strap, and something I can hand down to my kid one day. :)

Any suggestions? Also, I'm not above just getting a Sub either... :p

Planet ocean or IWC ingeneuir

Yes, clearly a rep. The pearl is the most obvious tell. There is also another easy tell that hasn't been discussed here that I know of. The applied numerals "black paint" on the edges is more pronounced and sloppy in comparison. It is the first thing I always notice when I look at one. Maybe the rep indices are taller than the gens? Not sure there...

This watch has been called out as a replica.

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me but I personally think that, after having had the opportunity to look into some Rolexes, Omegas and IWCs, only the IWC is a good value for the money. I'd definately stay away from Rolex, some of the finishing and over all craftsmanship on subs and daytonas gives me the impression that you will pay disproportionally for the brand when buying a Rolex. I have mixed feelings about genuine Omegas. Especially when it comes to "passing a watch on to your kid", I would prefer to buy a watch from a watchmaker or company that puts out smaller circulation than for example the Swatch owned Omega. Those watches are likely to keep more of their orginal value. In the mentioned price range I would have a closer look at one of the following watches/brands (all from different stiles and not too much "Zeitgeist" design):

- M

Yeah, I forgot about Tourby. He built me a bespoke timepiece that is world class for under a grand. Just amazing and totally unique. Plenty of choices too. Here is mine with a rare enamel dial, flame blued hands, a SOPROD 6498 and bony croc strap. Fit and finsh is equal or better than any Swiss timepiece by a name manufactory...

T16.jpg

T2.jpg

T15.jpg

T4.jpg

T3.jpg

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me but I personally think that, after having had the opportunity to look into some Rolexes, Omegas and IWCs, only the IWC is a good value for the money. I'd definately stay away from Rolex, some of the finishing and over all craftsmanship on subs and daytonas gives me the impression that you will pay disproportionally for the brand when buying a Rolex. I have mixed feelings about genuine Omegas. Especially when it comes to "passing a watch on to your kid", I would prefer to buy a watch from a watchmaker or company that puts out smaller circulation than for example the Swatch owned Omega. Those watches are likely to keep more of their orginal value. In the mentioned price range I would have a closer look at one of the following watches/brands (all from different stiles and not too much "Zeitgeist" design):

- M