When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Best Pre-V case?

rmcsherry

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I honestly don't know Ross. The best preV shape case that I have was my first Panerai rep, a 005 from EL, which had a sapphire crystal without any ARish coating and best of all it had the (incorrect for a 005) very accurate 5218/201A caseback. Just made for boring out the lugs and dropping a logo dial into. It's with The Zigmeister at present to assemble with a gen G series CG and a CdG striped ETA 6497, similar to the real deal. The finished article should be the best we can achieve with the currently available dials.

As far as the cases are concerned I don't know if there is a variety of shapes available from different sources at the same time or whether different batches have varied in an attempt to get closer to the correct current shape. From my experience I would suggest that you try a WTB for an early 005 with the incorrect caseback etc. BTW, this caseback is a very accurate replication of the 5218/201A and carries the same serial number as 'Mr Yellow's' gen. I have often suspected that the case and caseback may have been replicated by someone who had direct access to that actual watch as both items are accurate to that particular gen. AFAIK that gen watch lived in the same part of the world as the rep factories and before I discovered the rep community I can remember that a replica 5218/201A dial was also available. It was not engraved but otherwise was reasonable accurate and was available on ioffer (possibly from River) about 4 or 5 years ago. I may still have a pic somewhere.

Your EL 005 is certainly the type of watch I'm looking for! Thanks for the comments, I'll have a search and see if I can find any good links.

Strangely, whilst searching I came across this link... 5218-218a - I have tried to buy things on this site (without any luck) before, but the 218a and 202a that this guy has seem to have heavily modded dials - certainly an unexpected find!

Your EL 005 is certainly the type of watch I'm looking for! Thanks for the comments, I'll have a search and see if I can find any good links.

Strangely, whilst searching I came across this link... 5218-218a - I have tried to buy things on this site (without any luck) before, but the 218a and 202a that this guy has seem to have heavily modded dials - certainly an unexpected find!

Those look like standard DSN reps to me. What seems heavily modded about those dials? :huh:

I think I *may* have found a source. Other than slight strap 'dimples', the case looks pretty good - I'll post some photos and a link to the seller if it proves to be the watch pictured (although I won't hold my breath, as even Helenarou still has photos of her old case in the eBay listings).

I think I *may* have found a source. Other than slight strap 'dimples', the case looks pretty good - I'll post some photos and a link to the seller if it proves to be the watch pictured (although I won't hold my breath, as even Helenarou still has photos of her old case in the eBay listings).

I am looking forward to an update...

The Helenarou cases I picked up have the exact same profile as the Pre-V ....I am beginning to think that as PAMMan said , these were made using a gen 201 as a sample......

I just wish Helenarou could supply a job lot of the same case ....I might give MK a shout with the details/spec and see if he can source 20-30 cases for us ...

Keep you posted

Regards

FGD

I could go for a case! Right now - the best looking one I can find is actually DSN's new 03a case. Same looking lugs.

The Helenarou cases I picked up have the exact same profile as the Pre-V ....I am beginning to think that as PAMMan said , these were made using a gen 201 as a sample......

I just wish Helenarou could supply a job lot of the same case ....I might give MK a shout with the details/spec and see if he can source 20-30 cases for us ...

Keep you posted

Regards

FGD

No kidding, FGD.

Both the case and the CG look good (for obviously different reasons).

Hmmmm...

My thoughts exactly. Hmmmm.... Especially since i think that the screws are the standard ones. Nice thing also - DSN still has some ETA movements..... Not correct for a Pre-V project - but at least they would be bulletproof behind the 201A back.

I will still wait to see if we can get cases another way. I think that these DSN cases do have the dimple.